For people who are USED to the snow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For people who are USED to the snow

How much snow do you need before you decide to cancel? We're only getting 6 inches today and I don't know if I should cancel tonight or not? I'm going grocery shopping in a bit so I can get a better feel for the roads, but by tonight they should be okay I would think. We've had so little snow the plows are probably out in force using up all the salt since they haven't had to use hardly any at all. IDK, since driving in the snow doesn't bother me, it's hard for me to judge. I think the grooming van handles pretty well in the snow, and there isn't any ice, and it's falling pretty quickly but it is a light fluffy snow. I've got 4 brand new tires on there and I just moved it around since it was parked behind my mini van and driving it up and down the street it was fine. My husband told me I should cancel, but to me 6 inches just isn't that much, especially over an entire day when plows are out keeping up with it probably, and I had 3 days off last week and took Sunday off this week. Then Monday was the groom for the rescue poodle so I didn't charge for anything but shaving her cats patootie. Don't want to be crazy and go out when I shouldn't. So how do you all decide when to work and when not to work in the snow?
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

I hate driving in the snow so it doesnt take a lot for me to cancel. Luckily, everytime we have had a huge snow storm and I had client to groom my fiance had the day off. He used to be a tow truck driver so driving in the snow doesn't faze him and a foot of snow doesn't stop us! An ice storm is a different story. So I think if you are comfortable enough give it a try and just take it slow.

Comment

here in the UP if the snow is higher than waist high (or slightly below) it is time to cancel. They are tough up here-me not so much

Comment

I don't mind driving in snow either, so I'd keep the app'ts. You can always cancel if the conditions suddenly change.
        "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go." ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

At this point, the snow could be 10 feet high and I would still plan on going. I adore my kids, but on days like today I just need a break from the whining and the "he pinched me", "she hurt me", "that's mine!" etc etc. Add the pain of my teeth on top of that and I need to get away and get distracted. Heck, I might just need a drink! And I NEVER drink LOL. Just thinking it might numb my mouth actually, you know the whole baby teething, rub whisky on the gums old fashioned technique kinda thing.

Comment

I'm Totally with you this

LMAO. I couldn't agree with you more. I will take the kids to their after school sitter and pay her to watch them all day before I cancel. Two six year olds and a Five year old all day wears me out. I would rahter wrestle big hairy's all day. Not that I don't love my kids, but a few weeks back they were out of school for 5 days and I didn't have enough appointments to warrant sending to the sitters. At the end of the day I had to have a glass of wild turkey to mellow me out.

Comment

Originally posted by celebpet View Post
              LMAO. I couldn't agree with you more. I will take the kids to their after school sitter and pay her to watch them all day before I cancel. Two six year olds and a Five year old all day wears me out. I would rahter wrestle big hairy's all day. Not that I don't love my kids, but a few weeks back they were out of school for 5 days and I didn't have enough appointments to warrant sending to the sitters. At the end of the day I had to have a glass of wild turkey to mellow me out.
              LOL, my daughter is 6 and my son is 3. He just got over the croup and a week before that my daughter had strep and an ear infection. I pretty much have gone two weeks without any sleep. Then add to that the fact that my daughter is home from school on winter break this week, I'm sick, my teeth hurt, and last night I made the mistake of taking a hydrocodone that wired me to the point I could have run laps around the block til 4am, does not make for one happy mom. The only time I am not with my kids is when I work at night or on Sunday as I am home with them all day (well, when my daughter is not in school). When hubby gets home all he wants to do is relax and unwind because for once his job IS harder than mine! And as soon as I walk through that door I am just pounced on by two little ones wanting my attention. Could't even get my coat off before they were both asking me for something (Sigh). It was just one of the very rare nights where I just wanted a break from everything for a few hours. I sat down and talked with my daughter about how grumpy mom was today, explained the reasons why, mostly the lack of sleep of the tooth pain, and tried to make sure she knew it had nothing to do with her. This was the first night ever I wasn't racing to get home, so I know I need to find some time to take a little break, cuz that's not a good sign.

Comment

Mom of two here: Mlady, there's no job harder than being with kids all day long...none : ) You sound overtired... but also, remember moms need a break on a regular basis. I remember once listening to James Dobson (the child pyschiatrist and well known christian author etc). he even said, when you are married have a date night twice a week - but also moms need mom alone time, at least once a week preferably more. Soooo we must find ways to give ourselves permission for this time off. Sometimes we think how can this be done? and ..it can't always..but we need to make the time as much as possible. We dont stop being people with needs, just b/c we are parents so maybe start arranging for time with your hubby once a week on the weekend or whatever or even weeknight where, tired or not..he needs to let you go do your thing and not call in to check on them jmho

ps... i personally wouldnt cancel over 6 stinkin inches LOL. If I can walk safely to the door of a home... then I'm on the job man! Or ..meeting them in some parking lot somewhere.

Comment

i don't work in the snow. have already done the slidy thing all over the rounds when i was first up. 8 years later, i see a snowflake i go home.
                  Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
                  "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

Working...
                  X