Fly by night dog groomer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly by night dog groomer?

I cant believe this , last night I go to this new client she had a very old shepX I had arranged to meet her at 6pm because the husband could help me get the old dog up my step-van`s stairs(I need a ramp I know!).

The wife asked the husband to help, at first did not want to touch HIS OWN DOG! but after awhile he helped out, we get this dog (a very sweet old guy) on the table (mine lowers).Then he said, my daughter will stay here and help you (she is about 20 ).I the explained because of insurance reasons I cannot have someone back here, he than turns to me and says "YOU! have insurance, your joking I just assumed you were a fly-by-night operation"

I tried to tell him I have a business licence and pay taxes but he just stomped off.

The rest of the grooming went well, I have a DIY lips system so the dog can be supported, I have a DIY bathing system, many people say my set-up looks professional, Nice paint and graphics. Maybe that is why he said that, because we built everything ourselves.

I just had to vent, I have been grooming 20 yrs I guess I am sensitive because I am privately trained with no formal training or certification although I am certifiable (LOL)

Stephan is right I guess we need some type of certification process so the public will trust us or something more I have no clue..

Originally posted by maladee View Post
    I I just had to vent, I have been grooming 20 yrs I guess I am sensitive because I am privately trained with no formal training or certification although I am certifiable (LOL)

Stephan is right I guess we need some type of certification process so the public will trust us or something more I have no clue..
    I don't think it has anything to do with you being privately trained as most people that call dont usually ask about your formal training or qualifications. I wouldn't take ignorance of some people personally.

Comment

I am very symphatic with you. I don't have a moble unit but groom in house. I get the comment all them time of "If you had a real job you would know what it is like to work." I know they are very sincere about the statement, but really. I am just tired of being under someone elses . Vent all you want, because some of us know exactly how you feel.

Comment

You know, licensing or certification isn't going to change the public perception of what we do. Especially for people who won't even touch their own dog. To those people dogs are just a commodity, and we're dog butt washers.

For fly-by-night comments, try this. "Well, you know, even brooms have to have insurance if you fly them" smile sweetly, excuse yourself, and get to work.

Comment

I just had to reply to this. First of all you are very brave to groom such an elderly sheepdog.
          I just did an 11 yr old Shepherd mix in the small shop where I groom and it was a near disaster.
          To make it short, I took every precaution with this old guy. Lifting him on and off the table (which was only
          a foot and a half off the floor) lifting him in and out of the bath. I finally groomed him on the floor.
          Nothing noticeable happened. When the mom came for him, I told her he really shouldn't be groomed
          at his age. It's just too hard on him. She sort of blew me off and left with him only to return a minute
          later telling me that he couldn't walk right. What happened?! I told her everything I did and that nothing
          really happened. He didn't fall off the table or anything like that. I felt terrible and didn't charge her.
          She said they were going to the vet. Of course I was alone when all this happened. When my two
          bosses arrived I told them everything and they backed me up. I asked the mom to let us know how
          he did at the vet. This was about a week ago and we haven't heard anything so we just hope
          he's OK and all it was was his Arthritis acting up.

Bottom line is that we all agreed - no more geriatric big dogs. It's just too hard on them and the big
          guys are so vulnerable to all those hip problems. This dog never should have been in a grooming salon
          and my mistake was to accept him in the first place. I should have refused to groom him. At least I did have
          her sign a Senior pet release ahead of time.

As for the people who don't think this is a "real job". I think they are jealous of anybody with the initiative
          to have their own business. I have had corporate jobs and you are really under someone's in those places.
          Believe me I would much rather scrape poop off of dogs butts than work at many of the places I've been in
          the past.

Comment

Originally posted by cockers4ever View Post
            I get the comment all them time of "If you had a real job you would know what it is like to work." I know they are very sincere about the statement, but really.
            Boy, I have NEVER had someone make that comment to me-and if they did, I'd be certain to tell them if they ever groomed a dog, they would know what it is like to REALLY work. How is that a sincere statement in any way??? I couldn't associate with people that thought that way of me. I have to wonder if you portray an attitude that feeds this thought process. I am not trying to be mean in any way, but if you exude extreme confidence in what you do (please don't confuse this with being defensive), I think your response might be different.

Comment

So, here's a question. If big old dogs are "too old to be groomed", and "shouldn't be in a grooming shop" how is the owner supposed to get their dog groomed? Old dogs don't quit shedding, don't quit getting dirty, don't quit matting. They need to be groomed just like every other dog needs to be groomed.

It may be that not all shops are appropriately equipped to groom these older guys, but it isn't that they don't need to be groomed. IMO, I'd rather be equipped to groom geriatric dogs than to send the old dogs off to a different groomer whom they have not met before. I think it's just good customer service to work with all ages of dogs.

Comment

Licensing will not help add cachet. I tell people I am a member of I.S.C.C. & they just laugh.
                "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Originally posted by dmix View Post

I have had corporate jobs and you are really under someone's in those places.
                  Believe me I would much rather scrape poop off of dogs butts than work at many of the places I've been in
                  the past.
                  Ditto, I have never been happier than I am now,, washing doggie butts,,,lol

Comment

I was a teacher and had to have INSURANCE! But many people don't realize that. Other people don't realize what it takes to do someone else's position. And people say "stuff" just to say stuff.

Comment

Wow that's wrong. I must say that I am not a certified groomer but respect that of course. In 20 years I have never been disrespected by anyone. I just don't understand.

Comment

Some do and

I always I'am proud to say I went to grooming school for 8 months. Payed for the training. Way back in 1983,,,-27 years ago. Where I have many customers and a few that I'd like to forget ,telling people ahead of time about your yourself and your business quiets them down,but there's always gonna be some jerks. Hate to say it but; Think of it this way the dog will probably died soon and you won't have to go back there again.

Originally posted by Dog Daze View Post
                        I don't think it has anything to do with you being privately trained as most people that call dont usually ask about your formal training or qualifications. I wouldn't take ignorance of some people personally.

Comment

Originally posted by SwissNChow View Post
                          So, here's a question. If big old dogs are "too old to be groomed", and "shouldn't be in a grooming shop" how is the owner supposed to get their dog groomed? Old dogs don't quit shedding, don't quit getting dirty, don't quit matting. They need to be groomed just like every other dog needs to be groomed.

It may be that not all shops are appropriately equipped to groom these older guys, but it isn't that they don't need to be groomed. IMO, I'd rather be equipped to groom geriatric dogs than to send the old dogs off to a different groomer whom they have not met before. I think it's just good customer service to work with all ages of dogs.
                          The answer is simple. Send them to someone like me. A groomer at a vet's office. Honestly, very few dogs are going to be adversely affected by changing groomers. But they might be adversely affected by a heart attack or stroke.

In reality, a grooming shop can't be appropriately equipped to deal with the older guys. Shops can't stock emergency medications, for example. No IV sets and fluids, and no one to start an IV even if they had the supplies. Shops aren't going to have an oxygen tank, and none of them would have trache tubes, either.

There comes a point where dogs (and cats) don't belong in a shop. They should be groomed at a vet clinic, where the necessary drugs and equipment are close at hand.

Comment

Very Well Said

at a vet's Office

QUOTE=Helly;409824]The answer is simple. Send them to someone like me. A groomer at a vet's office. Honestly, very few dogs are going to be adversely affected by changing groomers. But they might be adversely affected by a heart attack or stroke.

In reality, a grooming shop can't be appropriately equipped to deal with the older guys. Shops can't stock emergency medications, for example. No IV sets and fluids, and no one to start an IV even if they had the supplies. Shops aren't going to have an oxygen tank, and none of them would have trache tubes, either.

There comes a point where dogs (and cats) don't belong in a shop. They should be groomed at a vet clinic, where the necessary drugs and equipment are close at hand.[/QUOTE]

Comment

I agree with Helly!

If I can't safely do a dog or cat due to age, or tremprement, I refer them to an In-house groomer at a vet. We did that at my salon, and I still do in my mobile.

In my mobile, I tend to refer more due to age sometimes simply because with advanced age come other issues due to stress, and in my mobile, I'm not at the ready to drop everything and haul to the vet if I needed too, as in a shop setting.

Yes I'm an IPG certified groomer, but I also know when to say no, and that takes just good common sense. I'm a firm believer in licensing, but that in itself won't make someone a better groomer, which is a debate for another thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X