Any ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas

Hi, We have a client, a Portuguese Water Dog who is probably around 1 year. We have groomed him 4 times and he was groomed by someone else before us. He is very aggressive in the grooming van. I now cut him first, then bathe as his mood gets continually elevated and aggressive throughout the groom. This ends up being a 2-2.5 hour groom which is not ideal financially. I have basically told the owners that they might try a different groomer to see if does better with someone else. I would like to know however if there is any way to make the groom a better experience for the dog, my partner and me. We give him treats. He is adorable and sweet when he wants to be but then goes psycho at any given moment. He is very intimidating vocally and is mouthy. I think that if he wasn't muzzled I would surely have been bitten. Any hope for this dog's grooming future? The owner did training but doesn't anymore. They admitted once to him being aggressive when they would try to put on his gentle lead. Today the owner said that he doesn't have any other aggression issues. Any knowledge would be helpful.
    Thanks.

it sounds like he may be "cage " aggressive perhaps? van being small? have you tried him on the patio or pourch?

Comment

I don't do sedated dogs, but this might be one of cases. However when I was in grooming school there was this lady who had an agressive, crazy Labradoodle dog that would go loopy in the grooming shop. She refused to have him sedated so she asked her vet if there was some way to calm him. The vet told her to give him Benedryl. I would check with the vet on how much, but it is so much per pound of the weight and then he told her to go so much more. Easiest groom I had all week. He just stood, I could only imagine what he was thinking I'm sure it was something like......look at all the pretty colors. lol.

Comment

IDK, but that is strange to me. I have done TONS of Porties. I worked for a vet who bred them and there was also another local breeder, so I mean TONS of them and have never encountered an agressive one. A bit hyper, yes, but never aggressive. That just seems so odd to me for a Portie. I hope others have some suggestions. Maybe a DTAP diffuser (I think that's what it's called) can help a bit.
        What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

All of the Portuguese Water Dogs that I have ever groomed (all two) have been aggressive. They both had to have their owners present and had to be muzzled. I just prematurely assumed that they were all a bit aggressive. It is probably a poor breeder in my area. Growing up I had bad experiences with aggressive Standard Poodles and since becoming a groomer I haven't met one. It was just a bad breeder in my county that didn't breed for disposition, among a lot of other things.

Comment

This sounds strange to me too. Is he just very scared? If this dog is truly agressive it sounds like an accident waiting to happen, and I wouldn't want to deal with it. It sounds like there are leadership issues going on in the house and the dog is unstable. If the owners aren't willing to do regular training and activities to keep this pup in line, then you working with him once a month or however often really isn't going to do much. I realize they say he only has issues in the van, but chances are there is something more going on but he doesn't show it as much in other situations

Comment

I don't know what to say except he sounds like an unser socialized, overly spoiled boy who has his owners wrapped around his "little toe", so he thinks all humans will bow to him the same. I wouldn't put myself in a situation with him again, and suggest the owners "Retrain" him, and find something for him to do. If he ties to tell his owners off when they try to put his "stuff" on I would bet that he has them "caught" and needs to be put in his place. I know it sounds "harsh" to some people, but you have to (I mean owners, not "real" dog peeps) he needs to be reminded "what is what"

.....In my opinion..... I am intitled to it, although I konw someone else will have their own (as they are also intitled too)
              If you sweat the small stuff, all you have is small soggy stuff.....

Comment

I skip the crazies all together.

I'd send them to a learn to groom your own dog class. THey let this guy get away with crazy too long, let them do his hair.

Comment

I would never do an 'aggressive dog' in an enclosed space like a van, period. Just too close to my face. Definitely suggest they try taking the dog elsewhere and see how it does. Have you tried a Happy Hoodie by the way to calm him?

Comment

Originally posted by k9cosmetologist View Post
                    I skip the crazies all together.

I'd send them to a learn to groom your own dog class. THey let this guy get away with crazy too long, let them do his hair.
                    I agree. If the owner isn't "top dog" then you're likely to have an ongoing problem. I give them a couple tries, but if the dog isn't cooperative and the owner shows no sign of "helping" by brushing, training, whatever.... then I call it quits. Why should I struggle with the dog for a lazy owner.
                    A Light exists in Spring, Not present on the Year, At any other period -- When March is scarcely here...~~ Emily Dickensen~~

Comment

Risky

This sounds like a HIGHLY risky dog to me. I would not take the owner's word for it that the dog has no other aggression issues. This is highly unlikely considering his behavior. It could be more like the owner AVOIDS all the unpleasant aggression/dominance issues! This dog does NOT respect humans.

Anyway, the dog's behavior escalates throughout the groom - very bad predictor for you. Also, you have tried treats, so this is not a fear issue, it's a dominance issue. This is bad BAD news. My advice is to consider yourself lucky until now and drop this dog from your client list. A dominant dog that is fed treats considers himself very superior to you and has no problem biting to get his own way, or even just when he's feeling a bit miffed, so if you are thinking of doing him again, ask yourself how long you can afford to be out of work if he bites you badly.

Comment

Sounds like one of those "I Am The Master of The Universe" types of dogs that feel the need to put us mere Humanoids into their proper place.

Mr. Universe may rule his own household with an iron paw but when he is handed over to me to groom he gets securely muzzled, cinched up tightly in a GH and groomed. If Mr. Universe doesn't like it, tough toenails. I don't treat such dogs harshly, but neither do I let the monkeys run the zoo.

We have several Mr. Universe sorts that come in on a regular basis. The owners muzzle them in the waiting room and then split the scene until we call to come get the dog. No fancy haircuts on these dudes, either.

I always say grooming dogs like that reminds me of the words in the theme song from the old "Rawhide" TV show - "Don't try to understand 'em; just rope and throw and brand 'em".

Comment

I don't think they are all like this but the dentist my mom works with has one and he said no one can groom him. He was taking it to a place where it took 2 groomers to do the one dog and he stopped taking it there b/c it looked bad. I groom 2 here in NC and they are practically perfect for me for everything but the girl likes to try to sit. Big woop right? They really are great, sweet dogs. When i come to the door , the oldest boy goes and gets his huge stuffed bird in his mouth and comes to me and turns upside down for a belly rub. This owner has trained them herself and its impressive. I hope you can figure something out. If you think it could be noises of the (for ex) clipper or clipper vac, or the generator, maybe use dry cotton in their ears thru out the groom and maybe a happy hoodie. Good luck!

Comment

Well, it really was bothering me that I had no real advice for you so I spoke to a top portie breeder and got her take on things. Her advice, sounds like he is more the traditional "true working" Portie and they are known for having no respect. especially if you try to talk sweetly to them. She said with those you HAVE to be extremely firm because if you give them an inch, the will walk all over you. They have to know you are in charge in so uncertain terms and usually after that, she said they're fine.
                            Doesn't mean that you should continue to groom this dog if you feel you are at risk. This was just the advice she gave me when I told her about the situation. I have groomed dogs where as soon as you talk to them in any kind of "nice way" (and I mean not using the deep firm tone, but just sometimes a regular tone or heaven forbid, throw in a "good boy") they get aggressive, but as long as I stayed firm and let them know I was not intimidated and I was in charge, they were fine. Doesn't mean some of them didn't keep muzzles on, and it hasn't been many.
                            Just thought I'd pass it along.
                            What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Thank you for all of your input.

I do feel that it is a dominance issue. We do put cotton in his ears and wrap his head to prevent noise. I have a few other aggressive dogs that we do on a regular basis, one that is sedated. This dog is larger and maybe being more vocal and requiring more of a haircut is making the groom nearly intolerable for me and him. We do other PWD's who are very well behaved. I am going to suggest that the dog needs more training. I appreciate all of your responses. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X