How Should I reply to this one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Should I reply to this one?

I've been mobile for seven months..and for the most part it's great! Much better than a salon for me....
    Do any of you ever get a call where the person asks your price then, after you give it to them they say "it only cost &*.00 at the salon where I usually take them"?? And if you do get similar calls like this..what do you think the best response to this would be? I usually tell them..I'm not your salon or does your salon come to your front door? hehehe I know I probably sound sarcastic..and I really don't want to come across that way...Your wisdom would be much appreciated on this one..Thx..

I hate calls like that, but after a while it saves you some time!

Basically, when you get a call like that, it isn't likely from someone who is going to become one of your customers. They are price shopping and that's that.

However, sometimes I used to approach the call like this when I wanted to take on a new customer:

"Mobile grooming is nothing like the grooming shop where you have taken Fluffy. Fluffy will not have to wait in a cage, and won't be away from you for more than about an hour. One groomer, myself, performs the entire grooming process start to finish assuring that Fluffy is never left alone and is returned to her house and family quickly and with as little stress as possible. This is why mobile grooming is priced differently - we work with one pet at a time, and therefore groom far fewer pets each day. Plus, we save you the time and effort of taking Fluffy to and from the grooming salon."

Occasionally, someone on the phone will be like "OH, I didn't understand what was different," or, "OK, that makes sense now." But most of the time they will still balk at your price and continue to call around until the cheapest quote is found.

Really, in general if the first question they ask is "how much?" you may be better off saving your breath...depends how busy you are. But don't be fooled into quoting too low!!!

Comment

Once in a while I get calls like that. I tell them that I have a high end pet spa and I do not groom out of a shed or a basement like the others. I give a good quality grooming to their pet and if so and so wants to charge less, that's fine, this is my pricing. After I tell them that I ask them if they are hooked up to the internet or have access. I give them my website and usually they call back.

We can't make everyone happy all the time. Don't let their attitude bother you.

Comment

hi, i tell them that mobile is not for everyone,that it's mostly for people that are very busy and don't like wasting time because time is money.

Comment

I loved getting these kind of calls because we had scripts, and with ours, no matter who they called no one would have responded as professionally as us, as impressive as us. In fact, they would have reason to doubt others but we never even slightly criticized others. We did not judge the public, the consumer, we simply delivered a professional quote because it was their right to judge us, they are after all the one spending the money. We didn't judge the public and that is how my mom grew one of the all time biggest businesses that was fun to work in, and we loved the public, and we took the steam out of any disruptor, and never fired one client out of over 12,000 over 26 years. SHINE! Just shine in your response and forget judging their motives, who cares, shine. You never really know who is shopping for the cheapest because even those people can surprise us, and if they are, so what. It was all about spreading the reputation that by golly, that place must be something even if I don't patronize them.
          Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the Board Help Talk Forum. Thanks for coming to our community a part of PetGroomer.com https://www.petgroomer.com.

Comment

Mobile Grooming Convenience

Check it out, tell them that there is a mobile grooming convenience fee, which allows you to bring the salon to them. Tell them about kennel anxiety, assembly line grooming, and all the negatives involved with salons. Then pump your self up like Arnold let them know you are the shiznittle..... keep your prices high. I'm getting allot of people around SD saying the same thing, I remind them that mobile grooming is a specialty service if they were happy with the place they were going they wouldn’t be calling me! Us mobile groomers have to stick together!

Comment

When people call and ask me how much I always ask "Are you familiar with Mobile Grooming?". Almost everytime they say no. So, I launch into my spiel (as in what Marcy said, ect). Usually, they are interested enough to listen.

Even if they don't book, they understand why it is more expensive. As it should be. Sometimes they say "No, thank you" and sometimes they say "Maybe I'll try it".

I don't like those calls either but we have to remember these callers are potential customers. I try to connect with them and emphasise that I love my job. That's really what's most important to many of these pet owners.

I've learned from this Board to be a better communicater and it's helped me tremendously. Before I got into grooming I was clueless as to what mobile grooming was. So we, as mobile groomers, have to help educate the public about our business.
              www.gomobileandsucceed.com
              http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

I get those calls too and most still book

My first response to the price question is........... my spa price includes an aromatherapy bath with the highest quality shampoos, conditioner, teeth brushed, anal glands expressed, ears cleaned, nails trimmed and filed smooth to protect their people from deep scratches, fluff dry, hairstyle, bows or bandana, cologne, the housecall and all completed usually in an hour. The service for your size pet would be $XX/hour and my first available appointment is ____________(ALWAYS at least a week preferable 1.5 week away) Course most months I really am booked out 3-4 weeks out but even when I first started out and had plenty of free time, my first available for new clients was a minimum of a week away.

Comment

I too, like Carol, always ask if they've ever had a mobile salon before. That is the basis for me setting myself and my service apart from the rest of the crowd by telling them all about the service that I provide and why I am worth the price I charge. If I still get a request to lower my price I am sympathetic when telling the caller why I understand that mobile isn't for everyone because it is an exclusive service and my price point is higher than the shops they've been going to because of the specialized service I offer. I also have the names and phone numbers of several reputable shops to give out when needed. (Now if they'd just refer to ME...ROFL!!!)

Comment

Last month I had a lady ask me our price and I told her. She then said "That much! well I only paid $xx at my last groomer. I must have been having a hard day because I said, "well, then I suggest you take your dog back there." and hung up after the intense silence of me not budging on our price. I think people try to 'scare you' by threatening not to use your service with that long silence of price too high or appointment not soon enough. It' not a yard sale where prices are negotiable. They wouldn't dare go to a restaurant, Wal-mart or hair salon and try to haggle prices, it's unbelievable.

Comment

Originally posted by socalkevin View Post
                      I've been mobile for seven months..and for the most part it's great! Much better than a salon for me....
                      Do any of you ever get a call where the person asks your price then, after you give it to them they say "it only cost &*.00 at the salon where I usually take them"?? And if you do get similar calls like this..what do you think the best response to this would be? I usually tell them..I'm not your salon or does your salon come to your front door? hehehe I know I probably sound sarcastic..and I really don't want to come across that way...Your wisdom would be much appreciated on this one..Thx..

When this happens I ask why are you switching groomers? Have you spoken to your groomer and explained any problems.
                      If shop down the down is charging XX verses XXX is there something I can offer that they don't? Like the Big Pet Palace place is your pet being handled by a groomer or by a trainie with supervision in the building?

Comment

I think it's a big mistake to ever mention the "negatives" of other groomers, be they mobile or a shop. It's unprofessional. Focus on what you offer.

You don't need to say anything about the person who's grooming out of their basement or garage. You don't need to use terms like "assembly line grooming". It's too close to bashing. It's too gossipy.

You offer a special service. Focus on that. Describe what you offer in detail. Explain why your service is special. It's a premium service, and commands a premium price. And it's not for everyone.

Comment

I want to know the exact script Stephen used!

Is it in the book? If it worked for them, I know it could work for me! So what are those magic words? I agree, be positive and act like no other shop/mobile even exsists, you are it! Like I thought up mobile grooming, and tell all the positives it offers. Like, who wouldn't want that?! So convenient and price reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by mustluvdogs1 View Post
                            Is it in the book? If it worked for them, I know it could work for me! So what are those magic words? I agree, be positive and act like no other shop/mobile even exsists, you are it! Like I thought up mobile grooming, and tell all the positives it offers. Like, who wouldn't want that?! So convenient and price reasonable.
                            that's what i want to know.......Stephen, you teased us all telling us how your mom built this amazing business with this particular script you used........well, are you going to share? is it in "the box" ? are you going to let the cat out of the bag? the script out of the box? hehehe

Comment

Most of the time I tell them "Wow that's a great prices, What prompted you to call me?" Then you can hear the real reason they are looking. Sometimes it's just the novelty of your service and they are curious. Sometimes it is prompted by a bad situation or experience.
                              I never down mouth a competitor. There is enough business to go around.

Comment

Working...
                              X