How BIG is too BIG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How BIG is too BIG?

Had a 170# Newfie yesterday and I think that is my limit!
    Great dog, just bigger than my table!
    Owner likes to keep him long, so it took forever to blow dry!
    2 years old and already had knee surgery. He has a little sister I also groomed, a little Maltese, what a cute couple.
    Attached Files

yikes, it looks like a yooper newfie

Comment

What a doll baby! You did a great job on him!

Comment

I groom the big

dogs on the floor, tied up to something. I like to do an occasional big dog, but not all the time. I've done a Newfie though I don't know his weight. I brought my K-9 Dryer for him and he is a doll. His owner decided to bath her dogs herself so I miss him.
        Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

I've groomed big newfies before but they didn't look quite like that one. Yours had a head almost like a newfiedoodle, LOL. Yeah, I bet that coat took forever to dry!

Comment

I did a GP at the shop this week, the dog was way bigger than me, prob in the 150 -200 lb range. The guy from the pet store put him in the tub for me. We mix our shampoo in gallon jugs them put it in smaller mixing bottles to apply it to the dogs. After using 2 full mixing bottles of shampoo squirting the dog and not making a dent in getting him soapy, I finally said oh he**, grabbed the gallon and just poured it over him,, It took the whole gallon to get him soaped up to my standards, ( I am realy picky about gettin my dogs clean)I did the nails and undercoat while he was in the tub. Thankfully he was a gentle giant, and he let me do his feet and sani sitting on the floor next to him. Make ya wonder, why is such a big dog so gentle and then ya get a 4 lb poodle that tries to eat your hand,,,lol

Comment

I have 6 newfies that I groom (all different households). 3 of them are pretty much the same size as the one in your pictures. I always have to get help getting them in the tub! I get most of the drying done in the tub then finish them up on the floor.

Very nice work on him

Comment

If I figure it out, I'll let you know! My last two yesterday were a Pyre and a Newf. Olive is the biggest Newf I've ever laid eyes on. Fortunately she comes every four weeks. Her mom tips big and she's a sweetie so I try not to cry when I see her coming ;-)
                "The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is in fact the most precious and valuable possession of mankind"-Theodorus Gaza

Comment

had a phone call today;
                  "How much to bathe a big dog?"
                  'what kind of big dog?", I ask.
                  Oh, just a big dog, he replied.
                  what breed of big dog, I persisted.
                  Oh, just a great pyrenese, he replied.
                  You, know, like a labrador, he went on.
                  I know what a great pyrenese is, I replied, and they start at 65 bones for a bath and brushout if they are in good shape.
                  He hung up.
                  I don't like it when people think they are so durn cute about putting one over on us.

Comment

I do quite a few newfies, pyrenees, etc. in my truck. Sometimes I don't think it's necessarily the SIZE that should determine if we do them but rather the temperment. Most of them are pretty good, but those 150-200 lbs 'ers that don't want to cooperate cause us stress on our mind AND our bodies... some behave so well, then there's one that doesn't want To stand still for anything (and of course that's the one the parents want "cut down, but not shaved!" ahhhh!!!)

Comment

I do HUGE dogs and love them- my only issue I ever have is when they won't get their butt out of the tub. I have a Mastiff that I do every 4 weeks and every now and then she will sit and I have to climb into the tub to boost up her butt and force her to walk onto my table.

Comment

I can't really accomodate the biggies in my van just yet, but my new mobile will have a hydraulic tub as well as table! So i took on a Newfy client that said the dog was severely matted on her chest and she couldn't get the dog in her car. So my groomer went out and just shaved her neck for her and when I get the new rig she can get the full treatment.
                        the biggest dog I do right now is an old shepard mix at about 105 pounds. He's leggy and normally well out of my weight range, but I'm a softee for the old dogs that need special TLC. The next biggest would be my 100 lb Standard Poodle! LOL
                        What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Holy Jizz mylady, is your standard that fat or that tall????
                          There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

I hear ya! This little baby boy I do every 3 weeks.... he is 185 and tons of coat... I LOVE him, but he is super passive aggrssive. If he does not want to do it well he just plops down and good luck! I am NOT taking dogs this big anymore. He has been with me for a while but I am trying to take smaller dogs.. You know 120- 140! LOL..
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by OntheBRINKofDisaster View Post
                              Holy Jizz mylady, is your standard that fat or that tall????
                              LOL He's tall and not built daintily like most Standard Poodles. He's pretty barrell chested. Even though he has papers I'm pretty sure there is something else in there. He's about 32 inches at the shoulder.
                              What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Working...
                              X