generator placement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• generator placement?

I am wondering where to put my portable generator on my shuttle bus conversion? Can I build a compartment for it that vents outside? I am scared about CO2 and it weighs 250lbs so I cant move the thing everyday, where do I put it?

I just posted a thread with pics of my new mobile unit being built and it is on a shuttle bus. My friend removed the A/C condenser underneath and that is where he is putting the gene (also pictured) and is doing it in such a way that it can easily be pulled out and serviced when needed to. You'll see on the pic of the drivers side of the bus, there is a cut out area underneath, and that is where it is going.

And I know there are those that will say not to use a portable gene, I understand, but this is what I can afford right now, so please, no comments about that. Mine is a 66amp 8000 watt briggs and stratton and he's also building a muffler for it to make it quieter.
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

mylady

I was wondering why you removed the condenser lol. Figured I would wait and see if you did that on purpose. Hubby is doing a nice job by the way. try not cover too many wires that are hidden in the back wall. Fishing wire through those walls is no fun and seldom works.

Comment

Is there a better way to vent the generator so the fumes stay away from the bus? My bus still has windows but they will stay closed.

Comment

Parismom

Originally posted by Paris'mom View Post
          Is there a better way to vent the generator so the fumes stay away from the bus? My bus still has windows but they will stay closed.
          If it is portable how will you fill it with gas if it is in a box? How would you add a tail pipe to vent the exhuast away? Does it have to remain portable to service it? has'nt your hubby or who ever is building this thing asked you these questions? They need to vent cool air in and hot air out to cool the gen. Portables are used on bumper mounts or placed on the ground. Yours does not sound like it is an option if is 200+lbs. That does not mean it will work very well in a box either. Portables are built different.

Comment

My husband had our mechanic weld a platform to the back of my truck. That's what my generator sits on top of. It looks a lot like one of those luggage carriers that you can mount to the back of a vehicle only what I've got is larger & sturdier. I fill it up with gas the same time I get gas in my vehicle. I keep a cover over it when I'm not using it.

Similar to this type of thing... http://images.campingworld.com/is/im...00/34363n2.jpg

Comment

Wagntails has a tail pipe leading from the gene. It is mounted on the side. I would not put it under the van, it is to hard to service, and yes, it will take a lot of servicing. More than any other item it the van.

Comment

If you have a portable generator, your only safe option is to mount it on a platform at the rear of the bus. DO NOT try to enclose it in a housing under the bus, it will not get cool enough and will fail. The portable generators rely on air cooling to operate, the instructions on most of them prohibit their use in enclosed spaces.

The only generators that should be mounted in a compartment are those that are designed for mounting in a compartment. Those generators also come equipped with an exhaust system that vents the fumes away from the vehicle. portable generators do not have such exhaust systems.
                "With God's help, all things are possible!"
                Laura Lee Ray
                I am kats_melody on eGroomer. Follow my Twitter tweets - @ZOOMGROOM on Twitter.com

Comment

Originally posted by PetPixie View Post
                  My husband had our mechanic weld a platform to the back of my truck. That's what my generator sits on top of. It looks a lot like one of those luggage carriers that you can mount to the back of a vehicle only what I've got is larger & sturdier. I fill it up with gas the same time I get gas in my vehicle. I keep a cover over it when I'm not using it.

Similar to this type of thing... http://images.campingworld.com/is/im...00/34363n2.jpg
                  Thats what I'll do then, Then I can put a tail pipe on it to vent it away? Was everyone else nervous about operating a gennie for the first time? I think im gonna be so paranoid for awhile! Thanks for your help!

Comment

You won't have to worry about venting it. It will already be out in the open. I never have any problems with fumes.

Comment

Originally posted by PetPixie View Post

What kind of cover? The directions say don't operate when wet out, what do you do in rain? As you can tell im nervous about the generator and will be saving for a RV style in the future. Thanks for all your help.

Comment

I operate

my portable generator in all weather. It is mounted on the tongue of my trailer and I have had no problems out of it. It CAN be done!!
                        Michael

Comment

Working...
                        X