Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone use a ramp on their mobile van?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone use a ramp on their mobile van?

I was wondering if there is a small enough but strong enough ramp to handle big heavy dogs in a van? When it folds up, it wouldn't take up a load of space inside but yet strong enough to handle dogs in 100lb range?

I don't groom very many large dogs but the ones I do are scared of the big step up inside the van as most of these bigger dogs I groom are elderly. Usually me and the owner spend a few minuets hoisting the dog up. I was wondering if investing in a decent ramp might help me, my back, the dog, the owner and their back.

Ramps help. I have a wagntails that came with a ramp about 3-4 ft long that has non slip treads on it. I don't use it much, usually easier to hoist them up into the van, but it does help sometimes. Also, I find that dogs are much more likely to feel comfortable with a ramp if a towel is covering it.... it helps with their footing.
    A Light exists in Spring, Not present on the Year, At any other period -- When March is scarcely here...~~ Emily Dickensen~~

Comment

I have a Sprinter van and use a ramp to get the big boys/girls with bad hips or arthritis, etc. in the van. Works great!!!

Comment

I have 2 wagntails, the walk board system isn't a good option unless your dogs are agility dogs. What I have found that works better is a stairs that unfolds. I get it at petedge the one that doesn't hook onto the tub but is free standing. It fits right beside the table and wall. All my large dogs just walk right up it. I am uncertain why wagntails hasn't come up with a system like this or at the least put a door in the tub.

Comment

Unfolding stairs? I dont think that helps alot if the dogs don't go up the steps into the van, why should they go up the unfolding stairs? Its the same thing. I have alot of big dogs and 70 % of them don't go up into the trailer or van by themselve nor they step up on the 15 inches lowered table.
          I was always asking myself too if there are ramps they would help before I invest in a tommy lift. But the lifts take so much space inside. My Sprinter is not very wide and that lift takes alot of it. But a ramp has to be stored too.

Comment

i use a ramp too.
            Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
            "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

Originally posted by Loni View Post
              I have alot of big dogs and 70 % of them don't go up into the trailer or van by themselve nor they step up on the 15 inches lowered table.
              A little O/T, but I will often have the owner walk the dog to my van if the dog seems at all timid. That often gives the dog the confidence to enter the van by themselves. I've only had one dog that would not/could not get in the van (mainly because the owner was freaking...no confidence there!). Usually they will go in with some encouragement and if they stop half way, I will "boost" they hind end in. But I know someone with back problems might not be able to do that. If the dog won't step on the table I'll put the front paws on the table and again boost the back end up there.
              A Light exists in Spring, Not present on the Year, At any other period -- When March is scarcely here...~~ Emily Dickensen~~

Comment

I have a portable ramp and only two dogs that will use it. And only because they live together and have a ramp at home. I used to work where they had tubs with ramps and none of the dogs wanted to go up them. then at my last job my boss built stairs up to the tubs and most dogs ran right up. Especially if you walked up the stairs with them. Stairs are familliar to most dogs where usually a ramp is not. can't wait for my doggy elevator!
                What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

I don't have any dogs who don't get into the van unless they are so old then we require the owner to help. We groom our dogs so frequently that they understand about getting into the van. And yes, we also do big dogs. Is it the stairs or just the fact that they don't want a bath or are insecure about getting into the van. Positive training helps.

Comment

I purchased steps for my trailer and it actually works really well.....I was hesitant at first because of course I really didn't think the dogs would go up these steps. WEll, I unfold the steps and put the steps towards the back of tub where against the wall and i am standing on the other side of the dog so they really dont have anywhere else to go except up the steps.

I have done an old akita and St Bernard and didn't have any problems BUT you will get those ones that absolutely refuse to budge, thats when my hands goes up behind them and try to encourage them to go up the steps.....The fold up and pretty much out of the way, but when I am done I do put the steps in the back of my truck, until I need it again.

Comment

Working...
                    X