Cats in a Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cats in a Mobile

I am going mobile in two weeks...nervous much? I am going to offer cat grooming (in addition to dogs), as I have done them for years and feel comfortable. My dilema is, I have always done cats where, if I needed it, there were a second set of hands available. Now granted, I rarely need them, but sometimes, you really do. How do people in mobiles, working alone, do cat grooming? Do you have certain days you offer it and bring a helper along? Some have suggested the owners help, but I am not really that comfortable with that idea. Any suggestions would be great....thanks!

I have been only grooming mobile since aug 09. Before that I was in school learning to groom dogs and cats. At the school we had the option of learning to groom cats. I of course jumped all over the option since its something I wanted to offer when I graduated and started running my mobile.

I have about 6 regular cat customers at the moment. Cats seem very comfortable in my mobile and I have not had the needed the assistance of another person. I do use a figure 8 harness. I do have cat muzzles, but I have never used them to this date.

I don't think you will have much of a problem since the mobile environment is not nearly as stress as a salon environment for them.

I would also suggest that you take a cat carrier to transport them from the house to the mobile and back to the house.

The only thing I do special for booking is allow an extra (buffer zone) than I would for a dog, since they can be a little more difficult

Comment

I too do cats. I tell the owner to give 'em time to potty and make sure they are in the carrier BEFORE I arrive otherwise, they're still paying for a full groom even if they can't Kitty out from under the bed. That's never happened so far. Anyway, I ususally don't restrain cats in the mobile at all. When I get them onto the table after the bath, I ususally keep a towel wrapped around their rear end. If they ever get too stressed, (which again, has rarely happened) I just let them jump down off the table and calm down. Cats are petty easy to do in the mobile and the funny thing is, they're more than happy to jump back into their carrier!

Comment

If I have multiple cats (from the same house) I only like to have one kitty in my trailer at a time when its bath time. IMO the one in the tub stresses out the next one in line. I prefer to keep my fingers attached. lol

Comment

Just some things to have on hand for when you are grooming cats in a tight space:

Have a table top that they can grab on to, whether it's a towel on your table or some sort of grate.
          Get the Air Muzzle. It's a great tool for the cats who hiss but you aren't 100% sure they're going to bite.
          Get The Absorber, or some sort of really rubbery type of towel. You can use that to hold the scruff of cats without having to put so much pressure on the scruff, while still maintaining a good hold. I have a small piece that I've cut just wide enough to go around the neck, then if I'm dealing with a really nasty cat but don't want to let go, I can clamp down a bit and not worry about digging my fingers into the skin.
          Don't wear loose clothing. You might as well sprinkle catnip on yourself and proclaim you're a scratching post!

I have never had a cat where I absolutely had to have a second set of hands. None. It's not to say that it won't happen, however when you're by yourself, you just learn to be self reliant about the matter. You learn to have all your tools in the proper place so you can keep an eye on things. If you're losing your grip, you know the second to put your tools down, switch hands, and continue grooming.

Have fun! Cat grooming is a blast!

Comment

So far in the mobile I've only had one cat that I told the owners I could not do again. I got enough done by the skin of my teeth. She was a solid matt from ears to tail and was good until I was about 4 inches down her neck, then I couldn't leave her looking like a partially peeled orange! This cat had been going to a vet to be completely knocked out and I do the mans parents cats and said I would try her. In all my years of grooming cats, there has only been one other that topped this one. I got all the matts off of her back and sent her back inside. They were happy she hadn't been knocked out, but she screamed the entire time once she got ticked off and was trying to "punch" me with her paws and bite anything she could. And she didn't seem stressed, just royally P.O.ed! I do a ton of cats in the mobile and this has been the only one that I have ever had a problem with and sent back to the vet. I find most cats do really well in the mobile in the quiet environment. It's funny, I don't restrain every dog, but I do with cats because they can get to places I may not be able to reach if they get off the table. I'd hate for one of them to crawl under my front seat or something. I also charge more for my cats than my dogs even though they tend to take less time.
            What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

i think the only way to be a successful mobile cat groomer one needs to be VERY comfortable around cats. cat grooming is very dangerous and very different then grooming a dog. One severe bite will put you out of work. Not worth it to me. Cat grooming in my area would probably fetch 150 per cat, easy, but i still won;t do it.
              My mom lost the use of one of her fingers due to a cat bite. The finger is in a bent position
              (like the letter "L") and is calcified like a stone. totally immobile. That was after one week in the hospital on 4 different antibitotics.

Comment

mylady, when you sat restrain, what do you use? A harness? Do you ever put an elizabethan collar on the cats you groom?
                www.gomobileandsucceed.com
                http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

You have gotten great advice already so I will just say, I to have only had to return one cat that got a bath and could not get dried. I do about 8 cats on a regular basis right now, and they seem to be fine in mobile.
                  What does a dog do on it's day off?

Comment

Originally posted by wet noze View Post
                    mylady, when you sat restrain, what do you use? A harness? Do you ever put an elizabethan collar on the cats you groom?
                    I use a loop and put one leg through so it can't choke the cat. I've never had much luck with E-collars. I just can't get them on fast enough or tight enough that they stay on before it just ticks off the cat!
                    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

I started doing cats when I first went mobile, but quickly decided that cat grooming was not for me. I am not really a "cat person" I like them OK, but not that into cats, but liked the extra $$ you could charge for cats, so I gave it a try. After a few of them went totally bonkers and turned into the exorcist in my mobile, I declined any further cat grooming. I think you have to really be a cat person and be able to read the cats mood to be a successful cat groomer. I have much respect for those who can do it, it just wasnt for me.

Comment

I like the $$ cats can generate and I've never had a problem with one. My problem is when they pee while drying and then I'm on a mission to find that pee! I hate that! so, I've decided to add an extra 5.00 if I get pee or poop while grooming a cat. But I don't tell the owner that's what the extra charge is for. They just know my prices start at a certain price and are charged more according to coat and dificulty.

Comment

my very best friend is a mobile cat groomer in PA...I wish she could move up here and we could work together.....the $ we can make with her superb cat grooming skills..........She is like a cat whisperer and her skills are wasted in PA where she makes less then 1/2 of what she could per groom

Comment

Nope, never, nada, in mobile. Used to except when a cat bit me good and then attached his claws into my back and couldn't get him to release. I got to busy with dogs. Didn't need to do cats anymore. Would probably do them again in a brick and mortar salon where there was some help. Gooooood Luck

Comment

Working...
                            X