would u go just for a trim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• would u go just for a trim?

I have kind of already made my mind up but don't know if i'm being a *****. So, this rich lady has a golden and she lives in an area i don't serve. I have been out there about 4 times, b/c the other ladies on the street use me when they need golden (allover haircuts) grooming. They aren't regulars. They do baths themselves in the summer and then they call me when the dogs hair is too long for them. So, she calls and says she can't justify my price (when i drive out there i've always done a full groom) b/c she said she could bathe the dog, she just wants me to trim him up , not even all over but a trim of his tail and underneath , probably a sanitary trim is what she wants. So i haven't called her back yet but i need to. She is very snobby and doesn't even tip. Do yall go out just to trim? I'm thinking she is nuts. SHe even said she knows i live far away. WHat would you say to a customer like this? I need to sound nice but i'm very annoyed. She just sounded so snotty on the voice mail.

I won't touch a dog thats been bathed by the owner. It is never clean enough, never blown out, etc. I'd tell her I wouldn't come unless I was bathing the dog. Gotta make a living, gas is expensive!

Comment

I'm not mobile, but I wouldn't groom a dog that I haven't bathed. Even working out of my home I still have gotten a few calls to see if I would groom a dog after they have bathed it. I always tell them NO, for the same reasons grooming goddess gave you (minus the gas expense of course).

This really sounds like someone I wouldn't want to have as a client.
      "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
      Diane

Comment

I don't do piece work

Comment

Nope. I never do a dog that I don't bathe and dry myself. Anyway, I have a bottom line price and I don't even leave my driveway for less than that. Can't afford that. If you lose her what have you really lost? Someone nickel and diming you to death when you could have an appreciative full paying client in her place.
          ~*~Robin~*~
          "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Comment

Originally posted by baddog View Post
            I don't do piece work
            AMEN! Full groom or nothing at all. And dont let her whittle you down on the price, heck I'd even charge more because she is out of your area and you are going for 1 dog, not the usual group that you usually do while you are in that area. Call it a travel fee or a 2010 price increase, but dont let her bully you into giving her a discount.

Comment

I have one dog that I groom that I don't bathe, but it is a friend's dog, any other dog, I DO NOT touch...They are never washed properly or like stated above never blown out...it makes the job 10 million times harder...if you do go out, I would charge the same price as if you were washing it. That's what I tell all my clients, the bath is included in the price of the groom & it doesn't go down if you wash it yourself! Simple as that! ) Good luck

Comment

I actually will, if I'm there anyway. I had a client with a Golden and there was no way to get this golden in my tub. She would melt into the floor and was too heavy for me to pick up. I would brush her out and trim her feet. I figure, if I'm already in the area and I'm not going out of my way, might as well take the 15 minutes to make some extra money. And I charge a good amount for it. I have another with a Samoyed that doesn't get a bath. The dog has some health issues and stress can make them worse, so I shave, yes, a dirty dog. I charge full price since it does dull my blades faster. I have another the owner washes and I groom. She knows the groom will not look as nice since I haven't bathed, but once again, this little maltese has lots, and I mean LOTS of health issues and she stresses easily (she has cushings among other things) and her mom just feels it's less stressful if she washes her. I do a haircut on her in her kitchen, don't even bring her to the van. So yeah, I make lots of concessions for my clients LOL. Did I mention, I tend to be a pushover/softee for those special needs pets?
                What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

No way. I once groomed a shih that the owner bathed themselves. IMO it looked awful. You just can't get the same result without the bath and fluff. I also hated using my tools on the dogs coat. Just not clean enough and up to my standards.

What does that mean - She can't "justify" the price? In other words the groom isn't worth it. She wants you to work for cheap. She sounds snotty? I would not groom the dog or be this lady's groomer. I'm sensitive. I'm a professional. I'd be offended by her attitude.
                  www.gomobileandsucceed.com
                  http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

Originally posted by mylady View Post
                    . Did I mention, I tend to be a pushover/softee for those special needs pets?
                    I would consider it for a special needs pet but not for a cheapo.
                    ~*~Robin~*~
                    "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Comment

The reason I wouldn't do it is because of the client being cheap. Other wise I would do it. If they are struggling money wise etc but from the sounds of it the lady is being cheap. I take these clients until I just can't fit them in anymore, I'm about half way there. I do have a few clients that owners bath, one is just a good client that needs to save money but does a good job of bathing. Lately she still has him damp for me to blow out so that helps alot. I did just do a cocker with siezures that I asked her to bath him that way I wouldn't be stressing him out. It worked out but he wasn't all that clean. Not sure if I will have her do that again or maybe sell her one of my shampoos & see if that helps. We'll see in Apr.

I did have one client, a neighbor sort of, that wanted me to clip & fix her handywork at my house, she would bath before. I gave in & did it on a Sunday last yr. So last week she wanted me to do that again on a Sunday. I'm standing my ground in 2010, no more working on my day's off. I do have Monday's off but will work one Monday a month.

Shannon
                      The Soapy Puppy
                      Last edited by Starshan; 01-23-10, 06:28 PM.

Comment

If you have been servicing dogs in her area, I wouldn't consider it out of your area as you "are" working that area. Aside from that, I am the oddball here as I WOULD take the appointment. (provided I still groomed large dogs). I charge by the hour and have a 1 hour minimum charge and even if someone calls me out to do a quick bath on a min pin, it is still a 1 hour charge. I do make exceptions if that min pin is a second dog in a household where the 1st dog is getting a full groom. In those cases I charge half price for that 15 min bath and nail trim. I have to cover my expense getting "to" the appointment thus the minimum charge of an hour to start.

Comment

I recently had a potential client inquire about brushing her 4 Old English Sheep Dogs. I haven't groomed one before so didn't how much to quote her. I went to meet with the owner and the dogs. She told me she just needed someone to help her brush them because she injured her hand and couldn't do it. Their hair is not very long but it is thick with some mats. She told me it usually took her couple hours to do one dog. So I estimate that if I was going to spend a whole day, I should make up the same amount of money or at least close to what I would make in a day grooming 3-5 little dogs. I decided to quote her 30 minutes rate. She declined, which I already figured. For some reason I always run into big dog owners who want cheap labour. I am new but I can always fill up my weeks now, so I don't really care much for odd jobs like that any more. If they don't want to pay, then that's okay with me. They are not going to end up be my regular clients anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by wet noze View Post
                            I'm sensitive. I'm a professional. I'd be offended by her attitude.
                            Same here. It's disrespectful. Sounds like the type to treat you like "the help." I have no toleration for pretension.
                            That Tenacious Terrier!
                            www.thattenaciousterrier.com
                            https://www.facebook.com/ThatTenaciousTerrier

Comment

Tell her fine, you'll do just feet and privates....but she'll still have to pay for the whole groom anyway. After all its still a grooming time slot since you cant fit anyone else into the left over 45 minutes after her 15 minutes are up. Why should you loose a grooming slot because shes cheap. I'll bet she goes for the whole thing...if not,move on.

Comment

Working...
                              X