How long do you wait

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long do you wait

for a client to arrive home------Had an appt. scheduled at 1:00, arrived 10 min. early, knocked on door, and rang doorbell, no answer.
    Went back to the van, and waited 10 more min. then walked up and left note to please reschedule.

After leaving, heading to next appt. receive a call, and she wants me to come back, or she'll bring the dog to me, at the next stop(hello I still have someone else's dog to groom)

just wondering your thoughts

If you arrived 10 minutes early and then waited 10 minutes, you didn't really "wait" any additional time for her. I always give them at least 15 minutes. You never know what might have happened, they might be running just a min or two behind and then should you ever run behind, they will be more understanding. If I had a 1pm appointment and someone was there early and then only waited until 1pm, honestly, I'd be a bit upset. Now if she arrived home 30 min after her scheduled appointment, etc. she'd never have known how long you waited.
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Maybe I wasn't clear, I arrived 10 min early, as I try to always be early or on time, and waited another 10 after 1:00, so left around 1:10-1:15, didn't mean, left at appt. time.

Comment

OH!

Originally posted by rocky1 View Post
        Maybe I wasn't clear, I arrived 10 min early, as I try to always be early or on time, and waited another 10 after 1:00, so left around 1:10-1:15, didn't mean, left at appt. time.
        Yes, I was thinking the same thing as mylady, lol. Well, if the client has been reliable, I would wait up to 15 mins after the appointment time, I suppose, unless there was a reason not to do so.

Comment

Yep I wait 10 -15 min after the time. No I wouldn't have the client come to you at your other clients house, I try to think of the other clients space. I wouldn't want a stranger coming to my house with a strange dog on my property that kind of thing...unless they were friends then its a different story or next door neighbors. If you have space later in the day book then or another day. If the client has a cell phone make sure to have that handy so you can call that, then hopefully they answer to say they are running later or something.

I had a new client last yr stand me up. Made me so mad. I got there 10mins early, rang doorbell heard a dog bark & someone yell at the dog. So I waited. No one came to the door. I rang again, same thing dog bark lady yell at it. I knocked no one came. I thought well maybe I'm early they aren't coming to the door yet, I could only hope. Went back to truck, called no answer so I left a nice message saying I was out side waiting to groom their pug. At the time of the appt I tried knocking again, nothing. So I waited 10 min after & left a note. Never heard from them.

Shannon
          The Soapy Puppy

Comment

when i make appointments i tell clients that i might get there upto 30 mn before or upto 30 mn after the appointment time a gave them because dogs can be unpredictable at times and traffic too i also let them know that if i'm going to be any earlier than that or later than 30 mn that i will call them as soon as possible to give them the proper time or not make them late for anything.

but going back to your question i think 10mn wait is good enough if she has always been there at home when you have appointments and she was not there that time then it's not your fault always leave a note with time you left and also call them or leave a message too!

i hate when that happens it throws my whole day off and then they expect me to return ASAP!

Comment

Ahh, that makes more sense!
              What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

I wait 15 min. for them if I'm on time.I usuallly leave a window of a hour when I will be there like 1 to 2o'clock if I get there at 1:30 and no one is home I leave.If i'm wright there at 1 I will wait for fifteen min.then leave.

Comment

That's just it, they are not on a regular schedule. They have a little schnoodle, and only call when he gets matted to the skin. I will put them in when I have an opening. I've tried to get this dog on a schedule, and it just hasn't worked out. So I understand why she wants him done(he's matted), but I have no other openings this week.

Comment

a phone call...

sometimes help with locating the customer. I usually wait about ten minutes and then will start calling. Lots of times, customers are around the corner and were just caught in traffic or their appointment ran late....but atleast by calling them I did all I could before leaving them and hoping they call me when they get home. I also always leave a business card letting know I was there if they do not show up.

Comment

I'm not a mobile groomer, but I usually give them up to15 minutes after their appointment time to arrive at the shop. If they don't arrive by then, I call them and ask if they would like to reschedule. The phone call to reschedule kinda lets them know that I am no longer gonna wait for them to show up I take a dog every hour usually. If someone shows up a half-hour late, it really sets me up to be behind on my next appointment.

Comment

Like many, 15 minutes

If no one is home, I call and say I will be leaving at say 1:15. If they call and say they are stuck in traffic or what have you, I'll wait a bit longer. I've only had one that would do that, but her dog sadly died. Another one sometimes gets goofed up but I call, it's her cell phone, and she'll give me permission to get the "hidden key" and go ahead. I do always call the day before, and charge $20 for a no-show.
                        Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Have Definately had those days!

This week i had an appt set up in a town that is about 20 minutes from the town i live in. Its a mother and daughter and i do both their dogs at moms house. Oh and of course i have the 123 pet software that sends my clients a reminder via text or email a couple of days before.

Well i arrive and i go ahead and kick on my generator so that my water heater can start heating up water while i go and get my fluffy clients and see what they want done this time. I knock on the door and the son answers in suprise and i tell him that im here to groom his mom and sisters dogs. Well they're not there and hes franticly trying to get ahold of his mom to let her know im here. Finally after 15 mins he gets ahold of here and shes like yeah we'll get them in, in about two more weeks. He offers to even pay and i guess she tells him no. He tells me that she doesn't have the money and she'll get them groomed in 2 weeks.. HELLLLLOOOO! i drove 20 miles one way to come groom your dog and you can't even say sorry? im pretty nice but this is ridiculous and very inconsiderate. Gas is $2.79/ gallon which my truck and generator thats out there running at the moment is using. Whats wrong with people? i don't understand.. I get alot of this from the clients that live out here in Elk city Oklahoma. Theres times i want to pull my hair out and theres times i want to stop grooming cause im so frustrated that i work so hard to make everyone pets look and feel great and even try to have the best of the best for their pooches and they don't care.

I just want clients that are wanting to keep up with their pets and appreciate my efforts that i put out to keep my mobile salon sanitized and to use the best products on their pets. What do i have to do??!! I get these dirty matted dogs and its this once a year let me call you to do a miracle on my dog and when they get bad again then i'll call for another appt. GRRR! im so frustrated guys and im sorry if i sound like im whinning but ive just about had it.

I also have a policy i have every client sign stating about no shows and cancellations less then 24 hours and they'll be charged the full groom unless its an emergency. The son felt really bad and gave me $20 for gas but it wasn't his responsibility to do that. Im sending a letter to these clients, im going to waive the fee this time cause im to nice but im going to nicely let them no what the policy states and in the future they need to please be considerate of my time and money loss.

any suggestions? cause i don't know how to reach better clients, im tired of the ones i keep getting and don't get me wrong i have a few that are wonderful but the majority i could care less if they ever call me back again.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky1 View Post
                            After leaving, heading to next appt. receive a call, and she wants me to come back,
                            So since she wasn't there and you didn't groom her dog, weren't you early for the next one? Why couldn't you swing back around later in the day to do her dog?

Comment

Originally posted by kputman View Post
                              So since she wasn't there and you didn't groom her dog, weren't you early for the next one? Why couldn't you swing back around later in the day to do her dog?
                              wasn't in the area----was leaving that area to head uptown for the rest of the day

Comment

Working...
                              X