My Next door Neighbor Wanted To Know My Rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Next door Neighbor Wanted To Know My Rates

I don't groom Diesel, the neighbor Shih-Tzu next door because just in case, we want always to have a good relationship. Her adult daughter was paying a ridiculous low price for this short haired dog. I have never seen him long or matted. They had two, but the older one died. The shop they go to raised the price $7, and the college age daughter thought it was too high. I told her my rates even next door the gen costs me money to run. She was shocked. At the new price the survey shows the price of that shop is a bargain IF they are kind to the dog and do a good job. The dog doesn't even bark at me. I think he must be a nice dog to groom. I guess people just think grooming is easy, and not worth what we charge. We live in a very nice neighborhood, how did she think I we manage to live here? This is not my hobby. LOL When I told her about the $25 tip(two small dogs w/trims) that tip was almost as much she had paid for her last full groom. Psssst, bet they never tipped their groomer.

I'm not mobile, but my shop does charge a bit more than usual. I get this all the time! Usually all it takes is one try though. MOST (not all, but most) places that charge that give you exactly what you pay for. I had a customer with 3 dogs recently change wholeheartedly after I showed her the dewclaws I cut off her dogs. All 3 had hind dewclaws that had grown into the pad. She gets them done every 2 WEEKS. (there was more, but I don't want to bash.) Most people, after using you, realize that they are getting more for their money. (well, I don't know your grooming personally, but I would guess by your posting. LOL.)
    There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

Hi

I do not accept any neighbors as new clients. It is uncomfortable if it doesn't work out. They usually think that the should get a big discount and they know when you have a day off.

Comment

That is exactly why "same street" neighbors I do not groom

if something went wrong it would forever be uncomfortable. I have done a few streets over and a Lab several blocks away. Next door would be bad if it didn't work out. They are very very nice neighbors. They just have no idea what it takes to be a good groomer. And yes, I always check for any dew claws.

Comment

Originally posted by mijothewonderdog View Post
          I do not accept any neighbors as new clients. It is uncomfortable if it doesn't work out. They usually think that the should get a big discount and they know when you have a day off.
          My house is in a dog friendly area with each house having roughly 3 dogs each. As tempting as it is to let them know I'm a groomer, I feel the same way. I'd rather neighbors NOT know what I do for a living. Neighbors at the old house took advantage of the situation knowing I was a groomer.
          ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
          Apparently common sense isn't all that common
          *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Comment

Yes I have let one street neighbor come to me, boy was that a mistake because it happened on a Sunday & dirt cheap. So 6mo later she asked for it again, I didn't give in on a Sunday again. She hasn't emailed back. Now I do do a few others here in my van at home (plug in charger but use my interter batteries) & they have all treated me nice. I do 2 doxies & a very large JRT (atleast 16 inches, 20lbs).

Our very close neighbor, we are very good friends with, help each other with cars etc. I will do their Chi mix for free, takes about 15mins. They don't like to take advantage so they don't have it done much.

Shannon
            The Soapy Puppy
            Last edited by Starshan; 02-05-10, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Guess I've just been really lucky.
              I've groomed my neighbors dogs, until they died (5 yrs). No problem with her at all, of course she has moved away and now I have a grumpy old man and wife living next door to me and they don't own (probably don't even like) dogs.
              I groom my neighbors dog who lives behind me, no problem (1 yr) and they are in my church.

Forgot to say, I'm not mobile, work out of my house.
              Last edited by Pixie; 02-07-10, 05:09 PM.
              "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
              Diane

Comment

Originally posted by mijothewonderdog View Post
                I wish someone had told me the "dangers" of grooming neighbors dogs. My neighbors have been very difficult to train. They see no problem with knocking on my door on a Sunday morning, running to my driveway to book an appointment when I'm trying to take a short lunch break (or run to the bathroom, lol), and want appointments right away. The problems are made worse because of a language barrier.
                don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

Most Mobile groomers

get more for a tip,or to do just nails in a shop. then she pays for a full groom, com'on I think someone is telling tales out of the grooming shop, ask for the name of the shop her daughter goes to and give them a call to get a price for that type of dog.

Comment

I have had two neighbors call me over the years and neither one of them booked their dogs with me. Another lady with the cocker lives down the road, she asked for a card a few years back but never called.

The shop nearby here isn't cheap either so I don't know where they are taking their pets to if I was too high.

However at the end of the day it still costs money to run the generator.

Comment

I am mobile but have a few clients that come to my house. Some have started with me from the beginning. I let some of the neigbours come to my house because I don't park my van at home, it is much easier to have them come on Sat or sometime in the afternoon or on my day off. I charge them the same fee as other home salon clients, some are higher. Some became my regular clients and some didn't come back but I am fine with them. Now my mobile biz has picked up, I'd rather keep a few of this people until I can no longer have time to do them.

Comment

I groom a lot of neighbors dogs. I like to do this, as the more neighbors I do business with the less likely they will complain about my van in our driveway. I actually like doing neighbor dogs because I don't feel like I am really working if I just groom them in my own driveway. I haven't had any problems, but I live around reasonable people.

Comment

I don't understand what the fuss about grooming neighbor's dogs is about. Business is business. We can't groom in our own driveway, zoning laws prohibit it. If we go to the neighbor's driveway, the generator costs as much to run as if we went across town.

If my neighbor is one of my vendors, like my accountant or my mechanic, I give them a discount for professional courtesy. They do likewise. But wanting a discount because you merely LIVE next door or down the street from me by some happy accident, that is one want that I don't have to fill. When I'm not working, I can be a good neighbor. When I'm working, I'm making my living. Where would you draw the line? One block away? Same neighborhood? Same town?

I live on three acres and it's not like I can SEE my next door neighbors from my house. If any of my neighbors were to ask for a discount, I would respectfully decline them. If they took offense, that's THEIR problem, not mine.
                          "With God's help, all things are possible!"
                          Laura Lee Ray
                          I am kats_melody on eGroomer. Follow my Twitter tweets - @ZOOMGROOM on Twitter.com

Comment

I groom three pets in my little nook. No discounts either and when It comes to appointment availability they know I have days off and I just tell them what slots I have available. Discounts cause trouble

Comment

Working...
                            X