Who's Set Up for Credit Cards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's Set Up for Credit Cards?

I wondered, because I start my new mobile biz. in May. (YAY!) and I keep getting offers for credit cards. How many customers ask, and is a credit cards machine necessary? I don't want to be stuck with one if I don't need one!

I have a credit card machine and probably get 1 to 2 a week. This area is know for writing checks so I get a lot of checks. In other areas people use CC for everything. I got the wireless machine so I can process the card and then run it through my phoneline when I get home. I purchased the machine flat out instead of leasing it. I figured the upfront cost was less expensive then a monthly fee forever.

Comment

I am mobile and my policy is cash or check,my credit policy is 100% down and zero monthly payments! lol I really don't get asked often and I think the credit card co.'s and banks make enough money that I really don't care to help make them richer!

Comment

I was going to get set up, but decided to wait due to the cost (I had just started and didn't want to spend the money). Well, 3 years later I have been asked all of TWO times if I accepted credit cards. So, I don't think I will be adding that service anytime soon!

Comment

I just thought that since I was getting these offers, it might be worth it, but had one once when I had a basket business and I was real sorry I got roped into one. I just thought it might be worth it when someone cancels on you at the last minute or to run checks. The one I was looking at has telecheck, but my friend that owns a shop says just the telecheck thing is expensive per month in itself.

Comment

iniatially i took either cash or cc, no checks. i had a wireless machine and the fees were mkilling me. in addtion to the reg monthly fee, there was a $20 monthly wireless fee. the percentages were higher if you couldn't swipe because of no service and have to do it manually later. i didn't have enough cc people tp justify the cost. paypal may be a better option. at this piont, since everyone is an established customer, i no longer have a problem accepting checks.
            Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
            "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

I don't take credit cards and have never considered it. In the year I've been mobile only a few people have asked me. Doesn't seem practical for the van IMO. I find people don't mind writing a check for this kind of service or paying cash.
              www.gomobileandsucceed.com
              http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

I've never been asked if I take them.90% of my clients pay with checks

Comment

i have been asked 2 times in 11 months about C.C. I don't take them and probably won't ever.
                  What does a dog do on it's day off?

Comment

I do.

I take Visa, Mastercard and debit cards. The majority of my customers pay this way. They love that they can get airline line miles or whatever from the groomer. It cost me $130US to get it set up. I have a manual imprinter ($30) and keep my machine ($99) at home. I looked into the mobile wireless machines but they want too much $. I use Merchant Warehouse and the rates are very reasonable. 1-800-941-6557

Comment

I go through Cell charge for my CC service. They charge a $10 monthly fee and 3.9% of each transaction. I don't need ANY special equipment if I didn't want it. I do use the old knuckle buster imprint unit to imprint the card information on the form. (Could also be done by rubbing the side of a pen over it) The unit cost me all of $35. To process them, I just call them in at the end of the day. I could do it while I am at their home if I was unsure whether it would be approved or not.
                      I have several monthly clients that have requested I keep their information on file and just process it as needed. They just sign a service agreement with me the first visit and I imprint the card on the initial form. In place of the signature after that first visit, I just write regular service agreement. I get the dog out of the back yard, groom it, put him/her back and leave an invoice on the patio table. I process about 8-10 credit card charges/month. My starting price is $60 and most of my clients are multi pet households so I do make more by being able to keep clients that want to use cards only.

Comment

The knucklebuster, LOL. AKA the manual imprinter. Absolute heck on the bloody frozen knuckles in winter.

That's what I use!

Comment

I do. I have a wireless terminal that I keep in the van. I like it because many of my clients are not home when I groom their dogs, they have given me a key or garage code, etc. I have the card number on file and just charge when I am done. I leave the receipt with a printout from my machine of the total.

Comment

It just seemed so expensive when I started out I just accept check and cash. Most people pay by check. I have had one bounced check the whole time and while they eventually made good, it left a bad taste in my mouth. I contracted with CheckCare to handle those. For a nominal setup fee they'll collect on any bounced checks in the future and reimburse me for the check as well as any fees my bank may charge me (typically $3-$5 for depositing an NSF check, adding insult to injury!). They make their money on the fees they collect from the bouncee. I've never even had call to use them, no one bounces checks. I think most smart people have overdraft protection with all the fees a bounced check can entail and the sneaky way your checks and charges get taken out of your account instantly while they take their sweet time crediting your deposits and making them available!

I don't get asked to take cards very often, and when I do everyone understnads when I tell them it was simply too complicated to set it up for the van, that not everywhere I service gets good cell reception, etc.

BTW, that backfired on me once when the asker turned out to be a credit card rep and hounded me to sign up through him and offerd me all these bargains and deals on his machines. I told him I'd have to raise my prices to cover the fees and he finally shut up about it.

Comment

I do not but my sister does for a non grooming business where most of her customers pay by check.

She uses www.epayops.com

It's set up for the customer to pay themselves but she takes the credit card info from them and enters the info online herself. There is no fee to her and no special machine needed, the processing fee is automatically added to the credit card charge.....like back in the day when it was more expensive to pay for gas with a credit card than with cash! Epayops sends out a check to her pretty much immediately.

Just go to the site and email them that you want to know how they work and they'll send out an informative response with the details.

Comment

Working...
                              X