mobile fee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mobile fee

How much do I charge for a mobile fee? My groom prices are about the same as the shops but when I tell a caller my mobile fee some times thay say ok I will call back . Witch thay usally don't. Do I not mention the fee and just tell them the total? For a small dog I start at $35.00 my fee is $15 to $25 depending on if it is close by or father away. I am in north Ga.

One of the rules of the forum is that we don't discuss actual prices. But those prices seem low to me.

What you need to know is what it COST you to operate. Then add in your desired profit margin. THAT is what you should charge.

A new mobile will have a hard time for the first year until you establish a client list that will stay with you. You want repeat customers, not one time users. If you wish to reward your repeat customers with a reduced rate or other incentives, do that. Don't undercut yourself or try to price match groomers who work from a shop. You can't and still make a living.

We don't charge a mobile fee, our prices reflect our costs and profit.
    "With God's help, all things are possible!"
    Laura Lee Ray
    I am kats_melody on eGroomer. Follow my Twitter tweets - @ZOOMGROOM on Twitter.com

Comment

When I started out I would have the price, the mobile fee & travel fee. People were all confused & personally I was confusing myself. So I did the math & charted it all down. I have my prices by breed & organized into size, tiny, small, med, large. That way I can find the dog by either size first then breed. For me less confusing. My haircuts are about $5 more then you. I still get alot of sticker shock around here. With the economy I lost a few clients & just can't seem to be able to replace them very fast. I still do have a fuel fee. I use mapquest & use the gas calculator, I charge a one way. I've been at it for 3yrs & am slowly learning how to sell the business better, still if I have a down time with no calls on the phone for a while I tend to get rusty on my speech. Lately I've been this way alot. Frustrating. I do get a lot of price shoppers, a few don't freak at the price & those turn into my good reg clients.

Shannon
      The Soapy Puppy

Comment

I think you should set your rates per dog based on what you NEED to make to stay in business and support yourself. Then you can go up a bit if you need, to stay competitive. I do feel that a fuel surcharge is a great idea, especially for those who live further away. One great way to USE the fuel surcharge, is you can offer to remove the surcharge if you can get so many dogs in the same area booked for the same day. For instance, tell the caller that if they have 4 or more dogs, OR have neighbor's willing to book the same time, that you will remove the fuel fee. As a mobile groomer, this will make your time worth it because you can avoid driving between appointments!

Good Luck : )

Comment

Originally posted by PAWS View Post
          I think you should set your rates per dog based on what you NEED to make to stay in business and support yourself. Then you can go up a bit if you need, to stay competitive. I do feel that a fuel surcharge is a great idea, especially for those who live further away. One great way to USE the fuel surcharge, is you can offer to remove the surcharge if you can get so many dogs in the same area booked for the same day. For instance, tell the caller that if they have 4 or more dogs, OR have neighbor's willing to book the same time, that you will remove the fuel fee. As a mobile groomer, this will make your time worth it because you can avoid driving between appointments!

This works great but, let the customer know several times (sweetly) that if one neighbor cancels the others are all charged a fuel fee.
          "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
          People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Excuse Me, I Almost Choked on My Christmas Cookie.....

when I saw how much you're charging for a specialty service such as mobile. I live in a REALLY small town where about half is on some kind of assisted living and my prices are much more than what you're charging. Please remember that we give an exclusive service and you need to charge as such. Don't try to make it sound affordable so that more people will want to use your service, if you're charging accordingly, you'll get people that value their time and pets and will be able to brag to their friends about the great mobile groomer that spoils their baby.

Comment

IDK, when you take the base price and add the mobile charge in it would mean her prices start at $50-$60 (I added correctly right? I'm tired) Depending on area that may be what it can support. When my boss was charging $40 for a Shih Tzu in NY (several years ago) I was only able to charge $22 in Ohio and people complained that was too expensive. Areas differ so much in what they can support. In Manhatten there is a groomer who gave a seminar at a show that only does cats. He will not shave them so will spend however many hours (I believe he mentioned he's done 12) of dematting and charged at the time (about 5 years ago) $80 an hour. Here, near Albany, I doubt many would pay that! It's very subjective. My minimum fee isn't too far from where her fees start total and I'm the highest priced (that I know of, it may have changed) mobile in my area.
              What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Yes Mylady I got the same math as you. For me my base is $55 for haircut. I'm sticking to it, baths are a little less. Probably won't raise prices in 2010. This month I haven't gotten anyone new, take that back one new Yorkie for a bath & slight tidy, everyone new that has called freaks at the price. I'm not sure my area can handle this price anymore. I've been at it for 3yrs, after the first yr I looked through my books & clients that haven't used me for a yr are put in another book. Last yr I had 83 human clients. This yr 50 clients in my book, granted 30ish are good regs now. I'm not building the clients back very fast. Its really frustrating. November sucked big time & December doesn't look that much better. Yesterday get to the clients house & the daughter didn't want her Lhasa & Doodle done this time but didn't tell me so there goes 2 dogs leaving a big hole. Today's Boston bath canceled last night, she's sick. The beginning of the month I had a 3 dog house reschedule for next month due to sickness. So as long as things don't change for the worse the month has 22 dogs total. I was so hoping to see 30. My Jan might be good, already has 18.

Shannon
                The Soapy Puppy
                Last edited by Starshan; 12-18-09, 03:09 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by PAWS View Post

PAWS, I don't know but from what I have read this never works out in the long run and usually turns into a big headache for the groomer.
                  www.gomobileandsucceed.com
                  http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

I am the same. I just figure out the prices based on breeds, sizes, how much work per work and etc. and give the client a total fee. I think it is less confusing for me and the cliens this way. It's still added up to the same amount if you give the clients 2 seperated fees. More explaining to do when you have to try to tell them you charge this much for grooming and that much for travelling fee. If they think the price is too high, however you price it, they are not going to book the appointment anyway. It just takes time.

Comment

Originally posted by wet noze View Post
                      PAWS, I don't know but from what I have read this never works out in the long run and usually turns into a big headache for the groomer.
                      I agree. I think when you get people that try to pinch pennies, they'll see if they can get neighbors together and "share" the fuel fee. This is one of the reasons I've never had one. I sell my services based on the fact that I come right to the client and most are willing to pay for the specialty service.

Comment

I try to tell the clients the "total" price first then let them know that includes...(whatever)...and at the end I add "and that also includes the fee for coming to you! This hits home the fact that I am a specialty service that provides that convenience...so although I charge a bit more, I save them time, money, gas, etc.

Comment

mobile fee thanks everyone

Thank you for the feed backt was helpful. The average does turn out to be around $50 to 60 dollars for a groom. That is were I start.. I will go up The 1st of the year. I got my web site up dont know if it has helped much. Look at it and see what yall think, www.vangoghgrooming.com Do yall think I should post my pricing on it?

Comment

Originally posted by mobilegroomer View Post
                            Thank you for the feed backt was helpful. The average does turn out to be around $50 to 60 dollars for a groom. That is were I start.. I will go up The 1st of the year. I got my web site up dont know if it has helped much. Look at it and see what yall think, www.vangoghgrooming.com Do yall think I should post my pricing on it?
                            For the 5 months I had my prices on my website my phone was about dead, sucked. Now I'm not 100% it was due to the prices or not but once I took it off my phone started ring again. I think it was just too confusing to them. They would see Bath price then Haircut price & think they had to add them so freaked them out. Also when I took my prices off & left one price up there for Bath & Go, I groomed one dog then about 5wks later she calls me freaking out that I charged her $55 when my website said $25. Well a bath & Go her dog size is for a short haired toy dog that only gets toweled off, back to the owner damp. Didn't think she wanted her toy poodle like that. She was so pissed, glad she is gone. I no longer offer the bath & go because I felt like I wasn't finishing the dog. I no longer have prices up there as the prices go up & down depending on what is done & I couldn't show the client that on the website.

Shannon
                            The Soapy Puppy

Comment

One More Thing....

If you're at all timid when quoting your prices to potential customers, they'll sense it, and try to get you to lower your prices. I get, "she's a really, tiny, poodle." or, "He's a short-haired mix." These kinds of people are pros at price shopping at will try every trick in the book. Stand firm on what your work is worth and you'll get the kinds of clients that value a great mobile grooming service.

Comment

Working...
                              X