working while injured

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• working while injured

I injured my bicep on wed while lifting a dog into the tub. I worked thur not able to lift my upper arm. So today (fri) I can't work either!! I know alot of groomers give up on big dogs, I think I need to do the same. I cant stop working, so what do I do? It is mighty hard to scissor a top knot and not lift the upper arm. Any ideas?

oh ouchy. I hurt my rotator cuff and I couldn't lift my arm and man, did that hurt. Maybe you should see a doc. If anything, try to rest it if you can. If you don't, it won't heal or you might make it worse. This is a tough time to have a booboo. Hope you feel better. And yes, give up the big dogs. Those'll get you every time! PS If you can't lift your arm to scissor, lower the dog way down on the table and see if that will work.
    www.gomobileandsucceed.com
    http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

Ouch

I had to give up big dogs (over 40lbs) after I was injured at work. Tore a disk in my back and sprained everything from my mid back to ankle on my left side. Let yourself heal or you may do permanent damage and won't be able to groom which would really be a boring life. Good luck.

Comment

suggestion

my suggestion? hydraulic table (dont lift the dog up/down), and put it right next to tub so they can get in/out themselves.

Comment

I tried to work through a minor injury. It turned it into a major injury, resulting in a dislocated vertebrae and misaligned hips. Seriously, one leg was a full 2 inches shorter than the other! It was excruciatingly painful, cost me a month off work and taught me a valuable lesson.

If you cannot afford to take a few days off to allow your body to heal itself, how are you gonna find time to take WEEKS off when your body simply gives up and things stop working? As hard as it may be, I suggest a doc (or a good chiro if you can find one), and a few days rest for your poor arm.

I still do big dogs, but Im very careful about lifting and/or heaving them around. I lift one or two paws at a time, then usually use my chest and shoulders to gently lift their rear end into the truck/tub. If they're too big for that, I call the owner. If the owner isn't around, I call Bossman. And if HE's not available, doggie doesn't get done.

Hope you're feeling better soon.
          Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
          George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Comment

No more biggies

Someone's suggestion about the hydraulic table is not really adequate if you strained something lifting the dog. The reason I say that is because many large dogs will strain you just from lifting them from sitting on the table, or arguing about a leg, or whatever else.

Your injury to your bicep may be too great a stress on something called a "nerve plexus". I think that is where one is located.

They take a long time to heal, if that is the case. Be easy on it. Too bad it's your scissoring hand. I damaged my non-scissoring arm like this years ago, and could feel it for over a year.

Comment

I gave up anything over 25-30 lbs about 5 years ago. My chiropractor was seeing me several times a month for back and shoulder problems and he told me that my problems were being aggravated by lifting and pulling on the big heavy dogs. He told me I could either keep doing the big heavy dogs and have a short painful grooming career or lower the size of the dogs to a manageable weight and groom for many more years. I chose to keep grooming......

Comment

Originally posted by schnlove View Post
                I injured my bicep on wed while lifting a dog into the tub. I worked thur not able to lift my upper arm. So today (fri) I can't work either!! I know alot of groomers give up on big dogs, I think I need to do the same. I cant stop working, so what do I do? It is mighty hard to scissor a top knot and not lift the upper arm. Any ideas?
                >>>

You do what you have to do. I had a bad, infected bite, and while getting treatment for it broke my ankle. So my left leg and hand were pretty shot. I got a brace for my ankle, and a brace for my left hand, and just groomed through it. No big dogs though.

Comment

Working...
                X