Getting Dogs Really Dry in Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Dogs Really Dry in Mobile

Hi Everyone...First I would like to say thanks for all the great info. After being a salon groomer for many years, and taking the last few off to have kids, I have taken the plunge and bought a "new to me" Elite and I am starting my mobile business from scratch ( after one weekend of marketing, I have 8 dogs next week, and 4 the week after!)
    So, my question. I am used to bathing dogs, blowing with the HV, finishing curly coats with a stand dryer to straighten, but drying most others in cage dryer. So, now, I am faced with no more cage drying (which I am happy about!) but I am trying to figure out the best way to get everyone completely dry in a short period of time.
    The equipment I have, is the K9II (love the power!), a Kool Dry, and a hand held dryer, with a third arm.
    For short coated bath, undercoat removals, how do all of you get them really dry (do you ever send them back in the house with damp legs or feet, I just can't imagine doing that) Do you dry only in the tub, or HV in tub then finish HV on the table?
    For coated breeds, can I expect to get them fully dry with the HV with concentrator, then no concentrator and brush when motor heats up, or should I plan to move them to the table to finish with the cool dry or hand dryer and 3rd arm.
    Just need some tips, using the equipment I have (figure I should be able to get it done with those 3 tools) really excited to get started next week, but a little nervous about not having the cushion of cage dryer and extra time.
    Thanks!

Any or all of the above. Since I haven't used cage dryers other than at the corporate in a looong time, I am used to not having them.
    In my mobile I use the Kool Dry nozzle on; then finish the head/ears, etc with nozzle off.
    It warms right up and dries them quickly. Use plenty of towels, the cham wow type work really well to absorb the moisture.

Comment

I have a home built mobile van. I only use the kool dry. I hardly ever take a dog back in damp but I do have a couple that won't let around their face & ears dry. For legs I use a towel in my hand & as I am blowing I hold the towel behind the leg to catch any moisture plus if the air is bouncing off the towel it helps dry all sides. I do get the dryer as close as I can to the skin. I usually blast the water off with the cone & once almost dry I go to the square nozzle. Make sure you are venting the moisture out of the rig, that will help. I also use the large happy hoodies on almost all the dogs for the first 5 mins, it helps to dry the head so less fighting to get the head dry.

I do use several towels, one for them to stand on & one on the back wall as the water is blasting off. If I finish drying on the table I make sure to have a dry towel there too. It might take you a month or 2 to get into a pattern of how things work for you. Also once you get repeat clients that when I find my speed gets better because I know the dog then & can work fast knowing what the dog acts like for things.

Shannon
      The Soapy Puppy

Comment

I towel dry them really well then put them on the table with towels underneath them. The towels help a lot. Sometimes there might be a few damp spots but I usually get them dry. I use my Kool Dry for all but head then I have a hand held warm dryer that I use for heads and ears and any straightening or fluffing I need to do. You'll get use to it really fast and I think it's so much nicer than cage drying. Oh yeah when I get a really thick coat I use my Kool dryer while a run my hand held dryer placed in m y third arm on them. Running the A/C also helps a lot. Helps keep the humidity down in the rig. Even when It's cold I will run the A/C while drying just to keep the moisture down. Won't take you long to figure out what works best for you. Happy mobiling!!
        ~*~Robin~*~
        "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Comment

Sham wow....

I have a few. Do I need to dampen the towel for best results? I have a hard time believing the dampness is necessary. In the summer in the the heat they dry fast and many are taken short anyway. I saw car towels at Costco yesterday; those micro fiber special material ones. I almost bought them but wonder if they have some product in them that would get on the dogs? They clean windshields and such, so I wondered.

Comment

Get truck/rv Absorbers. They are about the same size as regular ones but absorb twice as much water.
            I work at the shop and we have HV, stand dryer and fans. I only use stand dryer for my cocker adn couple other dogs. I use fans only to finish dry faces and ears on dogs who hate HV and stand dryer around them. Everyone else is dryed by HV from start to finish even large coated breeds that get de sheded.

Comment

YAY for you going mobile! What kind of marketing did you do to get such great results so fast!!!
              My routine is to bath, dry with cham wow, put on table with a towel under them and HV until damp, then get my hand held and fluff dry or whatever usually just touching up the bodys damp spots and finishing tail, ears and face. NEVER take a damp/soggy puppy back if you can avoid it. That is the biggest complaint my customers have about other mobiles in my area. I have heard them say it's unprofessional, sloppy, the dogs damp feet picked up dirt and it got on the ladys carpet , what about ear infections if there ears are wet. If you can't get the face w the HV try your hand held and brush the face and ears. I have four clients who used other mobiles and complained that the dogs ears were damp and the groomer gave up on drying them. Very important to get them dry I worked at a salon and we never cage dryed and always did hour long apts so I have never had the luck of a cage dry situation. Good Luck once you do it for a week or so you will pick up your way of doing things

Comment

I only use my Kool dry crate dryer when doing a multi dog household and then it really does help. Prep and bathe 1, stick him in the crate. Start dog 2, after bath switch dog 1 with dog 2 and dog 1 is usually 2/3 dry already! The only time you cant do that is with the curly coats unless you are shaving them really short-then you can blow dry the head & tail and stick them in the crate to body dry since you are clipping all the curl off anyways.
                No, I NEVER send them back in with anything damp, always bone dry because if they crawl up on the couch and their feet and legs are damp, it will make damp spots on the couch. I even wrap a big towel around them if it is raining when I carry them back inside so they are dry when they get inside.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenneversage64 View Post
                  I have a few. Do I need to dampen the towel for best results? I have a hard time believing the dampness is necessary. In the summer in the the heat they dry fast and many are taken short anyway. I saw car towels at Costco yesterday; those micro fiber special material ones. I almost bought them but wonder if they have some product in them that would get on the dogs? They clean windshields and such, so I wondered.
                  I use sham wows & others like them, I don't wet it first I just start using it on the dog, they suck more water out after you've rung them out. I usually use one of these and then follow up with a fluffy towel & happy hoodie.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenneversage64 View Post
                    These are my main towels. I use 2 or 3 per dog depending on the dog for drying. You do have to watch out for smell though, they do get smelly like smelly ears is what it reminds me of. They are cheap enough at Sam's Club that I throw out a few if they smell real bad or give to hubby for his car They don't all get smelly as I have a few of the very first ones I started with. I found they don't have any product on them.

At Walmart in the car wash section they have a really big towel, like the above towels, that is about the size of a small bath towel, I love it for the dog standing on or hooking it to the wall on the tub wall or wraping up the small dogs in. I did a chinese crested hairless except for the head, neck & legs Any way it was cool in my rig that evening so I wrapped the dog in one of those & kept the towel close to the dog as I dried it, was dry in almost seconds, 5min max. I mostly use these for the wall & reg small bath towels for the dog to stand on. The really big microfiber towels are a little more spendy about $6 something.

Shannon
                    The Soapy Puppy

Comment

You have to have patience when hand drying every dog, but that's part of your service as a mobile, plus the results are great. Like the others, I towel really well, especially the legs and feet. Blast off the moisture with K9II in the tub. Move the dog to the table on a towel and finish drying there. I do sometimes leave the ears damp if the dog is sensitive, but I also employ a mini fan that I bought at WMart that blows on the head and face. Oh, one last thing... I used to use Quick Dry which helped, but I switched to B3 shampoo and absolutely luv luv luv it. It helps dry even faster than the Quick Dry imo.
                      A Light exists in Spring, Not present on the Year, At any other period -- When March is scarcely here...~~ Emily Dickensen~~

Comment

Originally posted by Starshan View Post
                        The really big microfiber towels are a little more spendy about $6 something.
                        Yeah, but, if it saves ou 15 minutes off the groom I'll gladly pay it.
                        "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                        People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Originally posted by Smart-n-Pretty View Post
                          Yeah, but, if it saves ou 15 minutes off the groom I'll gladly pay it.
                          I agree Smart. Saving 15 minutes off a groom time in the van makes it worth it.
                          www.gomobileandsucceed.com
                          http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

Thanks for all the great tips...I am ordering some Happy hoodies today! Also have been using towels, but will look at getting the shamwows or similar. I think my biggest concern was getting the legs/feet and ears really dry, but it sounds like it will go better the more I practice.
                            As for my marketing for fast results, I started out spending 3 days at our local home show, that went really well, then placed an ad on Kijiji. (I am in Canada). I also spent 2 hours yesterday in a subdivision delivering flyers and dog treats, advertising an open house with the truck this Saturday morning for 2 hours. I still have to hit all the vet clinics etc, and if the open house in the subdivision goes well this weekend, I have 5 or 6 others to target in the coming weeks. Luckily I have worked in sales for the last 4 years, so I am pretty good at marketing myself. Just need 10 dogs a week so I can quit my other job, and focus totally on mobile!

Comment

I have a high velocity fan and point that at the dogs while I HV. I can aim it at feet or faces and it really helps to dry those areas. I also have two eye hooks on the wall behind my table (I do all drying on my table) and clip towels to that so the water is blwon into the towel and not onto the wall where they can rub back onto it. Also a towel under their feet. Ihave a Conair hand held yellow dog dryer and that has a stand so I can use it hands free if needed as well.
                              99.9% of the dogs I do go in bone dry. I do have one or two that may have damp ears or face and usually it's my senoir pets who just try to thrash, even with my hand held and it's just not worth it to stress them. Course, if it's pouring rain outside, I don't usually bother getting their pads bone dry.
                              What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Working...
                              X