I did what she asked...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did what she asked...

I had a client call to say that her dogs face was a bit too long. My groomer had done her but is on vacation this week. I think when she saw the grooming originally she liked it and then she found, as she said, when the dog rolled on the floor the fur from her mustache ended up on her eyes. So she left me a message saying she wanted her to come out that day preferably to trim the face a little more and she didn't expect to be charged, etc. I mean, she was very matter of fact, polite, but to the point. I called her back, explained she was on vacation but that I would be happy to come out to take a little more off. I was going to be in her area last night so I scheduled it for after my groom, so around 9pm. No biggie, take a few minutes. She calls at 8:30pm to ask if I'm still coming, which I say I am, then she starts apologizing for making me come out "just for this". I tell her it's not a problem, I'm in the area, I'll see her soon. I get there and, OMG is this a cutie patootie little yorkie! She shows me a pic of how she wants the muzzle trimmed and blended and starts telling me "You must be so mad you had to come out here for this"and then continues to apologize. I'm thinking, this is what she asked me to do, why is she apologizing? So I spend the few minutes it takes to trim up the face, return the dog, and again she apologizes, telling me how badly she feels for making me come out for something so small. I finally just said "This is my business, you are a wonderful client and it's important to me that you are happy" which seemed to make her feel better. She then wanted to make sure my groomer wasn't in any trouble. I laughed, told her I already talked to her about it and that she was most assuredly, not in any trouble. LOL. So maybe she was afriad she had gotten her into some trouble. IDK, but I just had to chuckle. After doing exactly what she requested I do, she is the one apologizing to me.
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

You are a dear to do that for free. I ask each client to look over their pet after the groom in case they need something changed as it is easy to do while I am still there. If I have to make another trip to their home at a later day (and even then will only do it within the same week the dog got bathed), then they are charged a nominal housecall fee. I tell them that there would be no charge for the additional grooming, but I do have to cover the costs of running the van out again. I have only ever had to do this twice in 6 years and both were cases where the husband told me one thing when I groomed the dog and the wife, in fact, wanted something done differently. Neither complained a bit about the housecall fee and both actually tipped me another 100% of the fee for being willing to "fix" it without waiting till the next groom.

Comment

I never charge to "adjust" the cut if they call me within a few days. I keep a pretty route so I generally in any of my areas fairly frequently or at least not too far. I can even nip out in my car with my shears for a little trimming if necessary. Most of the people I have done this for (and it's not been all that many) slip me a $5 or $10 even though I tell them there's no charge for the fix. Sometimes they just don't realize it when the dog first comes in but once it moves around and plays a bit they realize they want some more off here or there. Of course only time can fix it when it's too short!

Comment

She did tip me. The dog was done right before Christmas and she called on Monday I think. I figured she waited to call because of the holidays. She's a good client that always prebooks her next appointments and keeps to a schedule and since I am still trying to build daytime clientele for my groomer, those are important. I'm happy to do it, especially when I was right in the area anyway and she was willing to wait until I was. I cover a LARGE area, so I was glad to be in the same vicinity this past week.

Comment

wonderful customer service. you handled this situation the way an owner of a company should handle it
          of course no charge! lady called right away and you just "fixed" what she thought was wrong with the groom. I would have handled this the same exact way

Comment

Good job Mylady! I guess that is a bonus to having a shop vs mobil. If the client wants something "fixed" they have to do the driving....lol j/k.....

I have my clients look over their pets before they leave to make sure they like it. The thing is that sometimes it takes seeing the animal "in action" before you realize something about the trim isn't "working". It would kinda be a shame to loose a good client by charging them a fee to go back and fix the trim, though I understand not wanting to eat the cost of going back.

Do any of you ever go to do a "fix up" trim in your personal vehicle and just take some tools w/you to keep the cost down? Just curious.
            SheilaB from SC

Comment

Originally posted by sheilabgroomer View Post
              Good job Mylady! I guess that is a bonus to having a shop vs mobil. If the client wants something "fixed" they have to do the driving....lol j/k.....

Do any of you ever go to do a "fix up" trim in your personal vehicle and just take some tools w/you to keep the cost down? Just curious.
              i have a few nails only clients that i drive to in my jeep

Comment

Originally posted by sheilabgroomer View Post

I've done that a couple times with some good clients. Had one call me whose dog was very ill and couldn't be groomed. It wasn't anything contagious and he was responding well to treatment. She said he couldn't see because his face had become so overgrown, could I come out and trim it as he was bumping into walls. I went over the day of my daughters birthday party, right before we had to go to Chuck E Cheese for the party. So I just drove my mini van, brought some shears, a comb and brush and had him trimmed up in a couple minutes while my kids played in her mother living room. Luckily her mom has grandkids so there were toys there to keep them occupied and I had of course told her I would need to have my kids there before I came, so she knew everything up front.
                She's a great client, has two dogs that she keeps on very regular schedules (when their health permits) and refers everyone to me. For that, a 5 minute stop is no biggie, especially when I'm going that way anyway.

Comment

Working...
                X