new and confused!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new and confused!

I will be starting my mobile business this summer and am researching all I can about how to operate the business end of it. Do most of you experienced business owners price by the dog or by the hour?? Also, can anyone recommend any of the downloadable "how to" run a grooming business or write a business plan info?

I'll also need to learn about software needed to run efficiently. Thanks to all for your wisdom and advice!!!

Older and still confused!

About pricing...I started my Mobile Business right out of groom school so therefore hourly didn't fit for me. If you price by breed then I can tell you what I did and you can use this advice or not.
    I made a list of each small breed.
    I listed a price for bath, brushout, and blowdry.
    I listed a price for full groom.
    I returned calls in the evening or whenever I could give that call my full attention with my "Salesperson's Hat" on.
    I had my price list in front of me for the first couple months.
    It helped for me to see the price in front of me.
    Most of my pricing mistakes that I made in the beginning were made while I was enroute and not being tatally focused on listening to the potential customer.
    Business Plans...after going over the examples that the folks at Wag'n Tails shared with me, Reading Problems to Profits, and gleaning these wonderful message boards...I seemed to be able to put it together with the help of ...are you ready for this one..."Small Business for Dummies".
    I think that the Business Plan was the most difficult hump to get over.
    I just was paralyzed thinking about it.
    I loved doing my brochures. Did them on Word Office. I tweeked for weeks in the wee hours of the night.
    Now, two and a half years later...I need to reorganize the STUFF in my van. I have all my ideas rolling through my head when I am behind the windshield but I just want to go home when I am done grooming. I am hoping that now that it is lighter later I won't feel like "I need to get home and run my dog." so badly.

Comment

Welcome!

There is Grooming Business in a Box, which Stephen can tell you more about, as well as the book From Problems to profits. As far as pricing, I'm still in my shop, but will be going mobile this summer, too- I currently price by the dog, and will continue to do so once I switch. I use KennelSuite for my grooming software, and QuickBooks to keep track of everything else.lol Good luck! :-)

Comment

get 123petsoftware...its great...also, if you get groomer to groomer magazine, there is a dvd you can buy all about mobile grooming. grooming business in a box is what you need for a business plan and many many other things. Its on the petgroomer.com site..check it out! good luck! will you be doing van or trailer? where are you located?

Comment

I had a mobile friend in the area who was willing to share her pricing with me and was able to advise me if I had a question. Also, when I give an estimate over the phone to a potential customer I always add that I have to see the dog the first time. Most of the time, the dog is in a much worse condition then they describe. Don't forget to factor in clean up time and explain that to the customer. Don't undercharge. I use Quick Books Simple for my book keeping. I would also spend lots of time reading all old posts on this board and others as you can get a real eduction here from the pros. It helped me tremendously.
          www.gomobileandsucceed.com
          http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

Originally posted by shearcanine View Post
            I will be starting my mobile business this summer and am researching all I can about how to operate the business end of it. Do most of you experienced business owners price by the dog or by the hour?? Also, can anyone recommend any of the downloadable "how to" run a grooming business or write a business plan info?

I'll also need to learn about software needed to run efficiently. Thanks to all for your wisdom and advice!!!
            You have made a good start. Do you have any grooming experince? Have you talked to your local mobiles? What area are you in? Have you checked city, state requirements? Animal regs? Do you have an accountant, if so ask them about what kind of book keeping software they what you to use. Quickbooks has a little feature that allows you to send your books to them for review? Is this your first business adventure? Keep great records.

Comment

Hi I price by the dog according to breed how long it's been since the dog has been groomed.What kind of clip they want. I also ask how big the dog is.It's important to have a business plan and to have goals for your business.Good luck on your adventure.

Comment

New and Convused

Wow, great input, thanks! I have been grooming for exactly 10 years now with 5 years managing big corporate grooming salons in both Maryland and now Charlotte, NC. I am in the process of looking for an accountant and know a business plan is extremely important to put together. This is my first time trying to be in business for myself and find this tool (Groomer talk) very enlightning.

I will check into the groomer in a box materials.

Comment

Originally posted by wet noze View Post
                  I had a mobile friend in the area who was willing to share her pricing with me and was able to advise me if I had a question. Also, when I give an estimate over the phone to a potential customer I always add that I have to see the dog the first time. Most of the time, the dog is in a much worse condition then they describe. Don't forget to factor in clean up time and explain that to the customer. Don't undercharge. I use Quick Books Simple for my book keeping. I would also spend lots of time reading all old posts on this board and others as you can get a real eduction here from the pros. It helped me tremendously.
                  Hey, Wet Noze, Do you get people who are just "looky-loos"? I thought about going this route, but I'm afraid I'd get people that will say, "no, too much. Thank you." This worked in a salon when people would call about pricing, but I don't think it would work in a mobile situation. I don't want people to get the idea that I can go to their house just to see how much I'd charge. I'm also new and starting up my mobile this May.

Comment

Working...
                  X