Some people are a piece of work!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some people are a piece of work!!

My other stylist takes care of a very difficult poodle. We charge a minimum to come out even if the dog doesn't get a haircut. No other groomer in the area can get him done. So my stylist has numerous conversations months prior about our minimum charge whether we give a hair cut or not. There were no questions. When she finished the dog the lady gave her the check, folded and turned over, my stylist didn't really look at it a the time. When my stylist got back she looked at the check, the dog owner shorted the check $20. We are sending an invoice and a note with and explanation with our charges again. Oh, I forgot to tell you she lives in a multi million dollar house and summers on a very exclusive island in the Northeast. Of all the nerve.

I always give a reciept. That way they look at the reciept as they write the check. I aways double check the check before leaving the house. I don't rely on their memory.

Shannon
    The Soapy Puppy

Comment

Yeah

and her $450.00 designer hand bag costs way more than that groom!

Comment

Those are usually the cheapest ones. The working class/average Joe folks like us, are nice, appreciative of our services and usually tip or at least give something extra to us at Christmas.

Comment

yup...thats my experience too...
          I only have had one very wealthy client tip big, and praise and support my work...
          come to find out she came from rags and married into riches. figures huh?

Comment

Too Funny!

That's why they are rich. They pinch pennies on basics and go all out on irrelevant things. I used to work at CarMax Auto Superstores and the well off's would come in and buy the Lexus's, Land Rovers, BMW's etc and have us take the CarMax sticker off so no one new it was used and where they bought it from. They're definitely smart because someone else that buys it new pays the depreciation and then the second owner really starts paying what the car is actually worth.

Comment

Remind your groomer that it is her responsibility to read the check before she leaves the home.

Comment

I have also found that the wealthier they are, the cheaper they are. The worst are the ones that are those born with the proverbial "silver spoon" in their mouths.

Why is that? I think it is because they are brought up from the cradle to believe they are social superiors and those who perform services for them are inferior baggage of sorts. The "superiors" are polite to you in their own way, but the phoniness of it is easy to spot.

I ran into that attitude a lot with the wealthy backers of show dogs and horses. It wasn't universal, but more common than it should have been.

The most blatant examples I recall were the people I would, say, pick up at the airport and would automatically climb into the BACK seat of the car instead of sitting next to me in the front, then pull the "Home, James" routine and make it obvious I was unworthy of chatting with them while driving.

Comment

Why?!

"We charge a minimum to come out even" so why even do the dog in the first place? If you aren't making any profit, dump this one and get a client that is profitable.

"No other groomer in the area can get him done" sounds like YOU are in control here. Charge her more and make it worth your while. It doesn't matter where they live or where they vacation or anything else. Business is business.

Comment

Originally posted by Stylin Stella View Post
                    "We charge a minimum to come out even" so why even do the dog in the first place? If you aren't making any profit, dump this one and get a client that is profitable.

"No other groomer in the area can get him done" sounds like YOU are in control here. Charge her more and make it worth your while. It doesn't matter where they live or where they vacation or anything else. Business is business.
                    Right on, Stella!

Business IS business, and last time I looked, I'm not on the list of approved charities for United Way.

I've found quite the opposite regarding moneyed people. The more money they have (based solely upon my guess based on where they live, gated communities mostly) the less they quibble about the price. They have everything done for them from the lawn to the dog grooming, and many of them are busy people. They APPRECIATE me.

Maybe it's a Southern thing?

Laura
                    "With God's help, all things are possible!"
                    Laura Lee Ray
                    I am kats_melody on eGroomer. Follow my Twitter tweets - @ZOOMGROOM on Twitter.com

Comment

Originally posted by kats_melody View Post
                      I've found quite the opposite regarding moneyed people. The more money they have (based solely upon my guess based on where they live, gated communities mostly) the less they quibble about the price. They have everything done for them from the lawn to the dog grooming, and many of them are busy people. They APPRECIATE me.

Maybe it's a Southern thing?

Laura

Nope, not a southern thing completely I don't think since I have many very wealthy clients and all are very big tippers, refer me to everyone, book regularly, and don't say a thing about the price. I had one client when I first started out that haggled with me about price and after I did her dogs and she saw my work told me I was worth what I charged and tipped me an extra $40.
                      What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Most of my highly professional and wealthy clients are the same, they don't say much about th price and pre-book the appointment every 2-6 weeks. They don't neccessary tip me, though. I think may be they know I own my business or they don't tip the pet groomer. I don't know but as long as they are nice to me, I don't really care.

Comment

Working...
                        X