Need Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice

Got a call from a client today. It was a client I thought I had lost and was honestly relieved at the thought. She has a 95 lb, overweight, lab that has hair like an akita. I groomed this dog three times and it was 4-6wks apart. Then went several months without hearing from them. They called me today.

The reason I was relieved to lose this client is because the dog takes me two hours to do. Ya, a lab that takes two hours! I charge what I would on a dog that takes an hour and a half and is easier to do during that hour and a half. I am already charging her almost quadruple what she would pay at the petsommething in my area so don't feel right charging her more money, and at this point I just don't want to groom the dog anymore no matter how much she is willing to pay. I am booked out six weeks so I don't need the business.

What do I say to her? Honestly I want to just not call her back, but feel that probably is not the right way to go about this. So what would you do?

Just tell her that the dog is more work than you can fit into your schedule and recommend someone else.
    Deidre

Comment

What exactly is the issue? Is it that you do not feel the money is worth the time you put into it, or you just don't like to groom the dog? Would you like it better if he came in on a 2 week schedule?

Figure out what it is you want first. If you would be happy grooming him regularly, tell her that you will only continue to groom him if she agrees to a frequent schedule to keep him in decent shape. If you just don't like grooming the dog, just tell her that. Tell her he is too big for you to do and your back kills you afterward. Tell her he would be better off going somewhere where there are at least 2 people to help work on him...make something up, but definately call her back and be polite and professional about it.

Good Luck!
      Last edited by PAWS; 01-14-10, 12:03 AM.

Comment

If you are steadily booked 6 weeks out, you are full! It wouldn't matter who it was, you just don't have the ability to put that dog in your schedule. Recommend a different groomer and go on your own way. Once your schedule is full, it only makes sense that you start limiting. You can only do so much in a day. You should not feel guilty about it at all.

Comment

Originally posted by SwissNChow View Post
          If you are steadily booked 6 weeks out, you are full! It wouldn't matter who it was, you just don't have the ability to put that dog in your schedule. Recommend a different groomer and go on your own way. Once your schedule is full, it only makes sense that you start limiting. You can only do so much in a day. You should not feel guilty about it at all.
          Exactly! Just tell her you are booked up, refer her to someone else and wish her a good day. That is the beauty of owning your own business, you dont have to take every dog that comes your way. If you dont like doing the dog for whatever reason- too big, too hairy, too timeconsuming, too difficult, etc... and you are not hurting for business - turn them away. Then smile because you are in a position to be able to do that!

Comment

Working...
          X