Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TAILSRWAGON
    replied
    My first generator had to be replaced at 3,490 hrs. This second generator is going strong so far at just over 3,000 hours.
    The maintenance guys tell me I have at least another 3000 hour lifespan on it.
    I have been meticulous on the maintenance.

Leave a comment:

• fivecats
    replied
    good luck

Good luck getting a lot of hours on your Onan. I am on my third Onan generator in my van. I can only get just past the warranty on mine (2,500 hrs). I have gone by the book on maintenance!! Unfortunately, I am stuck using an Onan due to mounting issues.

www.bathtimepetgrooming.com

Leave a comment:

• kats_melody
    replied
    The Homesite generator is a contractor grade unit

Originally posted by beccas View Post
    Does everyone on here that replied, have the commercial generators, or the 6500homesite? I regret having the homesite, cause I found out three hundred dollars later (due to voltage reg. replacement) it was not intended for what I use it for, when I use it, I use it for 4 hours a day, once a week, too loud for me, I find it much peaceful to plug in. This happened last year .That will work for now.
    Contractor grade generators are loud, and not suited for daily, all day operation like mobile groomers use them. They provide cheap, "dirty" power for things like emergency lighting, running power saws and electric pumps. The Onan commercial grade generators have two cylinder engines, a muffler and sound suppression, voltage regulation, and are designed for daily use. That's why they cost nearly $5K, instead of the $1000 for a contractor grade generator.

Leave a comment:

• groominshuman
    replied
    You love them when they work, hate them when they don't!

Leave a comment:

• Dog Daze
    replied
    Originally posted by MonyJJ View Post
    6073 hours and still counting, as long as you keep up the oil and filter changes and regular service you should have it running for a long time. glad to see some of the other higher numbers on here as my service guys are surprised how well its doing, but I really stay on top of the maintainence.
    I am encouraged by these high numbers as well

Leave a comment:

• MonyJJ
    replied
    6073 hours and still counting, as long as you keep up the oil and filter changes and regular service you should have it running for a long time. glad to see some of the other higher numbers on here as my service guys are surprised how well its doing, but I really stay on top of the maintainence.

Leave a comment:

• beccas
    replied
    genie

Does everyone on here that replied, have the commercial generators, or the 6500homesite? I regret having the homesite, cause I found out three hundred dollars later (due to voltage reg. replacement) it was not intended for what I use it for, when I use it, I use it for 4 hours a day, once a week, too loud for me, I find it much peaceful to plug in. This happend last year .That will work for now.

Leave a comment:

• kats_melody
    replied
    Treated right, you can get a long service life out of an Onan generator. There are many in RV service that are over 20 years old and still running strong. Our Onan mechanic says 7500 hours before a major overhaul (engine rebuild, replace drive belt, brushes, etc.)

Replacing one with a new one is about $5000.

Leave a comment:

• Button
    replied
    1st Onan 6000 hrs. no problems. This genny lots of problems. Starting just before Thanksgiving and ending (hopefully) last week when they replaced the motor. The cylinder wasn't machined to round. With 400 hours left on the warranty it only cost me 2 days of work, 4 days rental car, and about 15 inconvienced clients I am working 7 days this week to make up to. None of that stuff was covered. I paid $4700 for it in Feb.'09

Leave a comment:

• rocky1
    replied
    9200 hrs-----

and wouldn't run a rig without my generator. I bought her used, and after 3 years on my own only had a couple of repairs.
    Here's to at least a few more years

Leave a comment:

• Poodle Mom
    replied
    8400 hours... I pray to the generator Gods everyday! It works

Leave a comment:

• Meesh
    replied
    I had my first van 4 1/2 years before trading it in and the genset was going strong. That was working full time, not 8 hours a day 365 days a year -- that's nutz, no one works a whole year without a day off, so throwing that out there is ridiculous. I tend to run it 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week with the occasional longer day thrown in.

I did keep the first genset on all day, even when I took my lunch breaks because, like I said, it was a tad unreliable about starting back up once it was turned off. Mostly in the summer though. My current genset doesn't have that problem and I am racking the hours up much more slowly.

Leave a comment:

• Brahmadog
    replied
    Mine is going strong at 5200 hours and counting! I've had no issues, other than some oil leaks last January that was pretty pricey to fix, but only because I took it to the Onan place to be repaired.

Leave a comment:

• henrythe8th
    replied
    Say you ran the generator 8 hours a day 365 days a year and its life span was 5000 hours. So you would get nearly 2 years out of one?
    Of course, you don't run them that much, but just throwing that out there. How much are they to replace in the event the need arises?

Leave a comment:

• Meesh
    replied
    That's what I heard, but ...

mine was still going strong at more than that when I traded my van in for a new one last year. I kept it well-maintained and the only problems I had were a couple of repairs -- one $300 and one $400 in it's final summer. Other than those the only expense was oil and filters, my husband did the 150 hour changes and the 450 service I had done by the pros for fairly reasonable cost.

I've been really happy with my generators. My current one is slightly more reliable than the first one. That would occasionally not restart when it was turned off on a hot day until it had cooled down for an hour or so. Just on occasion -- nothing that happened in a repeatable way so it was never able to be fixed, but I had no problems living with it. But I like the current one better -- it has never (knock wood!!) failed me.

Meesh

Leave a comment:

Working...
X