Unusual grooming incidents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual grooming incidents

We have all had dogs that are weird with their feet....you know; they tug, hop around or have tickly feet. I've had several that kinda jerk back with the back feet. But this takes all! I had a 110lb Akita the other day. He was very old and it was clear that he just wanted to be left alone. I brought my son along for "muscle". He is a good sized guy; just out of the Navy. My son was holding up a back foot for me; helping balance this old dog....when It happened. WHAM... He kicked back with all his strength and slugged me right in the mouth!!! It was literally the equivalent of someone hitting you with a fist. I had a mouth full of blood-unbelievable!

Poochlady

I was shaving the pads on a standard poodle years ago when he kicked me five or six feet into a wall; I hit it really hard.

Comment

Ouch!

That's one heck of a hit. I've had my lip busted twice now...both times when carrying the pooch back to the house. They get excited and throw that head back. Pain had taught me to be more careful.

Poochlady

Comment

I was trimming a back pad of a crazy cocker when she kicked me square in the eye and I mean I saw stars. I would have never guessed they had that kind of power. Felt like I had been kicked by a mule. Had a black eye for a few days and I don't stand directly behind her anymore. I hope you are alright. Didn't loosen any teeth did it. One of my own standards knocked out one of my molars and loosened a front tooth by slinging her head back when I picked her up and hit me in the mouth(2 separate times). Yep that hurt pretty good, too.
        ~*~Robin~*~
        "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Comment

I had a golden paw me right iin the eye with his front leg. I had a black eye and a very sore cheek bone. He wasn't even fighting me at all he just likes you to hold his paw. I warn anyone new in our shop to keep their face back lol.

Comment

I got horse kicked in the chest by a 95 pound Am. Staff and in knocked me into the wall and took my breath away.

These big guys are strong.

Comment

I grew up with a pony & then showed some cows in FFA through high school. We always stand on the side of the animal while working on the feet. I naturally do that with dogs too. I have been kicked in my earlier grooming years by a lab & a few big dog mixes into my chest but nothing that has sent me across the room. As soon as a dog starts kicking I get back to the side of the dog if I happen to be behind it but usually I am at the side already.

Just what I learned.

Shannon
              The Soapy Puppy

Comment

I deal with alot of "kickers" been lucky so far thanks for the advice ,I did not even think they could unleash that kind of damage.

Comment

a westie

I have a westie I groom who is sweet and loving for everything else but the bath. I don;t know what gets into her head when i squirt shampoo on her she bites ...she abosolutly hates it and but definatly make contact with my hand if she can. So now i have learned to sponge the shampoo on her now. The confused look on her face is pricless

Comment

I've never been kicked that hard!! How ever I was trimming the nails on a 50-6o lb Blue Nose Pitt when she decided she'd had enough! Did she bite me?? Nah! She climbed up my face to get away!I had a black eye and scratches on my left cheek. It looked like I'd been in a bar fight! and all we could do was laugh cuz it was such an unexpected method of escape.
                    I learned my lesson, now i'm never the one to hold the dogs, I get to do the nails.

Comment

I once had a SS paw me int he face, Her nail went right up my nose and boy did that bleed! MY UPS guy came in and asked me which dog I had killed!LOL! It bled for uite some time and I ended up jamming toilet tissue up there to stop the bleeding!

Comment

Originally posted by Starshan View Post
                        I grew up with a pony & then showed some cows in FFA through high school. We always stand on the side of the animal while working on the feet. I naturally do that with dogs too.
                        Shannon
                        The Soapy Puppy
                        I do the same thing for the same reasons...horses in the family and was just habit to stand off to the side; not to say that I haven't had my share of kicks or headbutting.
                        ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
                        Apparently common sense isn't all that common
                        *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Comment

Ouch, those ninja donkey kicks suck.

I recently started using a new method on large breed dogs to keep them steady and prevent donkey kicks...I stand next to a rear hip on the side, keep my right foot on the ground, place my left foot on the table under the dog's belly with my table-knee bent, and prop up the dogs belly by resting it on top of my thigh...keeps them really secure, supported, standing, still, and keeps my head out of range as I bend slightly over the tail and lift the rear feet. It also removes all that weight bearing down on their rear leg when you lift a foot because they are resting on top of your thigh.

Especially helps with fat Goldens who like to play the stand-up sit-down stand-up sit-down stand-up sit-down game when you try to work on their rear end.
                          Attached Files

Comment

dtails i used to do that...dosnt work on all big dogs though. there are some that will fight to get OFF your leg! ive had that happen and it becomes more of a PITA lol. i too was kicked in the face by a dog...darn that hurt! and i recently had a labradoodle jerk her foot back while i was combing it therefore making me hit myself in the face with the comb! i called her a bratty little ****** lol. but i too have learned to stand to the side! all it takes is a few good kicks and ya learn real fast lol.
                            Hound

Comment

Years ago...I had just finished clipping nails on Skippy the Cocker when he went down on the table in a grand mal seizure.
                              As I bent over to put a big, fluffy, towel under his thrashing head...he got me right across the eyeball w/ one of those freshly cut TN's.

I about fell on the floor in a pain seizure...OMG THAT HURT! I had to be driven right to an eye doc, he numbed the eye, all sorts of flush and oral and topical antibiotics, had to wear a patch for 2 weeks,....and I swear that still ranks as my all time most painful grooming related injury.
                              Way worse than any bite I ever received. Just reliving it now shivers me timbers all over again.....
                              Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Working...
                              X