What would you do? (sorry long)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do? (sorry long)

I took in my van for the regular generator service today. I figured since I was having that done I would get an estimate on a cracked pipe for my recirculator. I did not go to my regular guy because the big chain place is right near my house and they had a specieal on generator service. I never have like this place to be honest, I think they overcharge and it is not very personable like my little place I ususally go to. That place is about 25 minutes away, and it is not always easy to get a ride home and back later. I actually had the big chain place try to find the leak last year when it happened, and they said they thought it was the water heater and changed the anode rod. I payed a nice amount for them to find that out, with their cost being so high to look for the problem. Well that never solved the problem so in the summer I took off the panel in front of the tub, and sure enough it was pipe right under the drain, I found it right away. Back to today, I asked for a quote, knowing if it was to much, I would not get it fixed, I have not used it in so long, I dont really need it, and I am going to Atlanta next week. Well, I got the call that the van was ready and the tech found the problem (duh, I told you exactly what it was) and he fixed it. UGh! I said how much is that gonna cost me. $180 he said. For just the pipe getting fixed? Yes! I said you were supposed to give me a quote, and he said I know but he fixed it. I could give you a discount. I said I can't afford it etc... and he goes, well I guess it will be free. I picked it up, they were closing up, you could tell they were ready to go, had all their cars warming up by the door, coats on... he hands me the keys and paperwork and says you go pay up front. I did not get charged, but I feel kind of bad. I know it is not my fault, but the repair was done. I think I will stick with my little shop that I trust and feel more comfortable with next time.
    What does a dog do on it's day off?

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it...just be happy it's fixed. You asked for a quote not a fix. If you did a full groom on a dog the owners only wanted you to bathe, do you think they would pay for it? Sometimes you gotta stand up for yourself. In the future I would stick with the company I know and trust, it's worth it in the long run besides it makes me feel good to support local businesses. I don't think you did anything wrong and I am proud of you for being brave enough to tell them they didn't do what you asked especially after the guy said they knew you wanted a quote!

Comment

I wouldn't give it a second thought either. There was miscommunication...and it wasn't yours. Besides...those things might only take 10 minutes to fix...but they have their predetermined "billable hour" charge as per corporate,...so I expect it was worth a shot for them to try and charge you...but no surprise to them when you protested paying.

I was in a similar situation w/ my mechanic last year, and it was several hundred dollars. Unfortunately...he is also my next-door neighbor. Gulp. Had to pony up the bucks, but sure learned my lesson on being absolutely, positively crystal clear w/ him as a result.
      Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Well, I guess it doesn’t matter what we think, but what do you think? Obviously, you are troubled by not paying a penny on repairs to your van, as well as you should be. I would go back, with your N/C invoice, and pay the $180.00, or the discount. They used their time, and supplies, plus, you “should be” concerned that someone didn’t get “canned” or have their wages docked for that amount. Yes, yes, there was a miscommunication, but in the end, your van has been repaired to your satisfaction, the down time was minimal, and now you can get on with grooming !!

Now let’s take that example of you doing a full groom on a “just bath” dog. You would think about that mistake the rest of the week, but, if your were paid for your services, your week would be a whole lot better.

It is never too late to do the right thing and you won’t be feeling as bad as you are now!!

Happy Paying the Bill

Dolly’s Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

I don't think you should pay. It sounds like they were trying to take advantage of you especially because they said they KNEW you just wanted a quote. It wasn't a misunderstanding , they just did the work without taking the time to do as you asked and they just assumed you would pay. I would not want someone to get in trouble but this situation wasn't your fault. They clearly knew what you wanted any miscommunication was on their part not yours. And as for the reverse situation, I would feel bad taking money from a client for my mistake...it would not make my week better.

Comment

Any repair shop should give you a quote first. However, you have too look at it from a business side of things. How much would the $180 cost you in business running around while you loose business. I do 98% of my own repairs myself, but in some cases the time I loose spending two days to do the repair, waiting on parts etc costs me more that just paying someone else to do the repair. Its a toss up. I feel your pain, but sometimes its just best to bite the bullet.

Comment

Originally posted by Dolly View Post
              Well, I guess it doesn’t matter what we think, but what do you think? Obviously, you are troubled by not paying a penny on repairs to your van, as well as you should be. I would go back, with your N/C invoice, and pay the $180.00, or the discount. They used their time, and supplies, plus, you “should be” concerned that someone didn’t get “canned” or have their wages docked for that amount. Yes, yes, there was a miscommunication, but in the end, your van has been repaired to your satisfaction, the down time was minimal, and now you can get on with grooming !!

Dolly’s Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

I'm sorry, but I have found at some places it's almost common practice to fix it without telling the person and then try to bill them. It's shady, and if I understand correctly, not even legal if you make sure on their work contract it says quote only. I had someone do that to me and when I told them I had only wanted a quote the man swore up and down at me, got in my face, told me I was just trying to get something for free. Well, no, I thought I had a cracked head gasket and it turned out to be some sensor. I asked for a quote only, it was written on the work order, and I refused to pay the man. I know this man did it on purpose. I was 18 at the time, he probably saw a young girl he could take advantage of. It happened over the summer to this past year. I wanted my A/C checked for a leak. I knew it couldn't just be patched and these people went ahead and patched it and then wanted $180 for the refill and the patch. I went in, told them I would pay the $35 they told me it would cost for the check and nothing else. Their "patch" job lasted all of an hour anyway. There are some really shady repair places out there that WILL try to take advantage of you, fix things even though they KNOW full well they are supposed to only give a quote and then try to stick you with a bill. I think you did the right thing, maybe they'll think twice before they try to pull something on someone else.
              What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

I was thinking about this...hmmmm....what would I do? I wouldn't be happy but I think I would pay. I know me. I would insist on a discount or an amount I thought was fair. I would have had to to get it fixed anyway. That being said, I do think what you did was acceptable. You only asked for an estimate so they were in the wrong and they knew it. Hopefully, the mechanic will learn from this. He shouldn't go ahead and fix something that hasn't been approved by the owner.
                www.gomobileandsucceed.com
                http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

I used to be a receptionist at a shday car repair shop I KNOW how this **** works-
                  they need the money so they will fix things you how no idea on just to seal the deal.And sometimes "forget" to get you on the phone for the quote,then opps i forgot heres the bill.I have even seen charges on an invoice for things I know werent dont like a radiator flush the car is right in front of me and the radiator was never pulled so the flush was never done that day I quit .I refused to bill it on the invoice to that old lady and there was a big stinnk about it.all they wanted was the numbers up.bottom line ....this is common practice I wouldnt pay for a job when all you wanted was a quote.

Comment

Working...
                  X