How Many of Us do Once a Year Dogs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Many of Us do Once a Year Dogs?

And Why? I read Ferret's post about the Newfie, and saw that others were also dreading the once a year dog. If you do the once a year dog, why do you do them, and how do you fit them into your schedule? Is this what your buisness is built on or do you use them as a bonus this time of the year?

It's spring, and the once and 2x a year people are calling. I do them, but I charge them extra for the time,etc. involved. And my regulars get priority, so it's when I have time.

Comment

I do. This is my second yr and am still building clientell. Plus it is kinda rewarding doing those OAY dogs. I love how they act after! (Even those once a year dogs refer u to others)

Comment

Not me, in fact I just got rid of most all my dogs over 40 lbs. I feel so free!

Comment

Being in a rural community, I have them too. But my regulars get in before they do. I work them in when I have time and I charge them accordingly.
          I feel sorry for the poor things and yes, they do feel better and act better when they are done.
          Its funny to see a growly, matted mess when they come in but when they realise what you are doing, they become your best friend. Its kinda rewarding, and feels good to see you are making thier life better, even though you have to give them back to the stupid owners.

Comment

Hard to build a ralationship with OAYs

I stopped doing them early in my second year; just never seemed to work out. That said, I do them at the vet clinic where I work on Thursdays (in my van, parked in the lot). With a few exceptions I'll do anything they book for me there, but for my moible business I am VERY picky.

If, and it's a BIG if, I was going to do it, because, say, I had a cancellation and someone coincidentally called that doesn't get their dog groomed regularly I MIGHT do it (I might also savor a lighter day for a change!), but I prefer to give my regulars priority. And they would pay through the nose! In fact, I won't take on any client who wants to go longer than eight weeks between grooms. I tell them they can book at the vet clinic if they want me to be their groomer, but if they want me to come to their house it has to be 4-8 weeks between grooms.

Comment

I do them. I don't care how often they book, as long as I have openings, I will take their money lol.
              If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Same as Angie. We're in a rural community so all the farm dogs are coming in now. We're taking them, but charging more and fitting them in only if I have time. Certainly not going to inconvenience a regular customer for a OAY dog.

Comment

I consider them bonus dogs. I do my regulars first, and then the OAY's and I charge extra for matted messes (more time)
                  Never gonna know if you never even try

Comment

Sure, I'll do them. Money is money.
                    Heck, I don't even really dread them, anyway.
                    Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Correction...

Originally posted by barknpurr View Post
                      And Why? I read Ferret's post about the Newfie, and saw that others were also dreading the once a year dog. If you do the once a year dog, why do you do them, and how do you fit them into your schedule? Is this what your buisness is built on or do you use them as a bonus this time of the year?
                      I didn't say I groomed a Newfie. I just groomed a Great Pyranese I haven't groomed since Oct. 06'. They just don't groom him from the end of October til now. I've have groomed dogs in much worse condition than he was in. But I have been grooming him every month for 3 years except in the colder months. They are nice people and treat me alright, but there is a language barrier. I'd never attempt another once a year Newfie in my van again.....did that a few years back...won't do that anymore. I'm stupid, not crazy...ha.

But when I get I do get a once a year desperate plea to groom a dog, I ask a lot of questions, and see if I could possibly do it and where I could fit it in the schedule. Mostly, once I give them a "guess-timate" price, some balk, and say...Let me ask my hubby when he gets home. That always translates into a...thats way too much money, and never call back to actually book the appointment. Ha.

Comment

How about a golden doodle?

I did her last July, a total shave down, now they are calling me back, I asked when was she last done? She said when you were here! I am doing this out of sympathy, there is no other mabiles out here, and they don't drive! I may come home with her if they let me! I can't even imagine!

Comment

Not anymore. I did in the beginning, but I only work with regulars now, thankfully.

Comment

Originally posted by ferret View Post
                            I didn't say I groomed a Newfie. I just groomed a Great Pyranese I haven't groomed since Oct. 06'. They just don't groom him from the end of October til now. I've have groomed dogs in much worse condition than he was in. But I have been grooming him every month for 3 years except in the colder months. They are nice people and treat me alright, but there is a language barrier. I'd never attempt another once a year Newfie in my van again.....did that a few years back...won't do that anymore. I'm stupid, not crazy...ha.

But when I get I do get a once a year desperate plea to groom a dog, I ask a lot of questions, and see if I could possibly do it and where I could fit it in the schedule. Mostly, once I give them a "guess-timate" price, some balk, and say...Let me ask my hubby when he gets home. That always translates into a...thats way too much money, and never call back to actually book the appointment. Ha.
                            I had a lady from Poland call me only wanted her GS nails. I said I don't go out for just nails. She insisted the dog can't have a bath in the winter. I was like yes he can. This is how I make a living. My trailer is heated and he will be dry before he goes out. This dog is vicious for nails. She was holding his head and talking polish to him lol. She asked me if I would consider coming back for nails, and I said no sorry, it is a hastle for me to get my trailer backed into your drive way and the neighbors dog runs lose and was jumping on my jeep and trailer and Cujo hates getting his nails done. Not to mention there was no tip for dealing with her monster that crapped all over my table and the owner saw it.
                            If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

I do them, if they can get in!
                              At the clinic all my appointments are first come, first serve. So the regulars have learned by now to make a few appointments in advance. Therefore, I am booked up for the next 8 weeks. OAY's generally don't want to wait that long for an appointment.
                              I did have a cocker last week tho that did. He hadn't been in for about 10 months. While I was shaving him I just got madder and madder at the owner, so the price kept going up. Ended up charging her double the regular price.
                              And he didn't take me any longer to do either. Actually took less time than a cocker in a cocker cut.

At home, I get a few calls for OAY's. Last week had a woman call and I referred her to the other place in town saying I didn't have an opening for another week. She has an old fat 3 legged aussie that can't stand. So, I do the dog while sitting on the floor. Her other dog is an ancient blind overweight corgi mix. Keeps walking off the edge of the table. I'm just too old for that kind of dog! LOL!

Deanne

Comment

Working...
                              X