catching the dog, leashing up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• catching the dog, leashing up

I find that one thing I get frustrated with or tired of is when you arrive to your client, that first 5 minutes can be such a drag just getting the dog on the leash, getting them out of mom's arms, or chasing them down before they run up the stairs and under the bed before me or their owner can't even catch them. Or, client is calling them and making matters worse by creating more anxiety for their dog. you know what I mean?

I arrive to get Fluffy and Fifi, Fluffy runs because she hates to be groomed, Fifi is super excited happy to see me and super great for her grooming. But Fluffy has made her way under the bed and shaking, mom is saying awwwwe Fluffy, what's the matter???? Miss Crystal Loves you, you don't wanna be groomed today? You don't want to get pretty and smell pretty????? Get new bows???? huh???

Can't this owner realize, Fluffy will never willingly come up to me so I can put her leash on or carry her out without her putting up a huge fight. Why must we go through this every time??? I would just like to ring the doorbell, mom get the leash and put on fluffy, then answer the door as I have suggested before. instead they open the door, and say Ohhhhhh!!!! look who's here for you fluffy, and that's when she tears off to the bedroom.

And as I patiently wait as I always do for Fluffy to get over her temper tantrum, and Mom to finally see through it and just pulling her out from under the bed. All the while, I'm thinking to myself, Fluffy hates me, hates brushes, hates water, hates nail clippers, she hates having to listen to anyone and has no respect for her owner either. And this has been the norm for this client even before having me as a groomer, this has been what the previous groomer had to deal with I'm sure.

We achieve the grooming, no one gets hurt, I'm sweet to her no matter how much she doesn't like me or grooming. She just doesn't like groomers in general, so I take no offense. But when I see this little dog every 5 or 6 weeks, this routine can get quite monotonous. You can only make so many suggestions to clients, but many don't listen or choose to help the matter by making changes to their approach to their dog. And of course I believe this is because many see their dog as their child and not the obvious fact that they are a dog.

This can be a chunk out of your day if your schedule is full of the bratty dogs, and most of the dogs I groom are usually like this. Many are scared, neurotic, mentally unstable and unhealthy dogs who have fear, some aggression, or just plain old bratty untrained dogs who never walked on a leash unless they were going to the vet. I think this is becoming the norm for most pet owners, and with mobile I think it's harder to "pluck" that little dog away from their owner without lots of effort every single grooming without it appearing as if your pulling teeth.

I don't remember the two years working in shops having such dramatic responses from the dogs, some would have to be dragged in by their owners, but not many. And once the owner was gone it was usually ok. But I find that mobile, this can be such an issue at times.

How, oh HOW do we deal???

If I know a dog has a problem with running and hiding or not wanting to be caught...I call mom when I'm almost there and let her know I'm right around the corner so she can get him leashed up before he knows I'm there. It works well for me.

Comment

It's hard enough for me trying to pry dogs out of owners arms in a 6x10' entry of our shop much less a whole house. I feel for you. I'm not sure why owners feel like they have to make us groomers out to be the bad guy, 'Oh look at Fe Fe shaking, she's hates coming here' as she clutches her to her chest. Some people will bring dogs in and then reach down and unleash them and look at me and say 'OK, Fe Fe, have fun' as to walk away and the dog is hiding in the corner behind the chair. I for one refuse to look like an idiot as I chase a dog around a little room and just stand there until they realize what they've done and they have to catch the dog and hand them to me.

Maybe when this happens to you, you could say, 'Well I'll be out in the van catching up on a few calls until you bring Fe Fe out, and then go out and put your feet up until she gets there' If you're charging by the hour I'm sure she'll have the dog ready next time.

Comment

I don't have to deal with dogs in clients house, thanks God, but I have plenty of new lients who let their dogs run loose, take the leash off as soon as they walk in the door, or let the leased dog run circles around owner in attempt to escape. It is super frustrating to me.
        I hand them the leash and ask them to catch the dog for me and step back. My excuse is taht I don't want to scared the dog by chasing it.

Comment

Oh yes, I know that dance well. I do a Bichon and Boston that always run up the stairs as soon as I get there. The last time, she grabbed Buddy and asked me, in a joking manner, "what, do you beat these dogs or something?" to which I used the stand by reponse of "No, that costs extra and no one wants to pay for it for some reason". She laughed and handed him over.
          The funny thing is, the dogs that never want to come see me are never a problem once there are in the van. They stand like statues and are wonderful. Even Buddy, who had been bounced around from one groomer to another because he, apparently, was a biter. He had never tried to bite me until a few months ago, I went to work on his face and put my hand on his muzzle and he did try to nip a bit. Told mom something may be wrong with his mouth ad sure enough, he had an abcess tooth. So I don't count that as a real bite attempt.
          I only have one biter in the mobile, a 10 year old toothless Chihuahua. I have ONE that really fights grooming for her face, a Shih Tzu. Other than that the dogs behave so well in there and so much better than they ever did in the salon. I think the quiet really helps and not having strange dogs for them to see or hear. I have several that doze off while I'm grooming them.
          The getting the pets away from mom dance can tend to take a while. Depending on the owner it can really add time to your day. I wish I had some better "dance steps" to share, but I don't. I just smile and wait until I'm handed the pet. Of course, a hiding cat is the worst! Even when I tell owners, have them crated and waiting for me.....
          What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxerfan View Post
            It's hard enough for me trying to pry dogs out of owners arms in a 6x10' entry of our shop much less a whole house. I feel for you. ...If you're charging by the hour I'm sure she'll have the dog ready next time.
            This is exactly what I do too. The owners bring the dogs out to me. I do NOT chase dogs.

Comment

That Never Happens to Me

I'm too impatient. I just step over to Mom, take the leash out of her hands, and get the dog. Then they always so impressed when I get the dog. For dogs like these you should carry a stiff blue plastic leash ( you know, the ones they give you at the vet) and just be ready. I also hate those stupid retractable leashes! ARGHHH! I always carry my own just for this reason.

Comment

I am going to just make a new policy, to get the dog leashed before I ring the doorbell or knock. Lady, I know what you mean about how once they are out there in the van with you they are good. most dogs really are. they may not want to be groomed, but once you finally get them out of the house and on their leash or mine and on their way to the van then they will just go along with the flow. But those 5-10 minutes of a circus show is irritating. I just don't want to seem like a total biotch to my client and make a bunch of rules for them to follow just to be my client. I love all the dogs I groom, and want them to know it. i don't want my agitation with this part of the service be known by the client.

i think the best thing is I will tell those clients that it's better for the dog not to build up all the anxiety so to get them on their leash before I enter is better for the dog, which I think it is and maybe that will help the dog more.

Thanks for the input, it helps.

Comment

Working...
                X