Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

house call grooming! what can you not live without?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• house call grooming! what can you not live without?

Not mobile grooming, but I *think* this is where I should post this...

if you are a house call groomer what are the things you cannot live without? Is there a particular light weight portable grooming table? carrying case for you supplies? a do it all shampoo? ETC

Do you usually use a small portable clipper vac system? or regular clippers?

I am planning on ordering my start up supplies in mid June if everything goes as planned.

depends...

are you driving, in a city or the burbs?
    The case is the most important thing. Mine zips, has 2 swing out trays with an open bottom which fits clippers, muzzles, the dremel and shampoo.
    Of course everyone laughs at me because I make my clients get their own tables or surfaces AND they do it- also I do very little bathing (shhhhhh I sometimes do other breeds than terriers) but make them get their own hairdryers as well- love the little metro force... If no table at least a Rubber Maid bath matt...
    Can't live without my Kart-a-Bag roller which I put my case on to cruise around town after I park Bitsy, my Smart car. Still use an Oster 2 speed- have all the blades and snap ons. Fav all purpose shampoo, Blue Minx by Proline, a good antistat in winter, all my stripping knives of course but really love the CC Detail Sticks- they break easy so carry spares, couple of combs couple of brushes ( I have been know to leave things everywhere so need back up), a dremel AND Millers Forge Large Breed nail clippers- they work on all sizes ( including that darn cat one client has me trim nails on- 5 times the size of her Yorkie!). A jacket 3 pair of Geib scissors, thinning shears- all purpose handydandy M.F. 46 tooth.
    My kit weighs about 25 pounds, which is why it is on wheels. The smallest Kart-a-bag is the best set of wheels - I have tried many. Quiet and smooth with bungee cords attached.
    I have bunch of tables I'll drag to the Hamptons or the Berkshires for vacations when I can drive right up to the door if I have to. I keep a full salon in my house as well and have a warehouse here. You kinda collect alot of stuff after 22 years. So I have all kinds of dryers and scissors and extra clippers that I thought I might like stashed away but really the stuff in my kit now is all the same thing I have been carrying around for over 15 years.
    hope that helps.

Comment

thanks for the tips! I will be grooming in a small town. I am the only groomer within about 30 miles!

Comment

I love

to have my Hanvey portable HV dryer that vacs with clippers and vacs up my area. I love my Hanvey Bathing Beauty so I don't worry about attaching hoses or water pressure. I love my Groomers Helper so the pups behave so well while my customer is chatting. I use a fairly large rolling Pet Edge grooming supply holder. I purposely have a heavy table since when first starting a dog attempted to turn the table over almost on him.

All my tools are great. I love the Laube Speed Feed and that's the only clipperl I take in on a bath and tidy.

I guess if I were to choose one thing, it would be the Hanvey Dryer Vac. It's not advertised but they special order it.

I hope you do as well as I have.

I figure have any difficulty with my abilities I'd also have the customers have their own table. For now it keeps me fit getting mine in and out.
        Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

AuntieB, where di you find the cart you now use?

sittingpretty

Comment

I don't get why you would do in house grooming when you can have it all with a mobile salon, other than up front investment. I don't get how you keep the hair and mess contained. My clients wouldn't have the mess in their houses. Enlighten me. Thanks

Comment

thank you so much! I have never heard of that bathing beauty. looks like something worth saving for! I dont know if I can get that starting out my business, but shortly after when i have some more money saved up... that looks like a must have!

Comment

I love grooming housecall

Originally posted by groominshuman View Post
                I don't get why you would do in house grooming when you can have it all with a mobile salon, other than up front investment. I don't get how you keep the hair and mess contained. My clients wouldn't have the mess in their houses. Enlighten me. Thanks
                I am social and enjoy my customers. Not sitting alone in the confines of a Van. The dogs are thrilled to be in their own home. Very low overhead which is why it was cheap (compared to a Van or such) to invest in Hanvey BB & small vac/dryer. No parking a big van problems. 38 MPG in my car. Charge enough for the specialized service and groom 3 dogs a day making lots more than a lot of salon groomers. With the Taxi Vac little hair around. Big hairies in CA I dry outside. Most are though little poopsies that are adored. Almost all pre-booked and the lovingest customers ever, never once a year messes. Cleanup is likely less than cleaning up a Van between grooms. No generator problems, no water shortage fears, no heating or air conditioner costs.

All of this and I do a service for the grooming industry. I show the customers what really goes on in grooming.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrooh View Post
                  I am social and enjoy my customers. Not sitting alone in the confines of a Van. The dogs are thrilled to be in their own home. Very low overhead which is why it was cheap (compared to a Van or such) to invest in Hanvey BB & small vac/dryer. No parking a big van problems. 38 MPG in my car. Charge enough for the specialized service and groom 3 dogs a day making lots more than a lot of salon groomers. With the Taxi Vac little hair around. Big hairies in CA I dry outside. Most are though little poopsies that are adored. Almost all pre-booked and the lovingest customers ever, never once a year messes. Cleanup is likely less than cleaning up a Van between grooms. No generator problems, no water shortage fears, no heating or air conditioner costs.

All of this and I do a service for the grooming industry. I show the customers what really goes on in grooming.
                  What she said,,,lmao I don't want to deal with inverters, gray water, power thingies and all the headaches that go with mobile! I love housecall!

Comment

cant afford a mobile unit.
                    and also the reasons listed above

Comment

Originally posted by sittingpretty View Post
                      AuntieB, where did you find the cart you now use?

sittingpretty
                      Ditto. Sounds a load better than the cart I have.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrooh View Post
                        I
                        It's true people are amazed how much work it is and how much the dogs dislike it.

Auntie B what are the CC sticks you are referring to?

Comment

If I may, Auntie Beth...

Love these too.

http://www.cherrybrook.com/index.cfm...ting_Stone_3pk
                          There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Dog Daze View Post
                            how much the dogs dislike it.
                            Well many of my customer dogs love grooming. A few hide or back away, but quite a few are thrilled to see my come, barking with enthusiasm.

Comment

Originally posted by OntheBRINKofDisaster View Post
                              If I may, Auntie Beth...

Love these too.

http://www.cherrybrook.com/index.cfm...ting_Stone_3pk
                              I loved mine as well, but, they broke the first day I used them.
                              "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                              People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Working...
                              X