Building my first Mobile Bus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building my first Mobile Bus

Ok I am building my own conversion, I was considering buying the book that is advertised on this site but here are my questions. Does this book cover wireing >or plumbing, I am going to be buying a generator, i would like to have available plug in in case of generatro failure. and I have now clue how to do the wiring or figure out what size generator i have to have or how to figure out what equipment i can use> The whole watts and volts and amperage thing is making my head spin. Will the book help me figure this all out???

Someone on this list suggested the RV Repair & Maintenance Manual by Bob Livington back when we were building. We found a used copy through Amazon.com for under $10. We found it to be very useful. It did help that my husband knows the basics of wiring etc & he bought a camper van. Even though we ripped it all out (molded) we took pictures of it all & set it all up the way it was before (lay out was the same just with grooming stuff lol). I just put the plugs in where I thought I would use them around the van. I do wish I had put one on the other side of the tub, maybe in our next rig. I left the bench seat / pull out bed for my daughter to play, I wish I had a plug over there so she could plug in her games etc.

Shannon
    The Soapy Puppy
    Last edited by Starshan; 03-27-10, 06:55 PM.

Comment

I asked the same question a while back and was told although it is detailed that you need to be pretty handy to make it work and figure it out. There are all kinds of issues of weight distribution and proper wiring and such.

But if your mechanically and technically inclined it might work for you.

Comment

Bob Livingston's book is a must for someone building a rig from scratch. It covers plumbing, wiring, generators, heating, and A/C.

Making sure you do not exceed maximum gross weight is important. Find the manufacturer's plate (usually on the driver side door or door frame) and look for a number next to "GVWR". That stands for Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. That is the weight you cannot exceed for the entire unit. Also important are the GAWR numbers, there are two of those. GAWR stands for Gross Axle Weight Rating, and that is the weight on the front and rear axles.

Weighing the vehicle after you have stripped it out will tell you how much weight you can put back in with new grooming equipment, heating and cooling, water tanks (weight of the tank AND the water in it at 8 pounds per gallon) generator, etc.

It's not a job for the faint of heart, and that is why the conversion companies charge so much for their product. There is a lot of planning and research that goes to making a vehicle that works and is safe to operate on the highway. It can be done, but you just can't throw a bunch of stuff into a van and hope for the best. That is a recipe for disaster.
        "With God's help, all things are possible!"
        Laura Lee Ray
        I am kats_melody on eGroomer. Follow my Twitter tweets - @ZOOMGROOM on Twitter.com

Comment

Working...
        X