Holy overpriced parts batman!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy overpriced parts batman!

Wow, I need a new muffler. Hubby's school can put it on but I need an OEM part from Ford. They can't use a generic muffler because they don't have the right tools I guess to make them fit. So I called the local Ford parts dealer. I mean, it is a Ford, wasn't expecting it to be more than a couple hundred for the part. Well, for a Ford brand muffler for my van is over $800! The man was kind enough to refer me to a garage he knew of that did good work and was very reasonably priced. I called them and they can do the muffler, installed for $120-$150. Now if I need something more than a muffler it will be more than that of course, but I've had two mechanics look at it and tell me all it needs is a new muffler. I called a local chain muffler store and they quoted me $400 for a new muffler. So now I just have to figure out how to get the van over there Monday morning. It's a very small shop, I don't think they provide rides back home and it's not in the nicest area. Not someplace where there would be a lot to keep a 3 year old busy. I might break down and call a cab! LOL Never taken one of those, wonder how much THAT would be!
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

I saved almost 3G by using google.
    "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
    People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

If you have a diesel, you're paying for stainless steel exhaust pipe.

You can get a muffler MUCH cheaper than Ford OEM. But you will pay more than $200.
      "With God's help, all things are possible!"
      Laura Lee Ray
      I am kats_melody on eGroomer. Follow my Twitter tweets - @ZOOMGROOM on Twitter.com

Comment

Tell me the model/make of your van, please and I will see what I can google. The drawback is you might have to wait for delivery for a few days.
        "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous

Comment

Just curious mylady, since you've purchased this van, how much in repairs have you put into it vs the cost of the vehicle? Just wondering when you're gonna hit the "That's Enuff!" point?

Comment

Originally posted by Doc View Post
            Just curious mylady, since you've purchased this van, how much in repairs have you put into it vs the cost of the vehicle? Just wondering when you're gonna hit the "That's Enuff!" point?
            If it passes what I already spent she wins!

Comment

Gosh, I think I've put about $5K into it in 2 years. That's also what I paid for it, but my new mobile is being built and I just gotta keep this one going until the new one is ready. Spoke to my friend who is building it last night. He apologized that it was taking so long but said he is having a blast doing it and already has plans on what he's going to do to the NEXT one! So looks like he may have a new business venture for himself LOL

Comment

Well, I figure, now thinking about it more LOL, that putting $5K into it in 2 years would be the same as paying $208 a month for a van payment, and there aren't many that I think can pay that little for their mobile, so I think I've gotten my money's worth out of her. And MANY, oh so many, of the early repairs were what hubby would call a "code 19". Since he does tech support a code 19 is where the problem is sitting 19 inches from the computer monitor. But in my case it was 19inches (or so) in front of the steering wheel. let the fuel lines freeze, killed both sets of batteries more than once, fiddled with the heater hose inside my fresh tank and cracked the copper tubing inside leading to a leak of antifreeze in my tank, didn't plug in the block heater regularly, didn't replace the glow plug when my mechanic told me it was ready to go (didn't know it would damage the relay with cost a ton). So I cost myself alot due to plain ignorance. Now the radiator, power steering reservoir, power steering high and low pressure lines, tires, those were all NOT my fault LOL. And if I just added up the cost of those she would have cost me roughly $1400 over the two year period. Wow, man I am my wallets own worst enemy!

Comment

I think that is an excellent way to look at things. LOL @ "code 19 error"! I wonder if you could ever find time to go back through your posts and make a list of stuff you had done wrong in your mobile as a warning to others who are mobile. I'll bet if others were willing to post what THEY had done wrong on the same thread it would be a heck of a resource for other mobilers. Admin might even make it a sticky (I hope). Call it "Code 10 errors" in honor of your hubby.

Comment

Why buy new?? Get some good 'Junk'!

Go to a junk yard. Most cars there have great working parts, especially if they were in a collision. The rest of the vehicle is still in great working order. Junk yards are also great for whole wheels (tires on the rims) and they are like 20% or sometimes cheaper than new and you can get them from the same make and model of whatever it is you are driving.

My brother once spent over $600 on new tires for an older car. He then got rid of the car...I went and took off the new tires and replaced them w/ old junk tires first.

I've been a big junk yard fan for years. Some will allow you to browse the yard and find your parts or vehicle. Believe it or not, the yards are categorized, so 'shopping' is easy. Have your hubbie take a ride and check.

Comment

I agree with JMarti, somethings are good to find at a junk yard. We found alot of stuff at our Pull A Part, this place is fun to wonder around & find your parts you need. We got a mirror & seat belt for my van. The neighbor who helped build my van found a hood for his truck in better shape, same color etc. Its a rare old truck too.

Shannon
                      The Soapy Puppy

Comment

I had a bad experience once at a junk yard and have been too uneasy to go back to one. I know it's not fair to judge them all by one experience and it only had to do with the person working there. He put me in a very awkward position and even had the guts to say something like "you know, if you screamed right now no one would hear you". I think he enjoyed scaring the **** out of me and thankfully I walked away with only emotional scarring. I was 18-19 at the time. So I'm too afraid to go to one by myself now, though there are several around. If I need a new radiator, I will definitely have hubby check out a junk yard. I figure for $120-$150 installed I'm ok with that for the muffler and when I sell it (hopefully soon) at least I can say it has a new muffler! And tires. And power steering pump reservoir. And windshield washer fluid reservoir. And batteries. And heater hose into the fresh tank. And high and low pressure lines for the power steering. And starter. And dash heater, well parts of it LOL. And glow plug, and relay and...
                        Better have the brakes done before those go next!

Comment

Originally posted by Smart-n-Pretty View Post
                          I think that is an excellent way to look at things. LOL @ "code 19 error"! I wonder if you could ever find time to go back through your posts and make a list of stuff you had done wrong in your mobile as a warning to others who are mobile. I'll bet if others were willing to post what THEY had done wrong on the same thread it would be a heck of a resource for other mobilers. Admin might even make it a sticky (I hope). Call it "Code 10 errors" in honor of your hubby.
                          I am going to add that I will probably have stuff to add to the thread if I know myself (and I sorta do).

Comment

Originally posted by mylady View Post
                            I had a bad experience once at a junk yard and have been too uneasy to go back to one. ---......
                            Better have the brakes done before those go next!
                            Junk yards employ a particular type of personnel. I can understand your apprehensiveness, so I made the 'sexist' suggestion to have your hubby go for you. Other than bars, guys love two places...Junk yards and Home Depot.

As for all the repairs you've made. I wouldn't list all of it because, to me, it sounds like your truck is falling apart. Just list the new tires and new batteries. New shocks and radiator sound good as well. Stop there. Mentioning too many replaced parts sounds like you're selling a jalopy. Just list the good parts and mention that it is 'well maintained'. That should do it.

I'm not a mobile groomer...yet, but I've bought, sold and worked on many, many cars.

Comment

Well, it is an 89 LOL but I figure most people will realize some of this stuff is basic mantenance that on vans this old will need replacing. Batts, mufflers, brakes, glow plugs. I wouldn't say it's falling apart but I did come home one day to find a piece had fallen off and I had no idea what it went to. Still ran fine without it and never did figure it out LOL. That was about a year ago.
                              She's a trooper though! She keeps on ticking and only has 265K miles or so on her. being a diesel I figure she has a few more hundred thousand miles left in her!

Comment

Working...
                              X