Apartment Grooming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apartment Grooming?

So I was sent an email from an apartment manager. They want to do a special "free"grooming if their client signs another lease who happens to have a dog.

Here's the email: "My name is Theresa and I manage an apartment community in Puyallup. We are looking into offering our residents a renewal incentive of a free pet grooming session. We are looking to find a mobile pet groomer who is willing to give us special pricing as we will be using them every month. It is hard to say how many people would take us up on the offer but I factor we will have between 1 and 3 per month. As part of the special pricing we would put any brochures, flyers or business cards in our move in packets that we give to all of our new residents when they move in. Please let me know what your thoughts are and if you would be interested in helping us. Thank you for your time."

I'm not sure if I should just blow her off & send her to another mobile or should I try to make this work? I'm remember the other groomer on here that had the apt manager cancel a big day last min & I almost don't even want to try. I could use the build up of clients but just not sure. Ideas?

Shannon
    The Soapy Puppy

That was me. I agreed to go to a different complex to do a dog, then it turned out I couldn't plug in so had to drive another 17 minutes to her mom's house. I am about ready to deep six the apt complexes. Many parking lots are too tight for my van; I drive a 22 foot motor home.
    Deidre

Comment

Yes it was you I was thinking of but couldn't remember name It sounded so much like your deal with the apt but wanted some ideas first.

Shannon
      The Soapy Puppy

Comment

Don't do it, I have had a similar experience. They cancel at the last minute because no one signs up. And then to discount---no way, you could get big hairy nasty dogs. It just not worth the risk.

Comment

Find out how much the complex wants to pay & decide what you will do for that, for instance offer a face feet & fanny for $50 for a medium dog & the tenant is liable for the rest. Make sure the complex pays you up front & if the tenant misses the appointment they are tough outta luck.
          "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
          People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

I would talk to them about the idea. I would NOT give any price discounts....remember, they approached YOU as the incentive to keep thier current renters and will not be promoting your service. Alot of renters would love the free groom, but won't reschedule the next one on their nickel so you will not benefit from the deal. Brochures will benefit them..not you. If you pick up a client from the deal..good, but I wouldn't count on it. I have had clients buy gift certificates for friends and family and have yet to have the receiver of the free groom rebook.

I would make sure that the complex knows what days will be dedicated to their clients and these are the only days thier renters can be groomed. At the end of every month, you should get a list of the dogs that need to be groomed and a check that accompanies this list. They know who's moving in..they know how many have dogs. Also, make sure of the size limits if you have any.

Comment

I think it could be a great opportunity. Do you offer a multiple dog discount? Perhaps if she had 2 or more lined up for you, you could just give her that discount. If she up and cancels on you or if for any reason the dogs cannot be groomed and you have taken your time to go there, then CHARGE her for it. Cancellation fee or full price, whatever is your policy. If you do not offer a multidog discount, then perhaps the 'special pricing' could be $5 off for the incentive groom only, not for long term if the pet's owner choosing to continue using your services. The trade off is her advertising for you, IF she holds up her end of the bargain. I would get an agreement in writing, or as you say, pass her off to someone else.

Comment

I'd be curious about doing it. However I would NOT schedule specific days to do the groomings. I would have a payment plan worked out with the management (preferably before the groom happens, maybe after its scheduled) and then do the actually scheduling with the client. Maybe keep a credit card on file that belongs to the management so you can charge them directly?

For discounts, I would maybe try and working something out, probably a flat amount off each groom as a referral bonus? I'd be thinking like $5-10 off. Make sure you are very clear about how your pricing works (if you charge hourly, by breed, etc.) so they know that the prices are different for each pet.

Comment

i hate apt grooming.

for the most part parking is ****** and if they are already "demanding" a discount, that puts up the red flag already
                  if you decide to not get in and out of the van to lug dogs back to apts....THEN you end up waiting for people to either pickup their dog or show up WITH a dog. Get ready to have your cell phone on with everyone's # on it!

i live near so many high rise apts and only groom one dog at one of them. it is a 90bean groom and the dog is 6 pounds and takes 40 minutes.
                  I have to constantly worry where i park and make sure my cell is on and working so i can contact the owner when i am done....OR i bring the dog inside after waiting and waiting outside to be rung up.............ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh and then a discount???????????????????? no way the price should be HIGHER for apt grooming! LOL

Comment

Thanks everyone for your ideas. I decided to tell them no. They still want me to send some cards to put in their packets. I do have one client in an apt, its fine because its a country apt so its wide open, somewhat easy parking & they are ground floor in a 2 story apt. So, so far I don't mind apt's. I have looked as I pass some apt's see some ones I don't think I could do, like the ones with carports.

Anyway I turned it down because I didn't want to deal with the manager, only the client. Then the discount they wanted etc. This town is atleast 30mins away. I also found it was just a big mass email they sent out too. My mobile groomer friend got the same email, she forwarded it to me not knowing I had been sent the same one from the manager. She lives even farther away from this town. Now if the apt's around my town want to do something like this I might be more ok with it as it would be close.

Shannon
                    The Soapy Puppy

Comment

Working...
                    X