Gonna do it right this time...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gonna do it right this time...

I posted this original situation on the old board last year. When I first started, I had woman call who had 14 maltese. I gave her my prices and she wanted a discount. Since it was to be every 3 weeks, I decided a discount would be okay. She did not think my discount was enough. She said her last groomer charged $20 a dog...and was mobile (I think she was lying). ANyhow, she never booked and I was relieved. Well, she calls last night (got the voicemail this am) saying she saw me in her neighborhood and gave her name and number. She said "I raise Maltese (red flag) and want to see what you can do for me" (other red flag). I believe she does not remember that she already "tried" her powers on me, LOL! I looked in my notes, and sure enough, her name, number and our conversation notes were all there! So, I will be calling her back now. I plan to act as if nothing happened, give her my rates and stick to my guns. If she asks for a discount, I will tell her no (keep in mind, most of them are in full coat according to our last conversation.) I also will not agree to schedule more than 3 or 4 at once, depending on what they need done (no way after the 6 dog no show!). I am not desperate for business like I was, and I have several very good clients that do not try to cut me down...I also have no openings until May 1st! Deep breath...here I go!

If you do take her, have her prepay for sure! I might also nicely say "I remember speaking with you and I'd be glad to give you my current rates. For families for more than one dog, I discount for every 2". That is how we do our pricing for boarding together in one run and some add on services. So for a family with 3 dogs, they get the discount for 2 together but then pay the full rate for the third. If there was 4, they would get the 2 runs both at discounted prices. That is how I would do someone with this many grooms. I have also found that people with this many can be "odd" and I'd get paid up front. There is one customer who is a breeder and she had dogs coming and going depending on who was in heat over a month long period. At the end once we finally got all of the bills together and she paid, we found another outstanding bill. She attempted to not pay it and tried to tell me what a great customer she was. I finally told her that, in fact, dealing with her and her special breeding gross ultra elaborate diet, dogs coming and going etc. was actually a giant PIA and it would be fine with me if she didn't want to come back but I would see her in small claims about that bill. She paid it with a huge attitude, guess who crawled back this year without a sound, made her prepay too! Set the rules up front.

Comment

Paws

As you know, I live near by. I am sure she called me too, about a year ago. I did not offer 20 per dog. I think the lady is a nut case. Also, you know Maltese x how many? One matted night mare. The one I did of only two last Sat took me 2 hours for just the one demat? The lady never called back. Even splitting them up, I could be getting more money for less work somewhere else. Let her go to a cheap shop in AJ.

Comment

Update...

Well, she has 14 maltese and she is the same lady I spoke with...she did not seem to remember already calling me. She did ask for a discount and I said no, each dog was just as much work as the next and that my rates all come down to time. I also told her I have no openings until May 1st and I could not do the whole lot at once. She sounded surprised, but not rude at all. I told her a few places to look up other groomers and that there is a local groomer she could try that is called (i am not kidding) Discount Mobile Grooming...no offense, they may be a great company, but I was being a smart ass and couldn't help myself. I was polite and nice about it all. She also told me after her cheapo groomer stopped working for her (went out of business she says...duh!) that she started taking them to a shop and that was very hard for her to do. She said she tried one other mobile groomer but that groomer gave her dogs ear mites and ticks (whatever!) and she had just finished treating them all....I just said, "I am sorry you had that experience" and moved on. I am so happy to have this call over with!

Comment

Paws, My New Greeting Tells Base Price.

If she calls me again, she will hang up when she hears my full groom price! I have seen the discount grooming ad too, and know nothing about them. I do remember the outrageous amount of dogs she had. I did talk to her a long time ago, I think before you started.She kept trying to work a deal.I read Stephens' suggestion to SHINE and changed my greeting to explain the comfort and convenience, how it is not for everyone but those who need it, appreciate it.To get rid of shoppers for cheap, I now quote fee for spa package. Also size limits. No dog over 40lbs.

Comment

Jane, my message states my base fee, too. She even said, I know you said your rates start at ---, but I was hoping we could work something out? Ha! I said, "what did you have in mind?" and that threw her off, you could tell. I am so happy with all I have learned from others on this board. I am so thankful everyday to have such a great tool, and sharing, kind people to help use it.

Comment

How about this idea. I have offered it to a couple of people who have attempted to cut my cost down and told me they will do the bath, poodles face feet and tail, if I will just come and set the pattern on the body because they are not good at that. I tell them that I offer GROOMING LESSONS for twice the price of the dogs haircut I will teach them how to groom there own dogs, they can have as many lessons as they want. I go and show them how to groom there dog. They really appreciate it. Makes me more money and I don't have to haggle with my prices. If you were an owner of 14 maltese and didn't know how to groom them what would you do? I know I can't afford my prices of coarse if I wasn't a groomer I probably wouldn't have a high maintenance breed. What do people think when they have that many dogs. If they had 14 kids would they ask for a discount on there vaccines?

Comment

20$ sound low to me. 25$ sounds like a better rate with all the work required. If she wants that many dogs then she has to put up the money. Something sounds a little off to me about this woman.
                Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.- Richard Carlson

Comment

Poodlefluff...that is a great idea. I have offered teaching owners before, and showed a few, who ended up just booking me to do it in the end. This woman does not sound like the type to do it herself, she is just being cheap. She breeds them and is probably just trying to make as much profit as possible.

I can't imagine a mobile groomer doing it for even $25! Maybe at a shop?

Comment

In our shop we have a lady with 13 pomeranians and I don't charge $25 for each, I charge more and not all get full grooms.

Comment

Working...
                    X