I'm an idiot, Please help! Re: Propane H2O heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm an idiot, Please help! Re: Propane H2O heater

OK everyone, I am a total idiot and I think I ruined my water heater.

Last night I was really rundown and tired after my last groom. I was dreading the fight today with DMV over the $1000 they said I owed them (took Thurs off to deal with it) and was so exhausted I figured I'd clean my van today. So this evening I went out and cleaned my van and was scrubbing down the walls when I noticed the water heater switch on. Oh ****! I drove home from my last appt yesterday with it on! I was so tired and out of it that I forgot to shut it off after bathing the last cat.

Now I can't get it to turn on. However, I do have hot water coming out of the sprayer. Since I am new to mobile grooming and hence unfamiliar with these things ~ Is it not firing up because it's already hot?! Or did I do something horrible that broke the water heater?! I am hoping it's the first because I have 7 dogs tomorrow starting at 6:30am.

Has anyone done this before? Is it going to start up tomorrow when the water cools down?

Any advice would be helpful. THANK YOU.

Oh and I got the DMV to give me my van plates/stickers and instead of $1000 I only had to pay .50!!! What a nightmare...but that's for another day.

Originally posted by cattledogz View Post
    ~ Is it not firing up because it's already hot?!
    YUP! It's hot already.
    A Light exists in Spring, Not present on the Year, At any other period -- When March is scarcely here...~~ Emily Dickensen~~

Comment

check your propane levels, make sure the outside dial is in the open position and if the water is already hot, it will not turn on. hope this helps.
      Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
      "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

If the water is already heated up, when you turn the switch back on it will not light up. The switch will only light up as the water heater is lighting up and then it turns off (or should). To me, it sounds like everything is just fine. I'm thinking, and hoping, that you can relax.
        don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

I've done exactly the same thing, the water heater will be just fine.

Comment

When you water gets cold and the light stays on, then that is when you have a problem. Usually you can fix that problem by pressing the two reset buttons near the pressure relief valve.

But it sounds like you have no harm, no foul. Those heaters are pretty robust. Now if you have an electric coil in your heater and run the tank dry, you can fry the coil. Make sure your tank always has water in it.

Laura
            "With God's help, all things are possible!"
            Laura Lee Ray
            I am kats_melody on eGroomer. Follow my Twitter tweets - @ZOOMGROOM on Twitter.com

Comment

Well maybe i'm not supposed to but I always leave my propane water heater on. I even leave my on demand water heater on in my older van and its been running for 3 years since I've had it. Never had a problem with either.

Comment

Originally posted by paws around town View Post
                Well maybe i'm not supposed to but I always leave my propane water heater on. I even leave my on demand water heater on in my older van and its been running for 3 years since I've had it. Never had a problem with either.
                I was told when I got my truck from wagntails that you shouldn't drive with the water heater or the furnace on because there is a risk of fire with the pilot light flame. That was enough for me to make sure to turn it off whenever I'm in motion.

Comment

Thank you everyone! I woke up extra early in case I needed to call WNT for help, but the water heater fired up just fine, light on, started up and heated fine all day. WHEW! I really thought I broke something. So much to learn with this van! I made it through 7 dogs with no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by gottalovegracie View Post
                    I was told when I got my truck from wagntails that you shouldn't drive with the water heater or the furnace on because there is a risk of fire with the pilot light flame. That was enough for me to make sure to turn it off whenever I'm in motion.
                    AND you don't want to have an open flame going when filling up with gas. I always turn mine off in between appts.
                    A Light exists in Spring, Not present on the Year, At any other period -- When March is scarcely here...~~ Emily Dickensen~~

Comment

I have to tell you a story Cattledogz, you'll feel less like an idiot....lol.

When I first got my van and in my first week of business, I thought the hot water heater quit working too (after a lunch break and I turned it back on but it wouldn't "kick in"). Oh I panicked! I ran the van over to my RV dealer and they took the WHOLE apparatus apart looking for the problem! LOL. Then the mechanic said "hey, this water is already hot" and they looked at me like I had rocks in my head. LOL. We all laughed it off and I paid a small diagnostic fee, but I sure did feel stupid. They were amused.... but not mad, since they knew I would be a "regular".... LOL.

Comment

Well guess I'll be turning both the water heater and furnace off while traveling from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by gottalovegracie View Post
                          That's odd. Motor homes and travel trailers run down the road with the furnaces and water heaters on all the time. Modern units are designed to do so.

You do have to turn off the water heater when fueling a gasoline powered rig. Less danger when the rig is diesel powered, but still good practice.

Certain bridges and tunnels require you to turn off the propane AT THE TANK before you can travel on them. Others will not let you travel on them at all.
                          "With God's help, all things are possible!"
                          Laura Lee Ray
                          I am kats_melody on eGroomer. Follow my Twitter tweets - @ZOOMGROOM on Twitter.com

Comment

Originally posted by kats_melody View Post
                            That's odd. Motor homes and travel trailers run down the road with the furnaces and water heaters on all the time. Modern units are designed to do so.
                            Mmmmm, my RV repair manager told me that they're not supposed to even though people do it anyway. Btw, he's in charge of a very large midwestern dealership.

Comment

The only time there is a danger is if the water heater is actually heating the water and the flame is going, which is only a 15 minute window. Once the water is heated, if not used, it will stay hot for hours at a time (less of course in the winter). Generally, when bathing a dog the heater will fire up toward the end of the bath. By the time your done grooming the water's already done being heated up. Of course there's always the risk, so better safe than sorry.
                              don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

Working...
                              X