Fired Because A Client Lied

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fired Because A Client Lied

I got a call about 15 minutes ago from the owner of the shop I've been working at. I just started there 3 weeks ago. The owner was on vacation all week and got back today. When she got back, another groomer informed her that I "messed up with booking clients". A lady called and asked for a bath for her OESD named Trinity. I specifically remember that call b/c my dod's name is also Trinity. Anyway....the lady scheduled a bath b/c she claimed her dog didn't need a haircut this time, but wiull next time. Well, when she came in she changed her tune. She told the other groomer that she asked for a haircut, not a bath. So...long story short...the owner thought I was an incompetent person and said I wasn't needed anymore if I can't handle it while she is away. I'm kind of ticked off b/c that client lied. I know how to ask questions over the phone to find out what clients really want and she specifically said "No haircut this time, just a bath".
    Oh, to top it all off I'm 8 months pregnant....and trying to get my mobile van converted. Good luck to me.
    Grrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

I'm sorry, but customers pull that stuff all the time, and in my opinion that is not a reason to fire someone. Sounds like you were fired because you are pregnant and leaving soon anyways. That is a big no no, and you could pursue legal options if you wanted to. JMO

Comment

I think you need to look into talking to the attorney.
      Unless there is more to the story then you tell here I don't see how miscomunication with a client on the phone regarding something that could be easyly resolved at check in could be a valid reason to fire you.
      First thought that comes to my mind that she might want to get reed of you because of the pregnancy, but because it is illegal to fire pregnant women, she found an excuse to fire you.
      At the same time being pregnant you probably do not want to be around looney people like that.

Comment

That sucks really bad. Was there another thing they could have been unhappy about and then just used this as a "good" reason? Don't know what to tell you other than I'm sorry. I think you probably don't want to work for people like that anyways (how would they handle a REAL problem!?).

I had a client do something similar, but it didn't turn out as bad as yours did. Youngish adult granddaughter brings in grandma's havanese puppy. He's been in once before for basic bath/brush. Says "yes, he needs a hair cut, no don't brush his teeth" and I describe what I think would be best. Cut was very conservative- the pup probably never had a haircut, and he got an E comb body and tidied up legs. EVERYONE in shop fawned over how cute he turned out. Grandma and granddaughter come to pick up the dog, and grandma doesn't seem so happy. She says "did you brush his teeth?" I said "no, at check-in she said not to, but I can take him back and do it now real quick" (wasn't even gonna charge them for it!) and grandma says no. They pay and leave. After the weekend manager is like "i need to talk to you about something." I knew exactly what it was. Grandma was ticked about groom (didn't want haircut, but must not have given granddaughter clear instructions), and she b****ed out her granddaughter, who called to complain about ME!!! I didn't follow her directions and didn't offer toothbrushing at check-in!!! I was furious that the boss offered them a free bath/brush from me. Boss totally understood, and a note was made to not let dog back for haircut unless OWNER was there for check-in. Luckily, they never came back anyways.

It made me sooooo mad that I tried to be accomodating by offering free toothbrushing at checkout and granddaughter lied to save face with grandma by making it my fault!!! LAME!

Anyways, I hope your situation gets better!

Comment

OK that sounds like a super dumb reason to get fired. Regardless she got the client whats the difference whether is got a bath or a groom????? I would go in there and have a talk with her and ask if the reason she let you go is that or is there another reason. Sorry this happened to you at such a time! I would get my mobile up and never look back after I set her butt straight.

Comment

I'd give a call to the

local Labor board. I doubt that she can just fire you , but in some states the employer doesn't have to have "cause to fire". ANd she has given you a cause. Althought you are pg, and converting your own mobile, and you just started there 3 weeks ago...sounds like she just needed you while she was gone, then it's good by to you. sounds a bit strange, that she'd hire you in the first place, if you ask me. That's not saying you are not a good groomer, but under the circumstances, ( very Pg and converting a mobile?) I wouldn't hire you. Sorry.

Comment

She mentioned two days before she went on vacation that she didn't realize that i was pregnant, and that she was wanting to know what my plans are after baby is born. I told her that I would take four weeks off, then come back to work. She said that sounded very reasonable, and that the other groomer (4 months along) is going to take six weeks off. And the other groomer brings her 7 month old son in one day every week. He is an excellent baby by the way. I am just thrown for a loop! She seemed to be running a very female friendly company, and despite my opening my own mobile shop post-baby, I was going to continue working for her for a year or so until I became established...which she was also aware of. I think I was ding a very good job. I learn quickly, am kind, and have an excellent re pore with clients. I'm just confused as to why this happened. P.S. My husband is a Law Student...which the owner was also aware of. In my state no notice or contract of employments are required.

Comment

I agree that you probably got fired because of the pregnancy. Is there tension with the other groomer? I have clients change their mind ALL the time. I've never made a big deal about it, I can't even imagine making it an issue.
                "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

Are ou sure the client lied? Are you sure it wasn't your coworker?
                  "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                  People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

So you have been there three weeks and never told her that you were pregnant and would be needing to take off 4 weeks when you were hired???? I would probably be a little ticked if I hired someone that was that far along and in a few short months would need a whole month off. I am confused.....LOL
                    What does a dog do on it's day off?

Comment

well sounds to me like you should now collect unemployment which will last you longer than disability pay for maternity leave. Since she thinks she is so professional I am sure she paid taxes for you, right? And if she says you were an I.C. then you should not have been running the shop anyway as you would have the right to work what hours you want. If you could work whatever hours you want then who was running the shop while she was gone and were you told what hours to work? If you were an employee then you have rights and also the right to collect unemployment.

Comment

Because you're state allows employers to fire you without cause, there's no sense in talking to an attorney or the labor board. Add to that the fact you'd only been working there 3 weeks, which means you were probably on probation for 30 days, it doesn't really matter if your state requires cause or not. Employees on probation can usually be let go without cause.

As for unemployment; you have to have worked longer than 3 weeks to collect unemployment. Every state probably has different requirements, but I don't think any of them would allow you to collect after only working 3 weeks. However, if you've been employed elsewhere during the last year, you might qualify. It's certainly worth looking into.

Comment

I kinda get that they might have used this as an excuse to get rid of her, but why would they have hired her in the first place? It isn't like you can miss a 7 month pregnant woman (7 months at time of hire), so why would they hire her then 3 weeks later get rid of her? I agree something smells odd here, but it might not be the pregnancy issue. Could be she just didn't fit in w/ the personality in the salon, could be they didn't like her style of grooming. We have customers lie all the time. We have separate appointments for bath only or haircut, so haircut maybe booked out several days, while bathers might have app's that day. People have been know to lie just so they can get an app that day, then change their tune once they get in the door. They expect that we will have to groom their dog because we screwed up, when really they lied and usually don't get their way. Anyway, I agree that is sucks, but at least you found out now, when you didn't have much time left anyway.
                          I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
                          -Michelangelo

Comment

When

a boss does not consider the importance of the words spoken by the employee, at least to weigh out what could be true, then that will not be somebody you could feel safe working for. It could have been a guise due to the pregnancy but it spells out not standing behind you at all. I hope you can take time off now and do really well with your own venture in the future. There is nothing like being your own boss.
                            Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Originally posted by gr8danlvr1 View Post
                              I kinda get that they might have used this as an excuse to get rid of her, but why would they have hired her in the first place?
                              beacause the owner was taking a vacatin and needed someone to cover. Seen it happen..
                              <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X