Time to hang up the smock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to hang up the smock

The doctor says that I have to quit grooming. So I'm retiring. The van is being put up for sale this week.

It's a bit of a letdown with all of the work my husband and I did to get started, but he and the doctor tell me that my health is more important. It's been great being here on this forum, and great meeting some of you in person.

If anyone knows anyone who can use a fully equipped van, including supplies and tools, drop me a line.

Thanks to everyone here.

Laura
    "With God's help, all things are possible!"
    Laura Lee Ray
    I am kats_melody on eGroomer. Follow my Twitter tweets - @ZOOMGROOM on Twitter.com

So sorry to hear this. If you lived closer I would think about the rig more but that would be a little too much trying to get it up here.

Shannon
    The Soapy Puppy

Comment

wow...that's tough

So have you given any thoughts to what the future holds? As sad as it is to see someone HAVE to leave the profession... there could be wonderful new door opening.

Comment

so very sorry to hear this news....you are always such an enthusiastic contributor to this board and obviously love grooming. Can you train someone or hire someone to work in your van for/with you so that you do not have to give up the grooming biz all together but don't have to do all the work either? Hope it all works out for you!!!!

Comment

Once a groomer, always a groomer. Even if you aren't able to run your mobile business anymore I hope you still come chat with us here on the board. Your health is the most important thing, though I certainly understand how hard this may be for you when you've put so much into your business. Hoping for many good things to find their way to you.
          What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Why Are You Quitting?

Hey Kat, I didn't hear why you have to quit. So sorry to hear that! Maybe like Lady says, you can hire someone and supervise. (?) I might drive you crazy watching, though.

Comment

I am sorry you have to quit being a groomer you obviously love it so much as many of us do.

I hope it is nothing too serious healthwise for you and you are otherwise alright.

Comment

Very sorry

So sorry about health forcing the issue. I don't remember reading what is going on, but hope you can find out how to help your health improve. Don't forget all the holistic/alternative information that abounds nowadays. I have seen some amazing turnarounds!!

Best of luck to you.

Comment

Bummer

Isn't there anything you can do? Maybe train your hubby to groom, and you take over the books and appointments, etc? There must be an alternative for you? I am in your area and am in the market for a rig...if you really must sell. I've pm'd you with my number. Give me a call if your plans don't change. But I honestly hope that you can figure out a way to keep your business. I know that you and your hubby have put much blood, sweat and tears into it. So sorry...

Comment

im sorry to hear that you have to retire due to health reasons.

will you be posting your van on this site?

Comment

I have a back condition that started in the military, I've done one too many big hairies and the medication I have to take makes me groggy, not good when you are handling sharp pointy things around wiggling creatures.

My husband retired from the Air Force back in 1996, he doesn't have an interest in going to grooming school, he ran the business end and built our van to my needs and specifications from the chassis up. I couldn't ask more of him.

I need more fresh air, less stress, and no more lifting dogs of any size says the doc. The business became profitable in the last quarter of 2009, and nearly all our debts are paid off.

Hubby will even deliver the van for his costs in lodging (Motel 6) and fuel and a cheap plane ride home. If anyone is interested in a van where you could start grooming tomorrow (including all the tools, shampoos, conditioners, etc.) drop me a PM. I'm still working on getting it posted here in the classifieds.

Laura
                      "With God's help, all things are possible!"
                      Laura Lee Ray
                      I am kats_melody on eGroomer. Follow my Twitter tweets - @ZOOMGROOM on Twitter.com

Comment

Laura, get ALL the money up front for your sake. Please don't just leave us. You have plenty of valuable advice to give. Remember you can always manage a shop or something. You will be INVALUABLE as a receptionist/manager/trainer.
                        "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                        People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

So sorry to hear about your back problem. I have downsized to smaller dogs and I am still downsizing from the heavy small dogs. I need to make my life easier too. I would love to stop grooming, my doctor has told me too but I can't financially and I love it. Grooming dogs under 20 pounds is better for me.
                          I hope your back gets better soon.
                          Good luck

Comment

There is no way you can just do small dogs? under 20# even under 10#?
                            I am sure you have tried but going to ask anyway...

Have you done accupuncture? Weekly massage? Chiro? Take your vitamins? Eat lots of fruits/veggies? Shoved an ice pack in your pants and kept working? Can you wear a brace?
                            We don't want you to thrown in the smock!!!
                            My back hurts all the time, c1,c2, l1, l2, knees, hips...accu/massage/chiro has been wonderful for me, and I usually have an icepack in my pants, lol. Really not funny because its no fun to have discomfort all the time, but I am not a pill person, so I will so all of those other things to help control it. I also need to lose about 40#'s and my feet and knees would feel better. I had not been able to exercise for about the last year, no energy, found out I had a severe Vitamin D deficiency, I have energy now but have gained 10 pounds more than what I am used to carrying. Oh water therapy has been helpful in the past as well but I live in KS, wee bit chilly to swim here in the winter, lol.
                            Or can you retain your easiest clients and keep grooming?

Comment

Originally posted by henrythe8th View Post
                              There is no way you can just do small dogs? under 20# even under 10#?
                              I am sure you have tried but going to ask anyway...

Have you done accupuncture? Weekly massage? Chiro? Take your vitamins? Eat lots of fruits/veggies? Shoved an ice pack in your pants and kept working? Can you wear a brace?
                              We don't want you to thrown in the smock!!!
                              My back hurts all the time, c1,c2, l1, l2, knees, hips...accu/massage/chiro has been wonderful for me, and I usually have an icepack in my pants, lol. Really not funny because its no fun to have discomfort all the time, but I am not a pill person, so I will so all of those other things to help control it. I also need to lose about 40#'s and my feet and knees would feel better. I had not been able to exercise for about the last year, no energy, found out I had a severe Vitamin D deficiency, I have energy now but have gained 10 pounds more than what I am used to carrying. Oh water therapy has been helpful in the past as well but I live in KS, wee bit chilly to swim here in the winter, lol.
                              Or can you retain your easiest clients and keep grooming?
                              Henry, just because you are heavy is no reason not to exercise. ask your Dr. for a recommendation to a personal trainer or physical therapist who can guide you through exercises in a pool. WAY easier on the joints as the water LIFTS you. Fat floats so it will be easier than for a thin person to work out in water. When I learned to scuba dive I stayed a$$ upward. [waggles eyebrows & cigar, clashes cymbals]
                              Last edited by Smart-n-Pretty; 04-12-10, 09:22 PM.
                              "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                              People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Working...
                              X