Removing graphics and vehicle wraps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing graphics and vehicle wraps

Does anyone know how easy/hard it easy to remove a vehicle wrap and painted on names and phone numbers from a van?

It isn't too hard; you just start at one corner and use a small utility knife. Get the knife blade under one corner and lift it up. Then you can continue all around the vehicle pulling the vinyl off.

good luck,
    sittingpretty

Comment

Extremely easy if you just take it to the vehicle wrap place that is going to put the new design on it!

Comment

I wouldn't do it myself. After trying to get vinyl letters off my van and spending 2 hours and getting 2 off, I said forget it and just wrapped over it because I ALSO had painted on pictures. Literally, with a paint brush! They told me I either had to wrap over it or repaint the van. I used a hairdryer, as suggested by the sign place, and a putty knife plus mineral oil. Getting it wrapped over the old stuff was MUCH easier!
        What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Mylady when you wrapped over it did the old stuff show through at all?

Comment

Use a hair dryer, and it will take a long time because it comes off in pieces. It is more time consuming than hard. Pick a beautiful day, put on a bathing suit and spend the day sun bathing while removing your wrap. Good Luck

Comment

How about a steamer? I have a shark steam machine or might that blast the paint off?

Comment

Originally posted by Dog Daze View Post
                Mylady when you wrapped over it did the old stuff show through at all?
                If you are right up on top of it, you can see a relief type pattern of where the vinyl was, but you really have to be looking for it and be up really close. You can see a pic of my van on my website at www.transfurmations.com and see the wrap.
                What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Actually you need to purchase "Denatured Alcohol"- spray it, wait about 10 seconds and start removing with a scraper. This is what graphics places use... I have purchased a couple of used mobiles over the years.

Once all graphics are removed spray once more with denatured alcohol, leave and wipe again to remover any sticky remnants and fade out difference in paint. When totally finished rinse, rinse, rinse with clean water.

--- You can purchase denatured alcohol from Home depot or Lowes.

Comment

Originally posted by mylady View Post
                    If you are right up on top of it, you can see a relief type pattern of where the vinyl was, but you really have to be looking for it and be up really close. You can see a pic of my van on my website at www.transfurmations.com and see the wrap.
                    Oh I like your wrap and that would probably work to cover the back painted graphics also.

I love your memory of your mom on the back on how you put Mobile Grooming Services in big letters on the top to draw attention.

Comment

The best way to remove vinyl graphics and raps if you are going to do it yourself is to go to your home improvement store and purchase a heat gun. (paint department) They are reasonable. Then heat up the edge of it and begin to peel the graphic. Remember to pull out and streach as you pull, dont just pull against it. If you streatch it as you pull the adhesive will break loose and you can pull it off more easily. Think of it as removing one of those post it hooks that are not perminant. You need to stretch the grafic as you pull it.
                      good luck.

Comment

Really, really, really

hard.

Comment

Removing graphics and vehicle wraps

The removal process of a Vehicle Wrap is not a very difficult task. The wrap needs to be heated to reach a certain degree and pulled back slowly in a 45 degree angle. Using both hands with the fingers spread open so contact is made to the most of the surface of the film while pulling back. Do not yank the film. If the car wrap has been on the vehicle for more than 3 years then there is a chance that the adhesion is pretty strong, yanking the film may cause separation from the vinyl and laminate. A car wrap without a laminate is very difficult to remove. Removing a car wrap where a primer has been used on the edges is a nightmare… This not only causes the vinyl & laminate to separate but the adhesive residue left behind is extremely difficult to remove and clean. Also, it is very important to make sure when your wrap is installed that you request NO Primer is used…

Comment

Working...
                          X