What vaccinations do you require?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What vaccinations do you require?

Just wondering I know at least rabies but do you require kennel cough, parvo and all the kitty vaccinations doing mobile?

Even if you clean real well there is still the chanceof some animals spreading infections in such a tight environment.

I do require those but am a little slack after the first visit. I make sure puppies have had their 2nd shots before I see them. My cocker breeder friend had parvo go crazy on her place after they visited a dog show just to watch (didn't take any dogs). She lost 1 whole litter & half of another even though they had had their first shots.

Kennel Cough is hard because it is airborne. It also requires every 6mos vet visits. That is hard for me to inforce. So far so good (knock on wood).

Rabies isn't bad here but its better safe then sorry.

I will except the tests from the vet on if the dog has enough emunity to the drugs that they don't need the shots anymore, I think its spelled "titer". I can't remember this morning.

Shannon
    The Soapy Puppy

Comment

I would require what is legally required for you to require. I believe all states require a current rabies vaccination, but the definitiion of "current" will vary from community to community. Some cities require just about every vaccine produced, and others make no requirements other than rabies.

Other than that, I require dogs be healthy. Mobile groomers have a huge advantage in that you go to the client and their dog isn't exposed to other dogs, just as their dog doesn't expose others. The level of exposure is very different than in a shop with multiple animals there at the same time. Mobile groomers also have the advantage in that the majority of the clients are not just looking for the cheapest method possible, and with that, they tend to take a little more responsibility with their pets. Of course there are exceptions, but the mobile groomer can quickly discover that and move on to better quality clients.

There is a huge difference between the client that studies, researches, and makes a decision not to vaccinate vs the client that simply doesn't keep up the care of their dog. I like to work with clients that make a decision to not vaccinate vs the clients that are neglectful. You can pick up a pretty incredible clientelle if you become known for less restrictive practices. Again though, there is a big difference between those clients taking an educated, conscience approach to less vaccinations vs those that are simply being cheap and neglecting care.

Remember that unvaccinated dogs don't make other dogs sick. Sick dogs make other dogs sick.

Comment

I only require what the law requires..

I am a strong supporter of educate before you vaccinate..

Comment

I require rabies only and in our state rabies is required every three years. I do not vaccinate my own dog against kennel cough, lepto, or corona and only vaccinate for rabies, distemper, and parvo once every three years. Why would I require owners to get those vaccines I don't believe in I base my choices of vaccines on the LATEST AVMA recommendations. I won't require owners to over-vaccinate their pets. In eight years I have had one owner call me and said her dog picked up kennel cough in my shop, however NO other dogs came down with coughing, not even her other two pets. I believe the vet wrongly jumped to the KC diagnosis.
          Lisa VanVleet, RVT

Comment

Originally posted by SwissNChow View Post

Remember that unvaccinated dogs don't make other dogs sick. Sick dogs make other dogs sick.
            BRILLIANT quote! I require the owner to be comfortable with his/herpets level of protection in conjunction with their vet, but do under state law, require rabies.
            <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Agree with many of the posters

Heck, I worked with rescue - you think we knew what vaccines those dogs had?? Most had never had ANY!

Overvaccinating is a real concern nowadays. I know of some owners of tiny pets (5 pounds or less) that will NOT get rabies shots for their dog. They don't want to risk killing it for the even LOWER risk that it will contract rabies. (Of course they don't do the other vaccines, either, but the law doesn't care about that.)

I refer my clients to a holistic vet near me, and let the owners find out the latest. The holistic vet requires rabies since it is required by law, but educates owners about everything else so they can make a decision.

Comment

I'm SO glad we don't have rabies here! Besides not having any risk of it, there's also no need to vaccinate for it either, so no laws about vaccinations at all. So for me, I just make sure puppies have had their shots, and then I don't worry about it. I work right next door to a vet clinc, if a dog is going to get sick it could do by simply walking past the vet clinic to us too!

Comment

Originally posted by SwissNChow View Post
                  I Remember that unvaccinated dogs don't make other dogs sick. Sick dogs make other dogs sick.
                  While this is true, it is also true that unvaccinated dogs GET sick. And people are quick to place blame when their precious PheePhee gets sick a day or two after grooming. Once they afix blame, they are also quick to sue. They might or might not win, because they really have no proof that the dog was exposed in your vehicle or shop. But judges are not as likely to know a whole lot about disease transmission in dogs as the average groomer is.

I used to support the concept of less frequent vaccinations in adult dogs, and only had my own dogs done every 3 years. But working in a vet clinic I have the opportunity to read some of the reports and articles the general public does not have access to.

In a nut shell, there are outbreaks of both distemper and parvo being reported in various areas of the country. And these outbreaks are hitting adult dogs who don't have current vaccinations. So now I'm not so sure, and I'll probably go back to yearly vaccinations.

There's also the problem of lepto, if it's showing up in your area. It's zoonotic. You can get it, too. And the new vaccines aren't causing the problems and reactions we once encountered with lepto vaccinations.

Personally, I tend to lean towards the "reduce liablilty" and CYA side of things.

Comment

Helly, nice report on the other side of the arguement. I choose to leave the medical decisions between the owner of the pet and the veterinarian of their choosing. I fully support each business' right to decide how often they require vaccinations, because it is their personal business. Some require various vaccinations yearly or even eveyr 6 months. I choose to require only what I must according to law. Owners then sign a release form which requires documentation from their vet. The vast majority of people go to their vet and their pet gets loaded up on multiple vaccinations. I don't discourage that, as that is a decision between pet owner and their chosen vet. However, I also don't penalize the pet owner that chooses to take a minimal strategy and has that worked out with their chosen vet, but indeed I make it very clear that by choosing to board/groom, etc, they do have the potential of exposing their animal to various diseases. So, I do indeed deal with all types of vaccination status in the pets I work with and every owner is aware of the potential dangers, regardless of their pets vaccination status. Vaccines simply do not offer 100% protection and I make sure ALL owners know it.

In my experience, the biggest threat to the boarding dog remains as tracheobronchitis and that happens in kennel facilities regardless of whether or not all dogs enter the facility with a bordetella vaccine. And, after 20 years in the boarding business, I can say that it is my experience that most of the dogs that get tracheobronchitis are the very dogs that are vaccinated for bordetella. Just like there are some people that are going to catch everything they are exposed to, there are also pets that are going to get sick at every opportunity. Bottom line is that some dogs are going to get it, and that is simply part of doing business. If I am doing my job right, I can minimize those incidences. Clean facility, minimize stress, good ventilation, and isolate animals at the very first symptoms. I also cover the cost of treatment of that pet, and rarely do I have an owner with an issue about how I have handled the problem.

Comment

Oh, I'm with you on the issue of bordetella. I think the bordetella bacterins are worse than useless, for a couple of reasons. One being that they only offer limited protection against two strains, and there are more than two strains. And the other being that bordetella isn't the only thing that causes tracheobronchitis. There are some viral, as well as bacterial pathogens that cause it, as well as the odd dog who's gets it from an allergic reaction to things like cleaning chemicals.

I'm also with you on the "I'm not the vaccination police" and such decisions rest with the owner and his/her vet. But groomers should also be aware of the potential liabilities when they decide whether to require vaccinations or not. No one should be sitting in their attorney's office saying "I didn't know..."

Comment

Working...
                      X