Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disinfectant for Mobile

Hi,
    I was wondering what everyone uses between dogs to disinfect thier van. I bought best shot but if you don't spray and run out the door we start coughing and i just know it can't be good for us. On a normal day its not a big deal we can spray down and leave and then its aired out by our next dog but i am going to do some events with a local dog boutique and will be doing dog baths or grooms back to back. I hate chemicals but my business partner is a vet tech and they have a large amount of parvo dogs coming in...1 was even 3 yrs old and i hate to not use something after each dog. What does everyone else do and also does everyone do a deeper clean at the end of the day and what products do you use for that. Thanks

You reminded of something with this. The www.petairapy.com device is also used in mobiles and can disinfect tools, interior walls anything exposed to the light, even after each grooming. I have talked with a mobile groomer who may be installing one, which of course doesn't replace cleaning, but does potentially create a more disinfected environment easily throughout the day, including tools, even blades if you lay them out etc. Interesting potential.
    Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the Board Help Talk Forum. Thanks for coming to our community a part of PetGroomer.com https://www.petgroomer.com.

Comment

Petairapy looks interesting but the info I have read it is very expensive, hundreds of dollars, unless I read it wrong. What I saw it isn't a liquid. I use diluted bleach and for the tub Foamy Q and A but it also stinks.

Comment

I agree the Petairapy looks interesting, but is quite pricey. Also, there's no mention of parvo or rabies, so how do we know if it's effective against that?

There aren't a plethora of things that will kill parvo. Bleach is probably the least expensive, but it has it's limitations. It's great to wipe down surfaces like floors and tables, but it will pit metal, so you really shouldn't use it on blades and scissors. Some people can't take the smell. It does have to be mixed at the proper ratio, no more, no less, which is 1 part bleach to 30 parts water. Surfaces have to stay wet for 10 minutes if you want to kill parvo and rabies virus.

There are other disinfectents that will do the job, but they're more expensive. One local source to check would be a medical/hospital equipment company. Building supply companies might also have something that would do the job.

Comment

I've always used Chlorihexiderm solution, when I worked at a vet clinic thats all we used and its odorless. Some groomers even clean their blades with it also.

Comment

I use chlorhexadine to clean my bathing unit, and Parvolan on my table. Between dogs in a salon, I wouldn't do a wall-wash-down, so I don't know that I'd do it in a van, either. 'Course I'd require vaccines be up to date anyway to help.

Chlorhexadine doesn't kill parvo so I don't know that I'd make that my ultimate cleaner, but I do like it.

Tammy in Utah
            Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
              I use chlorhexadine to clean my bathing unit, and Parvolan on my table. Between dogs in a salon, I wouldn't do a wall-wash-down, so I don't know that I'd do it in a van, either. 'Course I'd require vaccines be up to date anyway to help.

Chlorhexadine doesn't kill parvo so I don't know that I'd make that my ultimate cleaner, but I do like it.

Tammy in Utah
              I am mobile and require proof of vacs, every two weeks I wipe the whole place down with Northwoods then open all my windows and turn my floor dryer on. It may be excessive but I like a fresh van.

Comment

Disinfectant

I am mobile. I keep it simple but clean. I use Odoban in my tub and drains, Lysol on the walls of the tub and good ole Windex on the rest of the walls of the van. I spend a lot to keep my 2 vans spotless and clean smelling. I too require proof of current shots. Most clients that will hire a mobile groomer can afford to take proper care of their pets. I have had many doctors who, upon opening the door of my vans; said they could operate in there. You don't have to spend a lot to keep your unit...or any area clean. Odoban is a bit expensive but it goes a long way if diluted properly. Of course floors are cleaned with Odoban and the AC unit filters are rinsed daily and sprayed with Lysol. One of my vans is 4 years "young". It looks and smells new.

Poochlady

Comment

"256" diluted in a spray bottle. I even spray my equipment with it.
                  A Light exists in Spring, Not present on the Year, At any other period -- When March is scarcely here...~~ Emily Dickensen~~

Comment

Originally posted by Admin View Post
                    You reminded of something with this. The www.petairapy.com device is also used in mobiles and can disinfect tools, interior walls anything exposed to the light, even after each grooming. I have talked with a mobile groomer who may be installing one, which of course doesn't replace cleaning, but does potentially create a more disinfected environment easily throughout the day, including tools, even blades if you lay them out etc. Interesting potential.
                    PetAirapy surface/air units disinfect mobile units or small work areas within minutes killing enveloped and non enveloped viruses, bacteria and fungi including Parvo, Kennel cough, H1N1, Canine influenza and pretty much any other zoonotic disease. These units have been developed to kill off pathogens such as MRSA, tuberculoses AIDS etc. within the medical community for many years now.

To understand why it works, I have this information on UV below:
                    UVA is the dominant tanning ray. Applications include tanning beds and treatment of skin diseases plus insect lights. UVB has very strong penetrating power and can cause skin aging and skin cancer. UVC is germicidal and destroys DNA. That is how UVC is used to destroy bacteria, mold, viruses and other living biological contaminants in the air, in liquids, or on surfaces.

So, once an area is wiped down then plants including any living being (pets, humans etc) needs to exit the mobile unit and then from the cab or timer they can turn on the light. Within approximately 20 minutes any area the light reaches tools, tables, tubs etc will be sanitized. This means less manual labor, use of harmful expensive chemicals or breakouts between clients.

Comment

For my bathing unit I use bromine a form of chlorine designed for hot tubs. It is much more milder and kills everything plus it smells clean. For my walls and area I use Windex Antibacterial since it cuts grease, I am always wiping something down because I am a CLEAN FREAK in my mobile. I use cleansing alcohol on everything in between each home not each dog. Every Monday I deep clean my entire van and remove my tanks (okay, I don't but I pay someone to do it so that counts) and he sprays inside my tanks with a pressure washer to make sure no film is left on the inside walls of the tanks and then spray everywhere with Tri-Factant.

every December we do a MAJOR clean on all of the vans. They all come to my house, my hubby and sons are there and we do everything (replace all of the motor brushes, replace all hoses and tubes, scrub the front cab upholstery, replace all filters for the AC, vac, dryers, etc). All of us help with the vans on this day and my boys do all of the technical stuff, I am fortunate to have an Engineer for a hubby, a son who went to mechanic school and a son who is starting Diesel mechanic school in September, plus one of my groomers hubby is an electrician... no if I could only hire a Groomer whose hubby is an AC guy we would be set.

Comment

Working...
                      X