Generator problem again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generator problem again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here I am again. I have kicked myself very hard for not going with an onan this last time.
    My wagntails had a generac in it when I bought it, so I figured that is what I needed.
    Well, on this new one I bought (second one in 3 yrs.) I find out that it does not have it's own battery the hard way. I was starting the van to leave a clients house, The van would not start and the gene went down as soon as I turned the key. got a jump started the van and had to ride the gas and break to auto zone place, it kept trying to dye out. long story short, my battery was dead, it was one month under warranty, (good thing) did not have to pay for it., however, I get home and read my manual which states that this new gene does not have an internal battery, and should have one installed under the van..The gene guy said that running off the van battery is ok....I am by myself (no significant other, to help with this mechanical stuff.. so I am totally confused. I could have bought the best onan with the money I have spent on this generac. It did not even come with a remote, had to order it extra. plus many other things...The guy at auto zone tried to sell me a optima battery, does anyone know if that will help? I have been fine with this set up for 4 months, and this last week with the new battery (thank god)
    it was fine. but now everytime I go to start the van, I hold my breath. The gene not working the week before christmas would be bad enough, but not getting to appointments at all would have really been a nightmare, with 10 dogs scheduled each day. any advise will be greatly appreciated. I thought all rv generators had their own battery......duh I feel so stupid

There's nothing wrong with a Generac...

From my hubby:

"There's nothing wrong with a Generac generator, your problem is that your generator is wired to your van's battery system instead of having its own dedicated battery. It's not hard to rewire the system so that the generator runs off of its own battery. What you want to do is make sure that all of the 12 volt systems in the grooming salon run off of the same battery the generator does, and when the generator is running it is charging that battery. In some Onan installations, the charging circuits are intentionally disconnected as there is an IOTA inverter that converts the generator power to run 12 volt items like the water pumps, the control boards for the ignition of the water heater and furnace, and the salon entertainment system and refrigerator. The IOTA inverter also charges the battery.

You should have two twelve volt systems, one being for the van's engine and lighting, the other, called a house circuit, should power your 12 volt systems for your salon.

I HIGHLY recommend an Optima deep cycle battery. They do not have a liquid electrolyte and are quite safe, and they can last up to ten years."

My husband built my van from the ground up, and can help you if you need it. Your van conversion manufacturer can help as well, but good luck getting them over the holidays. Since we do not use the PM function on this board, go here and you can get our e-mail and phone number.

Good luck.

Laura
    Last edited by kats_melody; 12-24-09, 09:53 AM. Reason: corrected contact info as we do not use PM function
    "With God's help, all things are possible!"
    Laura Lee Ray
    I am kats_melody on eGroomer. Follow my Twitter tweets - @ZOOMGROOM on Twitter.com

Comment

Wag n tails has an external battery for the gene under the van. I had to replace one once but other than that the batteries have been fine.

Comment

inverter

Originally posted by kats_melody View Post
        From my hubby:

"There's nothing wrong with a Generac generator, your problem is that your generator is wired to your van's battery system instead of having its own dedicated battery. It's not hard to rewire the system so that the generator runs off of its own battery. What you want to do is make sure that all of the 12 volt systems in the grooming salon run off of the same battery the generator does, and when the generator is running it is charging that battery. In some Onan installations, the charging circuits are intentionally disconnected as there is an IOTA inverter that converts the generator power to run 12 volt items like the water pumps, the control boards for the ignition of the water heater and furnace, and the salon entertainment system and refrigerator. The IOTA inverter also charges the battery.

You should have two twelve volt systems, one being for the van's engine and lighting, the other, called a house circuit, should power your 12 volt systems for your salon.

I HIGHLY recommend an Optima deep cycle battery. They do not have a liquid electrolyte and are quite safe, and they can last up to ten years."

My husband built my van from the ground up, and can help you if you need it. Your van conversion manufacturer can help as well, but good luck getting them over the holidays. Since we do not use the PM function on this board, go here and you can get our e-mail and phone number.

Good luck.

Laura
        Thank you so much, I do have an inverter pluged in the back. So will I be ok with this set up or should I get the seperate battery? I am very confused . It has ran ok for four months and like I said I think the battery just wore out because it was old. I got through the holidays, that was my main concern, however, I am booked solid for the next 2 weeks. I will however take your advise and get the optima battery if it will help my situation. I still have 2 weeks of warrenty on this battery and they will exchange it for the difference, about 80.00. I really hate to spend the money on both batteries if i don't have to. I will try to call you after the holidays. Thank You so much for your help. This is just starting to get overwelming to keep up with everything with no help.

Comment

The Optima battery should be connected to the 12 volt circuits in the back of the van, NOT to the batteries that start the van and run the electric circuits that the van came with before it was converted.

If you are having trouble with how it should be hooked up, someone who sells or services recreational vehicles in your area can help you. Make sure that if the 12 volt appliances such as your water pumps, furnace, and water heater ignition are wired to the batteries that start your van, that you REMOVE that connection and keep the circuits separate. Your inverter should, if properly wired up, keep your new Optima battery charged.

If my husband can help, you know how to get in touch.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Laura
          "With God's help, all things are possible!"
          Laura Lee Ray
          I am kats_melody on eGroomer. Follow my Twitter tweets - @ZOOMGROOM on Twitter.com

Comment

Originally posted by kats_melody View Post
            The Optima battery should be connected to the 12 volt circuits in the back of the van, NOT to the batteries that start the van and run the electric circuits that the van came with before it was converted.

If you are having trouble with how it should be hooked up, someone who sells or services recreational vehicles in your area can help you. Make sure that if the 12 volt appliances such as your water pumps, furnace, and water heater ignition are wired to the batteries that start your van, that you REMOVE that connection and keep the circuits separate. Your inverter should, if properly wired up, keep your new Optima battery charged.

If my husband can help, you know how to get in touch.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Laura
            Don't take this the wrong way.If you keep interchanging the term inverter and converter you will confuse the poor service tech or rep who may in turn decide on the phone not to mess with your problem simply because you used the words wrong. A converter turns the AC power from the gen into 12 volt DC while a inverter turns 12 volt dc into 120 volt ac. They work opposite of one another.

Comment

Thanks Zoom Groom

Ok, now I am really confused... Inverter, converter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              I have IOTA Inverter in the back of my van. So does this mean that I do not need a seperate battery for the generator? I really am not as stupid as I sound, but this thing has got me crazy. I should really know more about the equiptment that is paying my bills. I am trying..
              Thanks again,
              I will call you after the holiday and you are back to work, Rest and enjoy your time off.
              Love your website!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              Thanks again
              Dian

Comment

Working...
              X