You Charge THAT Much?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Charge THAT Much?!

I got 3 of these calls today. When I was a new groomer, I used to try to talk up my services, ect. now, I just say, "yup. Mobile Grooming is a specialty sevice and not for everyone, so I understand your sticker shock." (sticker shock borrowed from Azoci) It's just amazes me people think we're going to be cheap. Hang in there new mobilers. Just confidently quote your prices and people willing to pay for quality service will pay and tip quite nicely.

I have a question about pricing-

ok 'I" know moble is more .But Why is that? I was thinking about maybe one day having a mobile van once im actually a good groomer LOL. (Im new ) I was thinking overhead wouldnt be as high, but you cant da as many in a day right? how does it all work out to be profitable?

Comment

Yes, mobile is more expensive

I, myself don't and can't comfortably groom more than four a day. Five is pushing it. I was better when I was younger of course. If each dog is a single dog then you can spend thirty minutes traveling from dog to dog where in a shop that same time could be used bathing another dog. There are only so many hours in a day. I a shop the dogs are all lined up ready for the next step. For Mobile, the dog is groomed from beginning to end in about an hour. In a shop perhaps they are being roughed out, bathed, nails etc and then back in the cage til after lunch when the finishing starts. Mobile is a personalized service and just done differently. Many have big payments, insurance, gas etc. It can cost twice as much at $55,000.00 + for that new converted Ford E 350. to get on the road and start grooming. I have a used rig, but it was still expensive. The mileage was good and it was kept up well. I am buying that" like new "generator around Valentines day. I don't know why people think it costs so little to be mobile, it doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabearwith2 View Post
        I got 3 of these calls today. When I was a new groomer, I used to try to talk up my services, ect. now, I just say, "yup. Mobile Grooming is a specialty sevice and not for everyone, so I understand your sticker shock." (sticker shock borrowed from Azoci) It's just amazes me people think we're going to be cheap. Hang in there new mobilers. Just confidently quote your prices and people willing to pay for quality service will pay and tip quite nicely.
        "For a shavedown?!!!"

YES for a shavedown and a 5 lb yorkie!!

Comment

Shops allow for more dogs to be finished in a day (you are bathing while a few are drying, etc). In a shop if a dogs fidgets and gets jumpy you can put them away and move on to the next. In a shop you stand still and they come to you.

In mobile- you groom each dog straight through, you can't "assembly line" like you can in a shop. Plus, you have the driving time.

In a shop generally all dogs come in close together and leave close together.

In Mobile, you are constantly stopping in between each and every dog.

In a shop, I can easily do 10 dogs a day
          In Mobile, I can do about 7 a day

If I need to make $1000 per week- in a shop I can do more dogs therefore charge less for each dog. In a Mobile I still have to make that $1000 but have the ability to do fewer dogs therefore I must charge more.

Comment

Originally posted by rach58 View Post
            "For a shavedown?!!!"

YES for a shavedown and a 5 lb yorkie!!
            Yes. For some reason, they think the smaller the dog the cheaper the price. I just tell 'em it's more intricate work, so same price.

Comment

This may be a dumb question

But I have to ask it,what are the pros and cons of mobile vs shop. that 55,00.00 van is certainly a sweet ride but that must be a big check to write for the finance company every month too.

I set out to groom becasue A) I love dogs B) have worked daycare centers(for dogs) for the last 10 years and know a lot about grooming C) I would rather be my own boss and set my own hours doing something that makes me happy.

I was thinking I could do small dogs from my house. Then I started thinking ,I know some dogs I would rather not have in my house,that is when I got the great idea of mobile .But I dont want to be tied to a builind 8-10 hours a day every day either.so what were the deciding factors that led you all into mobile?

Comment

I have gotten quite a few calls lately that got "sticker shock". "I thought mobile would be cheaper". One lady called with 4 cockers, 1 golden and 3 cats. She was spending too much at a grooming shop and thought I would be cheaper. I've only been mobile since Nov. 1st, but I am learning to stick to my prices and not go cheap. The ones who can afford it are very pleased and really don't argue price. I even have some that don't like the price but are unhappy with their present groomer and decide to try me. So far everyone has been happy and haven't said anything about price after the first time. I also like setting the times for the grooming when I want to do it and taking off when I need to.

Comment

Yes. For some reason, they think the smaller the dog the cheaper the price. I just tell 'em it's more intricate work, so same price.
                  Yep. I usually say something along the lines of, He may be only 5 lbs, but its like trying to groom an epileptic squirrel.
                  Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
                  George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Comment

Originally posted by ferretlov View Post
                    But I have to ask it,what are the pros and cons of mobile vs shop. that 55,00.00 van is certainly a sweet ride but that must be a big check to write for the finance company every month too.

I set out to groom becasue A) I love dogs B) have worked daycare centers(for dogs) for the last 10 years and know a lot about grooming C) I would rather be my own boss and set my own hours doing something that makes me happy.

I was thinking I could do small dogs from my house. Then I started thinking ,I know some dogs I would rather not have in my house,that is when I got the great idea of mobile .But I dont want to be tied to a builind 8-10 hours a day every day either.so what were the deciding factors that led you all into mobile?
                    I already had the truck, so I didn't have a big truck payment. My mobile was custom made and was way, way less expensive than a name brand mobile trailer. We went to a toy hauler manufacturer and my husband designed the inside of my rig. He's in construction, so he's pretty smart when it comes to stuff like that. The beauty of mobile is that you're never on "vacation," you're "booked solid." You're never "grocery shopping," you just "don't have your book in front of you." You never have to deal with a matted, disgusting, pooped on itself, backyard biting idiot (unless you want to) cause those people would never pay mobile prices. You run your business the way you want.

But on the other hand.....

You have to fill up your water tank every morning or the night before, You're on the road everyday with people that'll pull out in front of you on the freeway, flat tires, broken water lines, generator issues, the cost of gas for the truck AND trailer, making sure you don't block the driveway or mailbox on trash day, nosey neighbors, grouchy neighbors, wear and tear on your towing vehicle, ect. I know I've forgotten a slew of things, but I still love mobile.

Comment

Originally posted by PuppyFluffer View Post
                      Yep. I usually say something along the lines of, He may be only 5 lbs, but its like trying to groom an epileptic squirrel.
                      ROFL! Plus, they don't understand your blade is more than half the size of the dog's leg.

Comment

Originally posted by ferretlov View Post
                        ok 'I" know moble is more .But Why is that? I was thinking about maybe one day having a mobile van once im actually a good groomer LOL. (Im new ) I was thinking overhead wouldnt be as high, but you cant da as many in a day right? how does it all work out to be profitable?
                        Overhead = van payment on a 60,000 van

insurance on the van - dont get regular auto insurance, you need mobile groomers insurance, which is higher than just auto insurance

gas (dont forget your van & your generator both use gas) generator oil, LP gas for the hot water heater, generator repairs (which is crazy expensive & you lose money on down time when the gene breaks down!), tires (which wear out at a quicker rate due to the weight of the water and the van) and van repairs. {Ok mobilers, what did I leave out?}

Then there are the regular expenses like shampoo, equipment, etc... that we all incur.

Plus like everyone said, you cant groom as many dogs in a mobile as you can in a shop so you have to charge more than salon prices.

Comment

You're on the road everyday with people that'll pull out in front of you on the freeway, flat tires, broken water lines, generator issues, the cost of gas for the truck AND trailer, making sure you don't block the driveway or mailbox on trash day, nosey neighbors, grouchy neighbors, wear and tear on your towing vehicle, ect. I know I've forgotten a slew of things, but I still love mobile.
                          Isn't it amazing how so many people seem to act as to say "I'm sorry, I just didn't see your big, tall, 10,000 pound grooming van!" My husband, who does the driving while I catch a catnap between appointments, often fills in the dialog with things like 'You know, if I just put a few more of those paw print things on the van, people could see us better!" or "That driver could be so much better at changing lanes if he/she took the cell phone out of his/her ear and placed it where the sun has never shined!"

Breakdowns? We just got our van back running after a week in the shop.
                          "With God's help, all things are possible!"
                          Laura Lee Ray
                          I am kats_melody on eGroomer. Follow my Twitter tweets - @ZOOMGROOM on Twitter.com

Comment

To repeat another tread; mobile can be done on a budget, however you have to charge more to cover your overhead.

I recently picked up 6 new clients in one area and none of them flinched over the fact I was more than what they were currently paying. They wanted the convience and they wanted to know their little baby was right there not being caged. Everyone of them loved it and instantly noticed how much happier their pet was when I brought them back rather than being at a salon all day.

I'm no spring chicken either and relatively new to grooming, but I can handle 5 dogs a day with no problem. The other day I did 7, 3 small, 2 medium, and two large dogs and I was one tired puppy at the end of the day. Made lots of money, but the next time I try to do that many dogs in one day I'm going to enlist the help of my wife.

Comment

i tell people that mobile is more because i am the best around totally gets them to pay attention to what i am saying.....mobile is not for everyone.

my quote here from 10 years ago used to be tacked on to many a website:
                              "Maybe mobile grooming is just not for you......."

two of the oldie original mobiles here: "Jet set pet" and "bark n purr" can vouch for my wonderful phone call answer to a person complaining about cost.
                              i take full credit for that wonderful line

Comment

Working...
                              X