Just curious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just curious

When does one turn an owner in for neglect? Being in a shop and in a mobile I have never turned anyone in I can think of a few instanceswhere I probably should have. Does anyone know the answer to this or would that be something animal control should answer?

Originally posted by Charla View Post
    When does one turn an owner in for neglect? Being in a shop and in a mobile I have never turned anyone in I can think of a few instanceswhere I probably should have. Does anyone know the answer to this or would that be something animal control should answer?
    Is it neglect when they call us to help their neglected pet?

Comment

When you have to ask the question, you already have your answer.

Comment

Been there, done that. The problem is that once the animal is brought in for grooming, it is no longer considered neglected.

Of course, if the animal is skin and bones, if it's covered with sores, if the collar has grown into the animals neck, then you can drop a dime on 'em. But if it's just a matted, filthy mess, no matter how badly matted and dirty, nope. They won't consider it neglected.

I did make the appropriate calls on one owner last spring. A filthy, matted cocker that was dripping with maggots. We were told to clean the dog up, photograph everything, and animal control would follow up to see that he dog recieved medical care. But that's been the only case where they've actually been able to do anything.

Comment

I did once.

It was in a shop...not mobile. The store has a vet office inside of it along with the grooming shop.

On a busy Saturday (for the vet and grooming) a couple came in with a shih tzu wrapped in a towel. They went to the vet where they were asked to fill out a basic form (name and address and what's the problem). They were told to wait..it'd be a while but they'd be seen eventually.

They then walked into the groom shop and spoke to the grooming manager..I eaves dropped. They wanted the dog shaved down. They said he had maggots on him. I couldn't see from my vantage point but they put the dog on the counter and unwrapped the towel for the manager to see and she saw the maggots on the dog's back. She told them they'd need to be seen and treated by a vet first and then once the vet said it was okay we could get them in for the groom.

They were confused. They just wanted the dog shaved..that's what they wanted the vet to do too....just shave the dog. They didn't seem to understand that the dog needed medical attention! They said that usually the dog was in indoor dog but since their other dog had puppies he'd been outside.

So....since we wouldn't shave the dog they left. We watched them leave the building and get into their car and drive away.

I walked over to the vet office and got the information sheet from them and called our county sherriff's animal cruelty unit. I spoke to a woman who said they'd send someone to the house to check it out. I don't know the outcome but I never hesitated to call!!

Comment

Working...
          X