They thought I would leave without grooming their dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They thought I would leave without grooming their dog

I had a call last week from a couple with a cocker; farm dog; they told me he was very difficult to groom; they had always done him themselves.
    I drove up, he was running around wagging his tail. The man put on welding gloves, and when he touched the dog it started snarlling and snapping.
    They were sure I would get back in my van and leave.
    The man held ithe dog and managed to close it's mouth; I slipped on the muzzle. I use the proguard softie muzzles, so the dog can pant and breathe, but can't bite.
    He held the dog while I groomed it; As I calmly groomed away, the dog slacked off snarling and growling and by the end of the groom was standing there pretty durn well, all things considered. I had quoted 10 more than my usual groom and they tipped me another 10 and were thrilled. It was the first all over smooth haircut the dog had ever had; they would hack at it now and then for a few minutes til it would lose patience.
    They rebooked for 12 weeks, which is fine by me; don't wanna see him too soon. He did very well for the bath and HV, too. Never pooped or peed the first time.
    Deidre

Jeez...you sure have the gravy life Lady, not!!!!!! LOL!
    Every day has been an adventure since you relocated. Ever miss the real cold and the dogs that go with it?
    Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Did you do the face? I'm guessing not. The reason I'm asking is I have a client very similar and I can get the body clipped but I have problems getting much done to the face. This ia a large crazy outside in a kennel cocker. I hate not doing the face but don't have a solution. Just wondering if you attempted the face. Congrats on getting the cocker a nice smooth comfortable trim. Those crazy cockers make me nervous.LOL
      ~*~Robin~*~
      "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Comment

Sounds like a buff I used to do up here. If this dog is anything like the buff up here be careful. He started out groom able, and then spiraled. I left the shop he went to, but from what I understand, when he finally got a chance to bite through the muzzle, he bit hard causing the necessity for several stitches (with the muzzle on).
        Your incredibly brave BTW!!

Comment

I think sometimes pet-parents don't know what they are doing or they are scared. It causes the dog feel the bad energy. He did well cause you are confident and you know what you are doing. I have a dog I have groomed twice now that when the lady took him to a salon/vet he had to be sedated. I went to her house to get to know EDDIE. The next day I groomed him without sedation. A little trouble with ears and face. Last week I groomed him and he was so good for me (except the ears). It wasn't til I put him down on the floor that I remembered HEY he used to be sedated.

Comment

Those softie muzzels

I would just like to mention that those softie muzzles will allow a dog to bite you. I had one on a chow once and he pinned my hand to the table and bit me very hard through it, so be CAREFUL! The company was very unsympathetic and said they don't claim to prevent bites! Whatever!

Comment

Originally posted by SharPeiMom View Post
              Did you do the face? I'm guessing not. The reason I'm asking is I have a client very similar and I can get the body clipped but I have problems getting much done to the face. This ia a large crazy outside in a kennel cocker. I hate not doing the face but don't have a solution. Just wondering if you attempted the face. Congrats on getting the cocker a nice smooth comfortable trim. Those crazy cockers make me nervous.LOL
              We have a rather large sch who boards with us and always gets groomed after his visits. The min I try to get him in the bath he turns into Cujo and has to be muzzled for the bath & groom. A few months ago, I took him outside to the potty area after his groom. I sat down in a chair to wait on him and he runs and puts his feet up in my lap and proceeds to give me kisses. So, I decided to try and do his face outside. I went back and got my scissors and comb and he had no problem with me trimming his face, OUTSIDE!!! So now I do the groom inside, and then take him outside to finish his face. I have no clue why he is ok with me trimming his face outside, but on my table would try and eat my hand. But heck, he is happy, I can finally finish the face and I have all my fingers,,,lol

Comment

I had one brought into a kennel I worked at that wanted me to meet them at the car door. As soon as they took her out and handed me the leash she was snarling,growling and snapping but wanted to get away from me more than anything. They were like that's strange she never did that before. Well looked like she had never been outside of being tied up in the back yard. Matted as all heck, Ears matted to the sides of her head and thousands of fleas running everywhere including her eyes.

I got her inside where she continued to lunge and snap and pee to try and get away but I finally got ahold of her real quick and slipped a muzzle on and popped her in the tub to be lathered in flea shampoo. As she was soaking in the shampoo I could she her demeanor relax and change as soonq as she realized I was killing her parasites she calmed down and gave me the saddest look so off came the muzzle and she did good for the rest of the grooming.

I wet shaved her head and ears and whatever else I could reach right in the tub so that the flea shampoo could work down to her skin. Even after three flea baths she still had fleas hiding in her ears. If it were my shop I would've never touched this dog and made them go to the vet and get some comfortis first. I told them they needed to get the dog to the vet ASAP to have it checked for anemia as well as further flea and tick treatment among other things but doubt they ever did.

A lot of these backyard/farm dogs are just never properly socialized and some of them turn out okay after getting over the fear and some never come around.

Comment

Originally posted by edderland View Post

It was the first all over smooth haircut the dog had ever had; they would hack at it now and then for a few minutes til it would lose patience.
                  Reminds me of the black cocker my folks had before I was born.

Once a summer my old man would take my mother's sewing shears, chop all the hair off the dog, dunk him in the lake to wet him, lather him up with bar soap, toss him in the boat, row out into the middle of the lake, throw him overboard and let him swin to shore.

By the time Tar made it to shore he was groomed and bathed for the year.

Comment

I didn't even try to do his face; his dad held his head with the welding gloves on while I groomed him; he is a cattle farmer, strong and calm. I would not have attempted this dog without his help.

Comment

me tooo

Originally posted by epilady View Post
                      I would just like to mention that those softie muzzles will allow a dog to bite you. I had one on a chow once and he pinned my hand to the table and bit me very hard through it, so be CAREFUL! The company was very unsympathetic and said they don't claim to prevent bites! Whatever!
                      I was bit too (not very har though) with that softie muzzle. So if the one dog is a bit sassy, I use two of them. Like extra reassurance. You are soooo brave. I would have ran away.... <big chicken...lol>

Comment

Working...
                      X