I'd Like Your Opinion On This Please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd Like Your Opinion On This Please.

For a while now I do a trade with my hair stylist. She has two Yorkies. Mom and baby girl Ruby. Mom is good tho she barks at me a lot and Baby Ruby is not. I charge more for my full grooms than My stylist charges for a hair cut. That is ok, until I want to buy products. I pay extra for those. She says she gets them wholesale for us and does not charge a profit, just what she pays for them. I spent $75 on big bottles of shampoo and conditioner and two hair lifter and such yesterday.( I will say those will last me a year!) I thought since she charges about $20 less than I do, I'd get the difference in product plus pay for the extra amnt. She said, no we just trade time for time. I must say, when she highlights my hair, she charges about $5 under my two Yorkie grooms total. Do you think this is a fair trade? Originally I thought dog grooms for hair cuts. I didn't consider I'd be buying hair products too. I also expected to pay the difference from a groom for her, to a coloring. When she colors, she does the whole thing with a complete style. All this is done in her in home salon. Her prices are close to or the same as many shops. I have another friend who also does hair at her home and charges half as much. However I prefer the doggie trade. My other friend has two big dogs and one Lhasa mix I have never groomed; they just do it themselves and one would scare the *** outta me. They never trim the Lhasa terrier mix. It doesn't get longer or matted. Trade probably isn't an option and I prefer the stylist I have anyway. Does this make sense? Do you think I should be paying for the hair products even tho my grooms cost $20 more than her cuts? Is it a fair trade? S.R. loves her job and has lots of clients. She fits me in, inbetween her others and I do have to stay several hrs for my style/color etc. I groom her dogs from beginning to end faster. I will say, she lives about three miles away and her dogs don't take long.

She is clear thatyou are trading service for equal service. I would expect her to pay you the $20 difference, then you can put the cash towards your product! That's how equal service for equal service works. I trade with my hauir dresser too.

Comment

Honestly, I think the arrangement to swap/ barter your professional work (with hers) is equal. I don't see how or why it would include any hair products. If she wanted to give you a discount that would be her decision, but not part of the "swap." Would you give her dog products?

That is the only "down side" to swapping for hair styling; it always takes them less time than it does for the grooming. It is up to you if this swap is worthwhile. The dogs are easy and you like her work, sounds good to me! The other hair stylist has dogs you wouldn't want to do and her work isn't what you'd like, so why would you even consider offering a swap with her?

I have a newer client that is a stylist when she first came to me I offered to swap and she wasn't interested. Just recently we did begin to swap. She has a sweet little schnauzer and I wear my hair in a shorter style, so the time is pretty equal. As an added bonus her hubby is a massage therapist, my first swap was actually with him...what a treat! I was looking for a someone new to cut my hair anyway so this was ideal, plus I like her work. I have always been hesitant to swap with a hair stylist...what happens if you do not like the cut? How do you get out of the swap and not lose a client? It could make for an uncomfortable situation.

good luck with you decision,
      sittingpretty

Comment

To me it sounds fare to trade time for time instead of price value for price value. After all you two probably have different overhead and such.

Comment

I used to trade hair care for doggy hair care, and my ladies dog died. I always felt like I was getting the short end of the stick because her dog came in every 3 weeks, and I was only getting my hair done every 4 weeks or so, plus coloring every 3 months or so. I don't know if I really was getting the short end, just felt like it...soooo, I won't exchange on that anymore with my new lady who is also a client...no hard feelings then.

Comment

I would recommend you each start paying each for your time. If you are feeling taken advantage of, then you may be better served by ending the bartering. It sounds like she is getting the better end of the bargain. Since product purchases were not in the original agreement, I can understand her not including it now, even though it seems unfair. If you wish to continue with the bartering, buy your product from someone else.
            "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go." ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Trading “tick for tack” is NEVER FAIR, someone always gets less, someone always gets more. Stop trading, pay for your haircuts and charge her for her dog grooms. That way there is never “hurt feelings” and everything is above board, especially with the tax man.

Happy Getting out your Wallet

Dolly’s Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Sounds like

Hmmm, sounds like you are rethinking this whole trade thing, as it is not what you were expecting.

Simple solution is to stop trading - just say you don't think it is working for you and you need the money now. That way you can make a REAL appointment for your hair, be there a shorter time, and pay less.

Your "friend" is just working it so she comes out ahead and is not really doing an even trade, I think. However, since you prefer her as a stylist, just tell her you need the money and keep things cool.

Comment

The trade started

when she lost her other groomer who moved too far away. She asked me if I wanted to trade.I had actually gone to someone else a few times and liked her work until the last trim when she had a sinus headache and messed it up. I didn't even know about the puppy she decided to keep. It works out ok as long as I don't buy products from her. She is always so busy she has one sitting with color while doing me or someone else. I have no idea if she pays taxes, I do with an EIN # and everything legal. The good part is, they are just little Yorkies and are never matted. Now she is putting a T-shirt on Ruby, the puppy because she refuses to go out if she is cold. That T or sweater could pose a matting problem, and ruby has attitude already. So, if I want product, I know my friend, I see most every week could get me products and I know she would never make a profit on them. I think she could and should, she just chooses not to. She does hair for fun and extra cash. Her husband makes a very good salary. My stylists' husband is an Opthomologist. They have a bigger more expensive house and more kids. Neither is supppose to have home shops here according to the state. Each are very secretive about who they accept as clients. I suspect Uncle Sam doesn't know. I did have my friend C. do my hair a few times but she doesn't use a razor, and I prefer S. cuts. No hard feelings. I guess when I get2- 3 colors in my highlights, it is fair. I would never barter with other businesses. Gray? Only my hairdresser knows for sure.

Comment

The way I look at it she could be charging you a retail price on the product. Shampoo is really expensive. Last time I bought shampoo and conditioner it was almost $60 and that was for a normal size bottle..maybe 16 oz. of shampoo plus some super conditioner. If she's not marking up the product I think your getting at least a $20 credit. Does that make any sense to you??? I think what I'm gettin at is your retail price at another salon on the products your buying would cost you at least another $20 so in the end it's a fair deal..

Comment

Gonegrooming

You're right. I didn't think of that. We groomers pay the same as non groomers for pet supplies, but hairstylists are the ONLY ones allowed in the wholesale human hair stylists supply shops. They are already discounted. DUH. They are huge bottles of shampoo and conditioner, and will last me a loooong time. So, I'm satisfied now. thanks. I do wonder why Ryans etc sells to the public for the same price unless you buy 3 gallons of shampoo or multiples. I know we aren't licensed but we are a business. Anyone can go to Ryans and pay the same exact price for dog supplies .Doesn't seem quite fair.

Comment

Originally posted by Dolly View Post

Happy Getting out your Wallet

Dolly’s Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com
                        Now that's funny!

Comment

Originally posted by Jenneversage64 View Post
                          You're right. I didn't think of that. We groomers pay the same as non groomers for pet supplies, but hairstylists are the ONLY ones allowed in the wholesale human hair stylists supply shops. They are already discounted. DUH. They are huge bottles of shampoo and conditioner, and will last me a loooong time. So, I'm satisfied now. thanks. I do wonder why Ryans etc sells to the public for the same price unless you buy 3 gallons of shampoo or multiples. I know we aren't licensed but we are a business. Anyone can go to Ryans and pay the same exact price for dog supplies .Doesn't seem quite fair.
                          There are lots of companies that require your ein# before they will sell to you for wholesale price. Les Pooches, E-Z groom, Davis, Angel Eyes, the place that sells buddy biscuits, and IOD. I can't think of anymore right now, but there are at least some companies.

Comment

This is why I don't trade. My customers pay for their services & I pay for mine. No hurt feelings, and no misunderstandings.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenneversage64 View Post
                              She fits me in, inbetween her others and I do have to stay several hrs for my style/color etc. I groom her dogs from beginning to end faster. I will say, she lives about three miles away and her dogs don't take long.
                              >>>>

I don't do trade. I've learned that peop[le have a hard time understanding my profession, and think the grooming is much less trouble than it is. Plus, they tend to take liberties with my time and expect me to squeeze the dog in whenever, so I keep it on a cash and carry basis.

Comment

Working...
                              X