I become part of each family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I become part of each family

My second year mobile, for 95% of my customers they treat me like part of the family.
    In some homes.... Coffee before i started working
    in some homes... Soda and snacks
    the dogs like me like i belong to the family.

Maybe this is normal for all groomers, but when you're working in the shop, customers
    are never nice like this.

My only complaint... 90% of my customers never tip me out... Why?????

Ummmmmmmmmmm,, maybe they don't tip cause they are feeding you??? I always get a $$10-15 tip from my housecall clients.

Comment

Originally posted by FuzzyDog View Post
      My second year mobile, for 95% of my customers they treat me like part of the family.
      My only complaint... 90% of my customers never tip me out... Why?????
      Maybe the problem stems from "part of the family". Heck...I never tip family members, actually...come to think about it...I don't even pay them (unless it's for materials and supplies).

If it means that much to you....
      This might be a good opportunity for a little experiement...for the next 2 weeks...say "no thank you" to all the coffee, sodas, cookies, candy, etc. You've then taken away the one thing they can easily "give" you, so see if they can part with the one that's a little tougher, the "moola".

If all else fails...do what I sometimes do. Include a 1 or 2 buck tip in your total for them. That way they have done something nice that day, even if they didn't know it, and because doing something nice always makes people feel better...they will feel better for the rest of the day...and never know why. But you will know...it was because of you. Then take those 2 bucks...and go buy a cup of coffee, cuz you didn't get any this morning.
      Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

IDK, most of the homes I go to also try to feed me or give me something to drink, but most also tip as well. Perhaps in your area the economy is different? Perhaps people don't realize that it's okay to tip their groomer? Or maybe they offer food/drink because they can't afford to give more?
        My aunt and uncle always have at least one Lexus, usually two, in their possession, and the Lexs dealership they always buy from offers free car washes, all done by hand. Their belief is the best advertisement is a clean car on the road. Usually they would have young college guys washing the cars. While the cars are washed they offer the owners free drinks, snacks etc. And the first time I went with her I asked if I could go give the guy a tip (he was really cute and my age, this was years ago). She looked at me so strangely and said she had never thought about tipping him. Well, I've seen other car washes with tip jars, and she's getting a free wash, by hand, once a week. So she game me some cash and I ran out to give it to him. The salesguy who was in the room with us told my aunt she was the first person to ever tip any of the guys. I was amazed, but truly, some people just don't think about it.
        What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

I think part of it may be that old mentality that "you dont tip the owner of a business". Even my own DH believed that until I straightened that mindset out. If someone provides you with a good service, owner or not, you should tip. Hairdresser, lawn maintenance guy, house cleaner, whatever, you should tip.

Comment

Originally posted by puppy love View Post
            I think part of it may be that old mentality that "you dont tip the owner of a business". Even my own DH believed that until I straightened that mindset out. If someone provides you with a good service, owner or not, you should tip. Hairdresser, lawn maintenance guy, house cleaner, whatever, you should tip.
            some do some don't,...I charge as if I own the business and tipping is just the icing on the cake...I have some clients that even told me they don't tip the owners,...that's fine I charge what I need to make....but the ones that do tip, get 1st priority in my schedule....hoping the ones that don't tip figure that out some day!

I don't drive one but have also heard customers complaining that they don't need to tip anyone that can drive a Mercedes! I set them straight,..but some people just have their own ways.

Comment

Originally posted by 4liz2 View Post
              I don't drive one but have also heard customers complaining that they don't need to tip anyone that can drive a Mercedes! I set them straight,..but some people just have their own ways.

Ha! This is how I determine whether to give a senior's discount! If they're driving a car that's much better than mine (a 98 Honda civic)
              they don't get it!!!

Comment

I wouldn't advise tacking the tip on the bill yourself.

A tip is optional, not mandatory, and it's considered presumptuous to do that, at least where I come from. I talked to a customer just the other day who had quit going to one local groomer because they'd asked if they could keep her change. Personally I would've done the same thing.

This is a little off topic but I just wanted to point out that it's not ok with everybody. Personally I wouldn't tip the owner, or if I felt that the prices were high enough. If I thought she was a young lady trying to get out of debt and work her way up (like a waitress or cab driver) or if I was really impressed with the job she'd done and I knew I could afford it, then yeah, I'd definitely tip of my own free own will.

But you could try declining on coffee and not getting so friendly with any new customers you get.

Comment

I'm so worried about that...

I am loving the thought of really getting personal with the dog and people, but I try to eat organic food, and I have visions of little old ladies baking me cookies all the time... then what do I do? If I eat it i'll feel guilty... If I don't, i'll feel guilty. hehe...

I guess it comes with the job description.

Comment

Working...
                  X