Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not All Mixed Breeds Are A Bad Idea

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Not All Mixed Breeds Are A Bad Idea

    This combo I really like. I had two of the cutest Yorkie/Scotties today.( both male)Look 99% Scottie but small. Not Yorkie small but small like 14lbs. Nice temperments too. No nail issues, no muzzles, just the poop under the tail wasn't so cute. This makes for a longer legged but definite Scottie type dog. Reeeeaaaaly cute. sorry forgot the camera.

  • #2
    I agree, when you take a dog that is not so cute or has bad temperament and mix it, it usually is a wonderful mix. Probably my least favorite mix is a morkie, maltese/yorkie. What is there to gain w/ that mix, ****** hair plus ****** hair = crappier hair, hello. I often don't like working w/ shih's, we have so many that are quick to bite in this area, but alot of shih' mixes are so cute and darling. Not advocating designer breeds as I would be happier if people were getting these from shelters, but don't snub the dog when it didn't ask to be born.
    I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
    -Michelangelo

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm such a terrier enthusiast, the very idea of mixing a Scottie with a Yorkie makes me skin crawl! There is a special hell for breeders that mess with, in m opinion, perfection.
      "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

      Comment


      • #4
        thats an interesting mix would you happen to have any pics of the yorkie/scottie?

        Comment


        • #5
          Keyray,
          Have you heard of a "Whoodle"? It is a Wheaten x poodle, another terr. x...sad...I agree. Of course I don't care for the BYB that creates the oversized or undersized of any breed either. I've met a few very large scotties that were a handful! (and I like scotties!!!)


          sittingpretty

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by keyray View Post
            I'm such a terrier enthusiast, the very idea of mixing a Scottie with a Yorkie makes me skin crawl! There is a special hell for breeders that mess with, in m opinion, perfection.
            >>>

            LOL. I'm fine with mixed breeds, as long as they are healthy. I don't think anyone should breed dogs unless they know what they are doing. So many dogs in this country are a mess due to poor breeding practices.

            Comment


            • #7
              I too, am not advocating breeding any mixes as I think there are enough unwanted puppies/dog in the shelters. However the cutest and sweetest mixes I have seen have been the shih tzu/maltese pups. At least the ones I have in here, I groom 4 of them none are related, are adorable. They have very nice thick coats, small size with a face too cute to describe. Resemble a "baby-doll" maltese face except the muzzle is shorter than a maltese. If I were to want a small mix (I'm a big-dog (purebred) person) I would like to find a pup that look like these.
              Lisa VanVleet, RVT

              Comment


              • #8
                The dogs are littermates I think

                2yr old males. The woman got them from an on line newspaper ad. She is at least in her 80s. They dogs are fed by her mixture and even dog biscuits she makes with blueberries inn them. I will say, the one had a very flakey coat and I offered her a NU VET brochure to which she refused to take. She does give vitamins and said she will ad more oil. I hope it is Omega s. But it is hard to convince an elderly lady. So I won't push it. I am not condoning mixing breeds, I am just commenting that they are here, I groomed them, and I like the dogs. She called tonight to schedule for February and is happy with how they look. I don't care what pure or mixed breed I groom, as long as it doesn't try to bite me. Next time I will post a photo. Oh, yes, and the chest fur wasn't quite right, full or a type Scottie would have and the skirt a bit thin. One had a sparce beard. The legs were short but not stubby short. Keyray, are you serious? We all groom one mix or another. Why is this any worse? They exisit, they are loving and cute, and they are loved by an old lady who needs them. In a way, I am a mixed breed too. LOL

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by lefty View Post
                  >>>

                  LOL. I'm fine with mixed breeds, as long as they are healthy. I don't think anyone should breed dogs unless they know what they are doing. So many dogs in this country are a mess due to poor breeding practices.
                  But Terriers are PERFECT! and Yorkies shouldn't be mixed with anything is the mistaken idea that they are IMPROVING the lines.
                  "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Jenneversage64 View Post
                    Keyray, are you serious? We all groom one mix or another. Why is this any worse? They exisit, they are loving and cute, and they are loved by an old lady who needs them. In a way, I am a mixed breed too. LOL
                    Actually I am joking. Though I do love Terriers. I admit that I even really like the Goldendoodles I groom.
                    "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I have no problem with mixed breed dogs. It is the people that put them together, give them a silly name and sell them for outrageous $$$....
                      So a yorkie scottie.... would that be a yottie? or maybe a scorkie?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Except fot the ears

                        and one one it flops, they look very Scottie. They have the tails, and are black with the same type coats. Not delicate like a Yorkie, and very cute. Rather mello. The one instead of standing preferred to curl up in a ball. Muzzles, heads definately Scottie shaped. I called them Scottorkies. I doubt they cost much, as this elderly lady lives in a no frills RV park in a park model, that is not kept up. She probably would not have had much money to spend on two at once if they cost a lot.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I own, or am OWNED BY three maltese/yorkie mixes thank you very much and they are awesome. TWO are competition dogs, so where you get ****** coats from is beyond me...One has won several group placements in LARGE competitions. My youngest Morkie (I hate that term) is actually the sweetest, most loving, amazing little dog. Everyoe who comes in my shop picks him up and holds him. He is a dollbaby. Not sure wher eyou are that your yorkies and maltese have ****** hair, but here they are nice and easy to deal with.

                          My FAVE mix by far is the Bichon-Poodle. Usually less highstrung thatn the bichons we see and they generally have better hair by a long shot! Smaller, nicer better hair.....whats not to love?
                          <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by gr8danlvr1 View Post
                            I agree, when you take a dog that is not so cute or has bad temperament and mix it, it usually is a wonderful mix. Probably my least favorite mix is a morkie, maltese/yorkie. What is there to gain w/ that mix, ****** hair plus ****** hair = crappier hair, hello. I often don't like working w/ shih's, we have so many that are quick to bite in this area, but alot of shih' mixes are so cute and darling. Not advocating designer breeds as I would be happier if people were getting these from shelters, but don't snub the dog when it didn't ask to be born.
                            The only morkie I have worked on was so tiny I was afraid to work on it & hyper, very hard to work on because she was all over the table. Very cute though. I liked her because of looks, crazyness no.

                            Shannon
                            The Soapy Puppy

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Maltipoos.....

                              have fast become my favorite mixed. I have about 6 I do and they are all sweet and adorable. A little tender headed but just so lovable. One of my favorite small dogs. I never would have thought I'd like one of these designer breeds but the MaltiPoo has fast won me over.
                              ~*~Robin~*~
                              "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X