Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maybe starting a mobile dog grooming business? Advice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe starting a mobile dog grooming business? Advice!

Hello. My mother is a mobile dog groomer in New Jersey. I am graduating college with a business degree in two weeks. I can't seem to find a job, especially with this economy, so my mom knowing that I love animals said to start a mobile dog grooming business like her. Her business was a huge success. She works 6 days a week and within 2 years of starting her business she is completely booked and not accepting new clients. She told me if she had it to do over again, she would only do bath dogs. I was wondering if anyone has started a mobile dog grooming business that only serviced bath dogs?

A groomer friend here in our state has done that. She will do a haircut now & then but its mostly bath dogs & she does the really big ones too. She use to show the really big dogs so she loves them. Just tidy feet & once in a while sanatary trims. I enjoy being a little creative with haircuts, fluffy roundness etc.

Shannon
    The Soapy Puppy

Comment

We in New Jersey

what part of NJ does she cover?
      Originally posted by juleann401 View Post
      Hello. My mother is a mobile dog groomer in New Jersey. I am graduating college with a business degree in two weeks. I can't seem to find a job, especially with this economy, so my mom knowing that I love animals said to start a mobile dog grooming business like her. Her business was a huge success. She works 6 days a week and within 2 years of starting her business she is completely booked and not accepting new clients. She told me if she had it to do over again, she would only do bath dogs. I was wondering if anyone has started a mobile dog grooming business that only serviced bath dogs?

Comment

I have seen it done but it takes more time to build than a groomer most people wont pay the higher price for a bath when they can do it themselves or go to the local groomer for five or ten bucks cheaper. Maybe you can do all your moms bath calls in one unit so she can do all the grooming?? On the flip side there are so many people grooming for the sake of having a job because of the economy and after a month or two they hate it. Make sure it's something you really have an interest in. Loving an animal and making it a career is two different things. As I am sure your mom knows all to well it's hard work and some days the dogs test you all day. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Comment

I think it depends on area. I've been mobile over 2 years now and can count on one hand the number of bath dogs I have. Could never have survived that way.
          What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Around here there was a mobile groomer who did that, she later sold the van and moved out of state to work iin a resturant.

Anyway, she did fine but would have done much better had she done two things: Keep in touch with the other mobile groomers (ie: taking their overflow or out of range clients or big dogs) because she never contacted me or the others, no one ever thought of her as a referal..to be honest, I forgot she was still around. She was here for a year before she decided to move away. Had I remembered her I could have referred many a wash only dogs to her instead of a shop or put them in a much later date in my book.

The second was cats. Cat owners are desperate for groomers. To do anything, even just cut nails. She didn't like cats from what I recall.

So I heard she left town one day and it was becasue she didn't make as much money as she thought she could have. Had she only kept in contact with me or any of the other mobilers here she would have been fine.

Comment

Working...
            X