My turn for old van issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My turn for old van issues

Ok my gas gage on my 1988 grooming van hasn't been working that great. Its on E very soon after filling it full or so the tank says its full by making the nozzle click. Well I thought I had enough to get to the station but I made it out to the main road (maybe half mile) & the van started shaking, stuttering & backfiring. Luckily neighbor Tim in his 20's helped me out, he knows my van inside & out as he helped my husband build it. He is now a certified machanic, he just finished his schooling. My husband is in school (for the same thing) on the weekends so I couldn't call him. I do have 2 tanks but I was only filling the front one, why I don't know. Just me lol. Guess I didn't want to deal with 2. Anyway when I filled up after the rescue off the rd. It looks like there is something wrong with the front tank. The back tank which had Tim's 5gal of gas in it, took another 14gal. The front tank which I know was dead empty took barely 11gal. My gage inside said the front one was barely full then the needle started dropping, all the way to barely above half tank. You think something is wrong with it? lol. The rear tank said full & stayed at full all the 2 miles home.

2wks ago the van was shuttering at a stop & then it would die, did that 2 times. Hubby & Tim worked on the van & found the EGR part was bad. Not a cheap part but they found a good website that had the part for almost $60 cheaper, the bummer was the 7day wait for shipping. So we get that on there. No more shuttering & dieing at stop lights. Its still not running that great. No fun

Shannon
    The Soapy Puppy

I have to laugh at this, only because I deal with the same thing with my fuel guage. I fill both tanks to the top and the front tank will go to full but within a few minutes be on E, or 1/4 or a half, whatever. The bank tank never goes over 1/4 tank on the guage even when completely full. I've gotten used to it and have never run out, but I always have to tell my employee how much she has before she goes anywhere.
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

I used to have a truck with two fuel tanks...what a pain in the butt!! Every once in a while the rear tank would syphon the fuel from the front tank, and vice versa. So I always tried to keep both tanks full, so they would not syphon off of each other. This was on a 1985 Ford 250 P/U truck, and it was diesel also.

Comment

Your problem with correct reading is in the pickup in the tank. The level of fuel depending on the mfg is based on resistance and the amount of resistance sent to the actual fuel gauge. This can becaused by a bad wire leading to the pickup unit in the tank to the gauge or more likely a bad pick up unit in the tank. The placement of the fuel tank under the vehicle tends to get a lot of water, dirt and if you are up north a lot of salt spray. The wire could be corroded or have a break in it. Replacing the sending unit wire to the fuel gauge might solve the problem. If not then look at the sending unit itself in the tank. It will require dropping the fuel tank and pullling the unit and replacing it. If you go to your dealer ship they should be able to tell you the resistance to measure with an ohm meter. That is the quickest way to tell if its the sending unit int he tank, a bad wire or a bad gauge.

Ok are you confused? I hope not its not hard to figure out just takes some time and a good electrical automotive guy.

As far as stuttering goes and dying I would look at the fuel lines and fuel filters. If you are leaving old fuel in a second tank and not using it the gas is probably bad and the lines are varnished. Today's fuels are only stable for about 90 days and then start to break down. This is because of EPA regs. and because today's fuels are a blend of traditional gasoline and ethanol. They will begin to separate and ethanol is never corrosive in its natural form. I won't get into a lot of specifics here, but I use to work in the racing/performance/aftermarket automotive parts mfg. and I did a lot of study and insight with industry experts when I was into marketing for the company I worked for.

In the end they never listened to me and they had major warranty issues over this and are just now making the right moves to correct the problem (4 years later that is). If they had listened to me when I voiced my concerns I discovered during my research it would have saved them 100's of thousands of dollars in issues and consumer claims, but who am I just someone who cared at the time and they thought I was just making a mountain out of a mole hill. Arrogant A_ _ _ _ _ _ _. Serves them right. Do I sound a little bitter? Sorry just had to vent a little while trying to help. Good Luck.

Comment

I'm sorry, Honey. I know how you feel LOL!
          "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
          People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Well when my husband got home we took it back to the gas station & filled the front tank the rest of the way. It was reading half & now full. My husband thinks I was just trying to fill it too fast & that the angle of the neck of the tank is different so it requires a different way to fill. We'll see if that's it or not. I still think there is something wrong. The gage needle wiggles all over for the front tank but doesn't do that for the rear tank.

Celebpet - this is a 1988 Ford van E250, we converted it. We don't have a dealer, have never bought from a dealer just owner owned. My husband & our neighbor who is now AC certified are my machanics. I will keep bugging them about checking things. Since my husband is in school he will be able to get credit for working on it so that is good.

Shannon
            The Soapy Puppy

Comment

Well, now I think mine is leaking diesel, sigh.
              What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Working...
              X