No Sprinter Envy Here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Sprinter Envy Here!

after today I've reconsidered on my idea of just going for bust and buying a Sprinter. I dropped my daugher off at high school tonight for a band production, in the parking lot was this man getting out of a Sprinter. I went over to talk to him about it. ok, its a 2006, company owned. Was quite roomy in the back, plenty of head room, looked bout a foot wider than a van...now get this. He told me it averages 20 miles a gallon! plus, heres the kicker, guess how much to change the oil and filter???? jus guess???

340.00!!! can you believe that??? Im like YIKES!!! he said you can't even check the transmission fluid without having to take it in to be serviced because of the way its located!!! now you add that up...it has to go to dealer for servicing to keep your warrantly! uh, no thank you sir!!!

so, Im trading my Mariner for a Lincoln Navigator..and buying a Gryphon Trailer with inverter! sounds like the plan!

Yeah, Sprinter was out of my price range, and I can't fill with hot water anyway.
    What does the inverter cover in the Gryphon?

Comment

I have a Sprinter 3500 and it costs me (at the dealer) approx. $115 for an oil change. FYI -- Sprinter vans need their oil changed every 10,000 miles! (Personally, I get mine changed every 7,500 because I run the engine while I am blow drying dogs and while the AC is on.) It is a terrific vehicle. Very easy to drive and low maintenance.

Comment

I don't pay that much!

I pay less than $100 for an oil change for my Sprinter. And yes, it is only evey 10K miles. I do it more frequently, but 10K is what the manufacturer recommends. So, you do your oil changes every 3K miles for around $30 and I do mine every 10K for $100 - it all evens out... The gas savings alone make the van worth it to me. Plus, it is fun to drive!

Comment

Hairdevil,

You made it sound like 20 miles per gallon was bad. Maybe I miss read it, but 20 miles a gallon is better than most other vans that size gets. Now, with the wieght of a grooming conversion is going to get worse, but I believe I only get approx. 12 mpg in my WNT. Big van, lot of wieght, big motor.

I like the Sprinter's, but I'm very happy with my Ford E-350.

Just for your info, depending on what you use as a tow vehicle for your trailer, you'd probably get worse than 12 mpg pulling a trailer. Trailers create more drag then a van would. That's assuming your using a Full size Truck as your tow vehicle.

Comment

Rev Wind. Hot water fill? Don't understand.

Revwind. You mentioned filling with hot water. Since I highly promote warm water fill I figure you have to be referring to the Sprinter GX7 but no one fills with hot water. All of the Sprinter GX7 have their own hot water system but also come standard with insulated water tanks so a client can "Warm Water Fill"(you know, bathing temperature water) if they choose to so they don't ever have to adjust water temperature and they never run out of bathing temp water. But it is a free option that comes along with the ability to heat up the entire tank to warm if they don't have a utility sink/faucet that they can use to "warm Water fill" .
            Summary:
            They don't hot water fill.
            They do have: 1. hot water heaters
            2. Insulated tanks to allow a choice of warm water fill.
            plus 3rdly. A filled cold tank can be warmed to bathing temperature while driving to the first stop.

Just wanted to clarify just in case you misunderstood.

As for oil changes... next post.

Curtis

Comment

Eight dealers called and some under $100

The fellow you talked to must have seen the bill and not noticed other things done or he got ripped off.
              Some of the dealers I called were actually under $100.

$92
              $89
              $97
              $108
              $109
              $114(but this one check a lot of stuff while under there like hoses and belts etc.)
              $128(same as the $114)
              $158 (same as the $114)

As for the fuel MPG, we usualy tell clients to expect 22 miles per gallon but a lot of the units sold since last summer have been reporting even better. One of them is on this board and she is doing much better than 22 and she idles a good bit.
              Depending on the tow vehicle, the oil changes and transmission check-ups along with the increase fuel usage far outweighs even the $300 oil change because this oil change will only come around once or twice a year. Keep in mind that tow vehicles should be serviced under a more aggresive maintenance cycle due to the added load.

BTW, I have prowled through a Grypon trailer. It's a nice trailer. You will like it. So get it and go make some good money.....FAST!

Later,
              Curtis

Comment

My Oil change (new filters, check engine, the whole lot) was $199. I get about 25mpg. Mine is a 2007, I got it last September.

Comment

the man I talked to showed me the paperwork. He had an oil change done..they checked the fluid levels and all that I guess, then charged 140. for labor. on the bottom of the page was another charge of replaced oil filter..labor charge again for 140.00...I think when I see him I will tell him he needs to find out why they charged him labor twice when they were doing the complete change?? I bet he never thought about that since it was a company truck..he probably didn't care because he was just driving it, not the actual owner. He did say it got 20 miles a gallon and that was empty..so it did make me question the actual mileage if it had a full conversion on board. I was not knocking the truck itself, I think they're neat as hell...I was just sayn it was wayyyy out of my pocket!

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Hanvey View Post
                    Revwind. You mentioned filling with hot water. Since I highly promote warm water fill I figure you have to be referring to the Sprinter GX7 but no one fills with hot water. All of the Sprinter GX7 have their own hot water system but also come standard with insulated water tanks so a client can "Warm Water Fill"(you know, bathing temperature water) if they choose to so they don't ever have to adjust water temperature and they never run out of bathing temp water. But it is a free option that comes along with the ability to heat up the entire tank to warm if they don't have a utility sink/faucet that they can use to "warm Water fill" .
                    Summary:
                    They don't hot water fill.
                    They do have: 1. hot water heaters
                    2. Insulated tanks to allow a choice of warm water fill.
                    plus 3rdly. A filled cold tank can be warmed to bathing temperature while driving to the first stop.

Just wanted to clarify just in case you misunderstood.

As for oil changes... next post.

Curtis

I misunderstood. Thank you. I had thought that you had to fill with warm or hot water, that it didn't contain a water heater. I don't have the option to fill with warm water where I currently live.

Comment

I'm not knocking trailers, but.....

I had a Dodge 2002 ram 4wd p/up truck to haul my old trailer with.

Only 8 MPG!!!! So if you get a trailer, make sure the vehicle you tow with gets very good mileage, because trailers do bring your mileage down. Dodge trucks aren't know for good mileage to begin with, but that's all I had to work with. It hauled well, but quite a difference when I went to a van.

I did love the space that my trailer gave me, and I loved the fact that no hair got in the cab of my truck unless it came in on my pant legs or something.

In my van, I still get alot of hair in the cab, and I hate that.

You just have the weight the good and bad of each. I don't have a sprinter, but I believe they probably have alot of good benefits over the other vans.

Comment

Run your engine to dry ?

I only run my engine when I'm driving. My van powers everything, including A/C or heater. It's a Van Conversions/Ford E250. & totally runs on batteries. I just need to plug it in at night. Haven't seen that much of an increase in my electric bills either. Hearing other talk about genny maintenance & problems made me look at alternatives. Oh yeah, it is quiet too!

Comment

I love my Sprinter and the Inverter :-)

I called Greenway Dodge (where I get my van serviced) and they told me it is only $199 every other time, the in between is $39.99. For the $199.99 it includes changing air filters, oil filters, and synthetic oil.

Comment

well, all's I can say is stay outta town here! rofl they sure took him for a ride. don't shop at Martin ..alls I got to say bout dat! lol

Comment

20 miles to the gallon is good, especially considering I don't get much better than that in my car some days!

Also, that oil change is the same (10,000 miles) as my husband's BMW, and it's a good deal all the way around.

The Sprinter sounds like a winner to me!

Tammy in Utah
                              Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Working...
                              X