Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Many Mobiles Out There Have Frequent Generator (Onan6500) Problems?Or Onan Probs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Many Mobiles Out There Have Frequent Generator (Onan6500) Problems?Or Onan Probs?

Since Feb 15th when I had the new (1700hr) gen installed I have had nothing but problems. I had it taken out Friday evening to go to Avondale waaaay west of me over an hr away to be tested on the expensive testing block for load capacity problems. Cummings has had it since 6:30AM today and never called and has not tested the load yet! If it isn't back by early AM tomorrow running perfectly then my RV guy has to reinstall the old working one. It was working fine in Feb but now has been sitting covered in the garage since then. Luckily I have two work at home and one non working nice clients that will work with me on time. This is really getting ridiculous!

I still believe Onan is the best gen for the job and the only one that fits my space anyway. With all of you mobiles out there do you have dependable gens that work each day when you go to start them up? I have a roof A/C Coleman I think and a CV and recirc and Kool dry which I read doesn't use much power. I only use A/C with one other thing at a time. Vent Vent Vent GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

I want my gen to work perfectly.....AND I WANT IN NOW!!!!!!

Nooooo, I will not switch for a different model! The purpose for the second one is to have parts for the original. It's commercial and when it works it is great.

Common problems are caused by:

Dirty fuel
    Lack of maintenance
    Low oil level
    Improper installation

So says my Onan guy in Pensacola. We keep the air and fuel filters changed, the oil gets changed every month whether it needs it or not, and check the oil level every day. Since the engine is air cooled, it relies on the oil to help keep things cool, Low oil levels make the engine run hotter and that makes the generator itself hotter, not good for things like the control boards that monitor system performance.

Oil and filters are cheap. New generators are expensive. But Onan must have something going for it, as my husband says that when you see a generator in an emergency vehicle like a emergency command post, you'll find there's an Onan generator and/or an Onan Equinox inverter system in it.

Laura
    "With God's help, all things are possible!"
    Laura Lee Ray
    I am kats_melody on eGroomer. Follow my Twitter tweets - @ZOOMGROOM on Twitter.com

Comment

Ohhhhhh boyyyyyy. I sure hope Fast Ellie doesn't see this. She is having the BIGGEST UN-love affair w/ Onan right now........
      Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

I think the generators are fine...it the Cummins Onan that are the problem. The Cummins here told me that I needed a new generator at less than 4000 hours. After speaking w/WNT it was determined that all I probably needed was a new engine ($900 vs. $5500 for a new one). When I called Cummins I was told that they couldn't get the part and that they didn't do that kind of work. Luckily, I knew a mobile groomer who found another company that worked on them and they took care of it. They also found things that Cummins had done wrong and that was kind of scary to me. I've had a couple of minor issues since and the new garage always took me in right away and solved the problem. The funny thing is, I know another mobile groomer who has had major problems with her generator and has been trying to get a new one...guess what...they put a new engine in hers...hmmmmmm....
        don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

No common problems here.....

It was all spiffed up for me when I got it, has had everything done known to need doin'. No dirty fuel, lack of oil etc. I had considered it could be wired wrong but they even tried that. Geeez I hope the Az Cummings finds the prob and fixes it as my RV guy really is good and very fair. It just HAS to get fixed asap. My RV is honest too, really he is.

Comment

Well I did see this

Sibes is right.....am having a big un-love affair with Onan now.

I will start a thread for mobilers with Onan gens and explain what I'm up to.....will need all your help.

So stay tuned.

I'll be back on this subject.

Comment

When they work you love them, when they don't you hate them! I spend a ton of money on my generator up keep and repairs. Every 3 weeks an oil change every 450 hrs a tune up. I have a small engine guy who does the basics for me which has saved me a lot. But, when it acts up in to goes to Onan Cummins for the pros to look at. They have actually been good, (squeaky wheel LOL) the last repair was total warranty work, the main belt shredded FYI 5 year warranty. For those of you with Wagntails, call Jamie before doing anything major, I found out the hard way. Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by furrybestjob View Post
                I think the generators are fine...it the Cummins Onan that are the problem. The Cummins here told me that I needed a new generator at less than 4000 hours. After speaking w/WNT it was determined that all I probably needed was a new engine ($900 vs. $5500 for a new one). When I called Cummins I was told that they couldn't get the part and that they didn't do that kind of work. Luckily, I knew a mobile groomer who found another company that worked on them and they took care of it. They also found things that Cummins had done wrong and that was kind of scary to me. I've had a couple of minor issues since and the new garage always took me in right away and solved the problem. The funny thing is, I know another mobile groomer who has had major problems with her generator and has been trying to get a new one...guess what...they put a new engine in hers...hmmmmmm....
                Shoot did you visit the onan in Rocky Hill?

Comment

1st Onan ran 6000 hrs. without a tick. 2nd Onan I've had lots of problems, mostly during Thanksgiving and Christmas. After about 6 trips to Onan (1 1/2 hours of L.A. traffic both ways) they finally pulled it. One cylinder was out of round and the flywheel had broken apart destroying the magnetos and fan. I have no idea what any of that is, just reading off the paperwork. It was still under warranty so no charge.

Comment

JUNK JUNK and JUNK

Had to replace mine,never would by one again

Comment

Update On My Onan Situation

Cummings has the new (1700 hr one) Was supposed to test and fix and have it back Yesterday afternoon. They never trouble shot to fix it....Wed they say. So My RV guy came to put the old one back and did. It smoked and died. Soooo he has a 7000, the new upgrade ones he rebuilt he is trading me for old and new one + $200 install, as it will take a lot of work to fit and the exhaust is on the other side. I hope to be up and running Friday morning. Today I used my two cords and plugged in, but he will have the rig for a day or two so I will not be working until Friday I guess. One new client was going to cancel anyway as she having serious health problem and her Turbo tax isn't working either. Guess I have a few days off and the others are ok for next week. I don't think Onan is junk. The old gen was used when I got it with the used van and it served me fine and was working when I retired it. maybe it was ready to go, I will never know . This new one will carry a bigger load than I ever use. It all works out in the end, so I am not stressed about it. Neither have warrantys but I know my regular guy will keep it running for me. This poor guy has lost a lot on this twin Gen deal. I hope he can sell the two for parts

Meantime my tummy hurts and I think I may have an ulcer. Pepcid isn't working. Such is LIFE ,I am smiling through it anyway.

Reminded of "Thats' Life" the Sinatra song. Riding high in April and shot down in May. Maybe I will be riding high in April and May and so on. LOL

Comment

Working...
                      X