Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work Day?

Hello All:

Another newbie here! Been watching the list for a little while now and appreciate all of the posts and replies..thanks.

My situation...I am purchasing a gently used wnt elite and hope to be on the road by mid 2010. I am curious to know how busy most of your keep yourselves? How many dogs in a typical day? I realize this can depend greatly on skill. How many days a week do you work? How large of an area do you cover?

Thanks to anyone who cares to respond and stay safe to all!

CP
    Seahorselady

I do 7-10 dogs a day, but I only do dogs under 35 lbs. LOVE THAT ! Also all my appts. are within a few miles of each other so I don't have much travel time. I mean lets face it, your only making money when your grooming not driving. My zone is pretty tight.

Comment

Originally posted by 25yrsofclips View Post
      I do 7-10 dogs a day, but I only do dogs under 35 lbs. LOVE THAT ! Also all my appts. are within a few miles of each other so I don't have much travel time. I mean lets face it, your only making money when your grooming not driving. My zone is pretty tight.

Wow...I only do 5 a day, I am priced right and don't want the stress of doing shop numbers mobile.

Newbie,
      You should based the number of dogs and days you work on your operating costs and what you need to make in order to profit.

Comment

Originally posted by baddog View Post
        Wow...I only do 5 a day, I am priced right and don't want the stress of doing shop numbers mobile.

Newbie,
        You should based the number of dogs and days you work on your operating costs and what you need to make in order to profit.
        I am about $15 dollars higher then the shops in my area and thats all the area will support. It would be great if it could be higher, but.....at least I'm busy. I have to do a lot of dogs as I have a daughter in collage getting her bachelors in nursing so I' m paying for 2 households right now. 8 today, 9 tomorrow, 10 on Sunday. Yes, Sunday.

Comment

I groom 6-8/day and work 4 or 5 days/week. My target goal is 30dogs/week. I actually prefer to do 8/day and only work 4 days rather than 6/day and work 5 days. My days usually start with my first appointment scheduled at 8am and my last no later than 4:30 pm. (usually my last is at 3:30)

Comment

My van was cheap LOL so I can keep my days light. Very low overhead so 1 1/2-2 grooms each week covers expenses. So on Sundays, the only day I work a full day, I don't like to do more than 4. If I wanted to do 7-10 dogs I would still be in a salon! I couldn't imagine still doing that many a day every day. I could do up to 6 on a Sunday, but I don't really like to. I try to keep my days to certain areas so I am not driving all over as I cover 3 counties. In the beginning it was tough as I would take whatever called, no matter where it was on that day, so I could spend 2 hours just in driving time. But now that I have enough clients, I can get them all to schedule when I am going to be nearby. My groomer that works days for me is still building clientele (I work evenings and Sundays) so she is the one doing a ton of driving right now, but we'll get it down. it's just tough starting up usually. I may have a cheap van, but as far as I know, I am the most expensive mobile in the area. I do dogs up to 70 pounds and cats. Cats are a huge money maker if you feel comfortable doing them alone. I can do a cat in 30 minutes and make a little less than $95. Won't mention my actual prices of course, but my cats are usually the most expensive. I based my prices on what I needed to make to cover costs and then actually upped that because my costs were so low. I have a minimum fee as well, so I know I'll never make less than $XX. Once both my kids are in school I'll be able to work some days as well which will be nice. I do work 6 days a week, but after the holidays I'm cutting Mondays out so I have Monday night free.
            What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

I work 4 days/week

I had started out working 5 (M-F), but developed tendonitis and the doc said to cut my hours back. I did so and it has helped tremendously! I also don't accept any dogs that I think will cause me problems for my tendonitis and did have to let two go that were giving me big problems with it. My elbow is great now and only sometimes bothers me.

I was generally doing 5-6 dogs/day, but now am cutting back a bit to 4-5/day. I have a loan payment, but it is much lower than if I had bought a fancier rig. The area I work/live would not support a large loan payment. Many people about pass out when I talk price with them as it is. I am the only mobile here, but I don't think the area could support another one.

The number of dogs I do per day depends greatly on the dogs. I have many short/smooth coated bath dogs and I can do a whole lot more of them in a day than haircuts. I have done as many as 9 one day, but they were mostly little smooth coats with a couple haircuts. Also, you save time if you have multiple dogs at one stop. I've had days were 2 or 3 was all I did - big hairies, or fancier trims.

Comment

I should probably keep my big mouth shut and don't mean to hyjack but would you consider raising your prices? If one person drops out you'll still make about the same amount of money and you'll have one less dog to do. You do an awful lot of dogs. I don't know how you do it. You're working way to hard IMO. My comment is only with the best intentions.
                www.gomobileandsucceed.com
                http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

I average about 30 dogs per week...work Mon-Fri from approx 8-5. I'm not a fast groomer. That does not include the 1/2 hour commute to my service area each way. If I have a day that is all full grooms at all separate homes, five or six would be a very full day. But most days I have at least two appts with two dogs, which speeds things up considerably. On days where I have a good mix of bath and full groom dogs I can do 7-8 dogs a day.

I'm considering working longer days and cutting back to a four day week.

Comment

Today I did....

10. That almost never happens. My usual is about 3 to 6. Today I did 10 cause most of them were baths and the 4 with haircuts are done every 3 to 4 weeks, so basically it's just FFT and a little skim over with the SF attachment. I got done at 4:00. Started at 9. Since it's slowed down a little (calm before the Christmas Storm) I move over dogs if I only have one or two scheduled for the day so I end up with a full day. The other 2 days I take off. Not worth it to hitch up my trailer for 1 or 2 dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by wet noze View Post
                      I should probably keep my big mouth shut and don't mean to hyjack but would you consider raising your prices? If one person drops out you'll still make about the same amount of money and you'll have one less dog to do. You do an awful lot of dogs. I don't know how you do it. You're working way to hard IMO. My comment is only with the best intentions.
                      I,m not offended by what you said at all. The truth of the matter is even if I charged double what I charge now, I woulden't work less. I would just make more money. I'v always been a hard worker, and I believe you only have so many years to make money. I don't have any children at home( daughters in college) and I love what I do. I have a beautiful home with nice things and I raised my daughter by myself without ANY financial help. I work hard because I want to. I like the money.

Comment

I work Tu-Sa, 5 days a week. Sometimes I work Mondays as I do have a little demand for it but hubby has Sun - Mon off so I try not to except for Nov & Dec. I take appts starting at 9am - 3pm is average I have one client about 5miles away that I start at 4pm. My 5yr daughter is always with me so I don't want her out too late. I do 4-5 dogs. I'm in my 3rd yr but work is still light, I still have days with no grooms. Nov this yr was majorly slow I did 17 dogs. Already for Dec I have 23 dogs on the books. In Oct I did 27 dogs.

Shannon
                        The Soapy Puppy

Comment

I,m not offended by what you said at all. The truth of the matter is even if I charged double what I charge now, I woulden't work less. I would just make more money. I'v always been a hard worker, and I believe you only have so many years to make money. I don't have any children at home( daughters in college) and I love what I do. I have a beautiful home with nice things and I raised my daughter by myself without ANY financial help. I work hard because I want to. I like the money.
                          It's so nice to read your post. I'm with ya!
                          www.gomobileandsucceed.com
                          http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

Working...
                          X