Green Grooming Presentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Grooming Presentation

I've recently been asked to speak at a high school on environmentally friendly grooming. I of course was going to bring my van( I wrote the makers for some info to handout to the students), talk about the clipper vac, bathing beauty, eco friendly shampoos and the whole gas mileage with my van and h2o filtration system. I was just wondering if any of you had suggestions on additional topics, presentation ideas or anything else I might be missing.

I just want to represent us well!!

Inverter vs Generator

is a Green topic. Also about how some newer inventions have already put solar power into the Mobile grooming world...would be something I might speak about as looking to the future.

And how diesel rigs can and do run off of Bio-diesel made from french-fry oil...
    A complete green machine like a Sprinter diesel, running on french-fry oil Bio-diesel with an Inverter that is charged at night at home or trickle charged during operation by the engine or solar...really put the Green Machine out there.

Comment

You could also mention cleaning supplies , maybe if you use vinegar or something earth friendly.

Comment

There is a website to donate hair clippings that is used to clean up oil spills.

http://www.matteroftrust.org/

Comment

green

Originally posted by rach58 View Post
          There is a website to donate hair clippings that is used to clean up oil spills.

http://www.matteroftrust.org/
          Thank you sooo much for this information! I am signing up today!!!

Comment

Personally, I'd stay out of the bio-diesel debate.

Comment

I really don't see mobile as very "green" to start with. Whether you use diesel or gas, your still leaving quite a large carbon footprint on the environment. Inverter? Still not as "green" as some would assume. What happens to all those batteries when they are no longer able to hold a charge? You are still using non-renewable energy to CHARGE the batteries. Generator? they use fossil fuels to operate and have to be left running for long periods. Same with diesel vehicles.

Honestly (and I'm not trying to slam mobile's), I don't see where a mobile groomer could be promoting "green" grooming at such an event, UNLESS your vehicle utilized things like solar panels, water reclamation systems, and/or electric engines. Sure, you could FUDGE being "green", but those that are INTO this way of living will know that you are. Also, if you are presenting to high school kids, will you be able to answer their questions in regards to what they've learned in class on the environment? Not saying you can't, but you know they will pose some potentially difficult scenario's.

Comment

I disagree with NeaNea- I think the point should be is "how we as groomers" are trying to help our part in being green.

Think, just 10 years ago all of the chemicals and carcinogens we used.

I think your approach that "Everyone doing their part is beneficial".

Unless everyone turns to the Raw Food Vegan diet, builds their home out of sustainable materials, no more vehicles (even green vehicles leave other waste), fabric clothes, etc.

I am sure their teacher/professor will be there to handle hard questions.

Comment

neanea

Batteries are recycled they charge you extra for not turning in your old batteries when you replace them. They are typically completely recycled even the plastic case. The lead has high $ value in the metals markets.The battery manufactures would rather buy back the old battery then to go out and buy new lead at fluctuating prices. The plastic case is chopped into small pieces and remelted then put through an injection mold to remake the cases. The acid is made neutral then filtered and the water goes back to where it once came from or reused. The carbon foot print left behind from burning fossil fuel will always be higher ,coal is the worst. If a gal of fuel weighs xx? pounds and is burned in a engine the same amount lbs of waste will emerge on the other end. Unless the engine has a time/space portal where it sends the waste to another dimension.
                  When it becomes worth while batteries will be replaced with a combination battery capacitor combo. The advantage is how a capacitor can be charged up using very high voltages and high frequency.When combined with a battery to hold greater amounts of charge in the form of joules they work well together. Economics are playing a negative role in the release of the technology onto the open market. It will effect everything even the engine moving our vehicles. Electric motors are far more powerful pound for pound then a ICE. They were used more widely then gas engines back when it all started. The war between Edison and Tesla over alternating or direct current power kinda didn't help. The lack of research towards better batteries also did not help.
                  One undeniable fact renders the debate ended "oil is limited" the sun is not. The sun is free ,oil is not. The sun releases more energy in one 24 hour period then all the oil on the planet can release in the same time frame. No one has ever been killed over the sun or the light it gives us.
                  Now I have to go out and kill a tree to cook the cow who was releasing to much co2 by farting after eating too much hay. While not green it sure does taste good____the cow that is.

Comment

Originally posted by neanea View Post
                    I really don't see mobile as very "green" to start with. Whether you use diesel or gas, your still leaving quite a large carbon footprint on the environment. Inverter? Still not as "green" as some would assume. What happens to all those batteries when they are no longer able to hold a charge? You are still using non-renewable energy to CHARGE the batteries. Generator? they use fossil fuels to operate and have to be left running for long periods. Same with diesel vehicles.

Honestly (and I'm not trying to slam mobile's), I don't see where a mobile groomer could be promoting "green" grooming at such an event, UNLESS your vehicle utilized things like solar panels, water reclamation systems, and/or electric engines. Sure, you could FUDGE being "green", but those that are INTO this way of living will know that you are. Also, if you are presenting to high school kids, will you be able to answer their questions in regards to what they've learned in class on the environment? Not saying you can't, but you know they will pose some potentially difficult scenario's.
                    i agree. and i do not understand why a bathing beauty system is green? because i handwash and use less water then a beauty, that makes me less green?
                    sorry to vent but i really hate green when it is hypocritical. NOT calling princesspoodle a hypocrite at all! no way, just voicing an opinion about this biz NOT being such a green one.
                    i can't even dump MY "Green" shampoo waste water in the street for fear of a biohazzard!
                    I think the speech should be about what MORE we can do as a biz to become green...i do not think we are green as a whole yet.
                    Last edited by louie; 02-02-10, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X