hit and run in traffic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hit and run in traffic

Today while going from my second to third appt I had a scary situation. I was driving in the left lane and in the center lane was a huge flatbed tow truck. I noticed him swaying towards me and back out so I sped up to get away from him. As I was moving forward I hear a loud BANG! on my right and then nearly hit the center concrete divide as I corrected. OMG he just hit me! I was shaking and scared but looked to see my passenger mirror against my window. At this point he is slowing down trying to avoid me.

So I slow wayyy down and move to the right lane. I scribble down his license plate #, phone #, business name, description, and truck #. He then sees me and quickly turns left as I continue straight. I am as angry as a wet cat at this point so I call him and it goes like this;

"hello?" him
    "hi. you just hit my van with your tow truck." me
    "hello?!" pretending he doesn't speak english and acting confused.
    "don't pull that sh*t with me. you have your own business and are answering the phone for your company, I know you speak English. My family are immigrants, don't even try to pull that one. Listen, you just hit my van and I know you know because you took off when you saw me writing down your information. You better pray to baby Jesus that when I pull over there is nothing wrong with this van."
    "huh, hello?!" he says again
    "no hello. You hit my van and I am calling the police." me
    click. he hung up.

So I pull over on a side street and call the police. I get out and inspect my van while talking to the dispatcher. Aside from a huge ding on the black part of the mirror, I can't find any other damage! He hit that mirror so hard I am shocked. It sounded like the whole side of the van was thrashed. I was shaking and freaked out but ok. I told the dispatcher I had an appt and couldn't wait to file a report right then and that I would go in in person. Which leads me to my next question. Should I file a report even if there is no real damage aside from the mirror? My instinct is telling me I should since he has probably done this before. Any advice?!

I was shaking for a good half hour. I had to sit and calm down before grooming my schnauzer. I can't believe it, I haven't even made the 3rd payment yet.

Yes, file a report. Even though there isn't a lot of damage he needs to know this is NOT okay!
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

I hope you gave his info to the police. sound like he might be under the influence of something. they would need to catch up to him pretty quick if they wanted to test him. absolutely fill out a report, you got lucky, the next person might not.

Comment

I would file a report with police but I would avoid calling you insurance agency unless you want your rate to go up.

Comment

File the report, let the police send a message. It could have been a child, or bus load of them, you were lucky, the next person might not be.
          ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

File a report!! You were the victim of a hit & run. Do contact your insurance co, your rates won't go up. That mirror won't be cheap to replace.

You might also go to your state home page and try to find if this guy has a business license, also contact the DMV, since you have his plate number. You might also find whether or not he has insurance. It's public record so you should be able to get it. Then I would call his insurance co and file a claim with them. Be sure you have a police report in hand before you do this.

Comment

If he was an immigrant as you suggest and under the infuence of something he may have had trouble remembering his English.
              "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
              People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Thank you for the advice ladies. I am going to file a report. I had a similar situation in Canada when I was visiting my parents, except the man was completely drunk. He rear ended me and my husband in my mother's NEW car that my dad bought her for her birthday. He was staggering all over then took off before police could arrive. I filed a report and while they weren't able to track him down he did it AGAIN and got caught a year later. This time he seriously injured someone. My mother was able to get her insurance reimbursed once they figured out who he was.

Even though there isn't any body damage, I feel like it should be noted since he was driving so unsafe...and took off to boot!

To Smart N Pretty, the reason I went off on him about pulling the bs not speaking English thing...I have learned from certain relatives of mine that they conveniently don't remember how to speak English when it benefits them. Ugh. He may have been drunk or high too judging by the way he was driving.

Comment

I would file that report !I also have experiance with people who "forget" english when the situation is sticky, my mom works in the school system here in florida and when she calls a parent to pick up their sick child they dont know english untill she says you have 1 hour before I call dcf to come and pick up your child who has a 103 temp and they can figure out "oh no ill be right there" real quick.
                  it happens.

Comment

Yeah, I in no way thought you were being un-pc. I live in Tx and speak enough Spanish to offend real Spanish speakers. LOL! There are times when somebody conveniently forgets their English and I switch to Spanish only to have that person switch to English again when the gig is up. LOL!
                    "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous

Comment

Just because there may appear to be slight damage, report it to the police, to your insurance company, and have the insurance adjuster look at the damage.

Something that looks "not so bad" may be worse than you think. Have you tried opening the door? Checked the mirror to see if the glass is about to fall out? If you have electric or heated mirrors, do they still work?

"No habla ingles" doesn't work with me, either. I don't appreciate being taken for a fool.

When I was in Germany and the movers were packing up our stuff, one of them happened to say something about our stuff I didn't care for. I let them keep rattling on until I signed off on the packing job and proceeded to converse with them in the German I learned from having a German stepmother and living in Munich for years.

Their look was priceless. :-)
                      "With God's help, all things are possible!"
                      Laura Lee Ray
                      I am kats_melody on eGroomer. Follow my Twitter tweets - @ZOOMGROOM on Twitter.com

Comment

Originally posted by kats_melody View Post
                        When I was in Germany and the movers were packing up our stuff, one of them happened to say something about our stuff I didn't care for. I let them keep rattling on until I signed off on the packing job and proceeded to converse with them in the German I learned from having a German stepmother and living in Munich for years.

Their look was priceless. :-)
                        LMBO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by petpalswi View Post
                          I hope you gave his info to the police. sound like he might be under the influence of something. they would need to catch up to him pretty quick if they wanted to test him. absolutely fill out a report, you got lucky, the next person might not.
                          He was probably texting, which is just as bad.

Comment

well if you've ever driven an ELite doen a narrow 2 way street and had another truck with extended side mirrors you are quite familar with that noise, it happened to me two weeks ago. I was going estbound a truck going westbound, WHAM!! I look to see my mirror in 100 pieces, now i can't swing a u-turn to figure out who hit who and what not , so I go to a glass place and pay $38 for new mirror glass....oh well !

Comment

Hit and run is serious business. You have his info, report him. To the cops and, to your insurance - let them run a dmv on him, and track down his insurance if he has any...etc.. thats their job. And...look up his biz license with the state also and it may be that you can file some sort of complaint there also.

dont let that junk go.... thats ridiculous and, you could also have some medical issue such as whiplash etc and not even realize it yet.... so cover yourself by reporting. Usually you have several years to claim any medical issues due to a crash. But if you dont report it then...it didnt happen and yeah that fool could hurt someone else ...

Comment

Working...
                              X