Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bath before Clip, or Clip before bath

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone clips before a bath. I usually clip before because when the hair is clipped shorter before a bath, the drying time is less. But I know a lot of groomers bath before a clip and I don't understand the importance of it. can anyone let me know?

Thank you.

I'll chime in. My blades never touch dirty hair. Unless hopelessly pelted (and I don't really get those dogs) everyone is bathed and dried before I clip anything...even sanitaries and pads.
    Blades live longer, finishes on dogs are nicer, and dirty dogs gross me out.
    Only takes a few extra minutes...which I have, to shampoo and dry before I clip.
    Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Depends on my mood, but usually bath first unless its a poodle then its face, feet, tail before bath, always.

Comment

Depends really. If I;m takin gmore than 1/2 the hair off, I have one set of blades for "rough-in" work, and one set for finishing work.
        You're right, it makes a world of difference as far as drying and bathing time, but it can sometimes make the finished look not as...nice. A little "rough?" Can't put my finger on it but it's a different look.

How about brushing double coats out before the bath? Since I've discovered Best Shot, I hardly spend half the time I used too...

Comment

Bath, wet clip if needed, dry, finish. Unless the dog is horribly matted then I will spend 10 minutes max very roughly taking it off with a 10 blade before the bath. If you dont have a lot of experience then I have noticed that my grooming students generally do a better finish if they pre clip, both because they are going over the dog twice and because they arent yet proficient at fluff drying and find it easier to get the coat straighter with less length to contend with.

Comment

I normally bathe 1st. Was taught to do a ruff cut, bathe, then finish, but seems like a huge waste of time to me, plus I'm not putting my blades on dirty hair. If it's a huge matted mess, I bathe, wet shave, then dry and finish. My 2 cents worth,,,lol

Comment

I still preclip most of my dogs. Unless it's a regular with maybe half inch of growth I still feel it's quicker to preclip. I would rather do a quick five minute rough in then waste time scrubbing and drying hair I'm just gonna cut off.
              Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

If I preclip at all, I do it after a rough shampooing. Zips off quickly, easy to clean up (esp. double coated clip downs!) and then follow up with a regular bath process. Faster blow dry but not damaging my blades. I notice trims look better when NOT pre-clipped dry also. I don't know why except that maybe the hair fluffs out more nicely than if it is already pretty short?

Comment

Everything get a bath first unless it's a big hairy that's getting shaved down. Then I'll pre-clip just so the drying time is faster. But I never used my best blades to pre clip
                  "No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin

Comment

I bath before clip on most. I have had less blade problems this way. The only dogs I don't bath first is on one dog that hates the dryer & he gets grumpy with me doing much clipping after the dryer. Did him yesterday, I had to step away from the table let him calm with the final clip, I almost couldn't finish him this time he was so nasty with me. Or new dogs that haven't been groomed in several months. Of coarse the pelted dogs or like Poms / dogs in full coat that want a haircut, I will do a half clip, bath & then re-clip.

Shannon
                    The Soapy Puppy

Comment

I clip before bath if -

If the dog has much coat that I know will be removed, I cut some off. I dislike drying much extra hair. So on a lot of dogs, that means if they have been 5 weeks or more since their last grooming, I'll cut some off. There are some Bichons and other dogs that I do that I will clip before the bath even when done in 4 weeks, because they are so thick!

Also if the dog has a drop coat but the owner wants it shortened, I clip some off even if it would be quick to dry it long BECAUSE those drop coats can "lay" different when you take the weight off, so the final scissor is nicer, I think.

Comment

After some advice, I now bath before I clip b/c it saves me about approx half hour. I was shocked how much time I was spending on each dog by clipping, bathing, then clipping again. No matter how much coat, it actually saves me time overall, even if I have to dry a bit longer. The only dogs that I don't do this with is a big shavedown or any Poodles...I go ahead and clip their faces b/c most don't like their faces dried for very long.

Comment

depends

It really depends on the dog and what is being done to it here... most are bathed first that way I dont get as many hair splinters....bt for the once a year shave downs and the matted messes they get shave down with a blade higher skip tooth before the bath... ie finished golden sd 7F blade taken down with the 5 skip before the bath.

Comment

If they are my regular clients that get groomed at least every 6-8 wks, I will bathe them first. Big thick or hairy dogs will be clipped first because it will take me too long to hand dry them. Sometime I also wet clip the matted mess. Anyhow, I was taught to pre-clip but I think that make it easier for a newbie or a student to learn how to groom. I changed to do the bath first after I read some of the threads on this board. I think it is much easier to clip the dogs when the hair is clean.

Comment

I am not bobile, but we bathe pretty much everything first. I cannot get dogs CLEAN that are cut shorter (something abot the way the hair moves to allow the soapy water in) and I CANNOT fluff dry short coats because it drys faster than I can straighten it. I hate working on dirty animals and I love being able to go out after work and not smell like dog! My blades last literally forever and my dogs all look great. It might take a few more minutes to bathe and dry, but that is offset by the time spent precutting and the money lost by having to sharpen blades all the time, PLUS the better finish.....
                              <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X